LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake actuator service bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-17, 07:39 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I am probably one of the very few who are on their second replaced brake actuator. That said, the PO complained immediately according to the service notes after the first replacement that the brakes were not acting properly.

When the VCS/ABS freakout occurred, it was intermittent and by the time I took it to the dealer, the light was off. My Service Advisor thought it was going to be an ABS sensor only to discover it needed a new actuator.

The dealer could not have been more accommodating about replacing it and there was never even a question about it not being done under the extended warranty. Then again, the last one was only installed about 12,000 miles ago.

Since the replacement, the difference has been stark. When I first got it, it would pulsate at low speeds. Especially when braking downhill like when coming off the interstate. Now, it could not be smoother.
Old 01-08-17, 07:41 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by johnricci
Are you in Charleston?
**Post was meant for an earlier post from John Ricci**
From what I have read, in order for Lexus to replace the actuator, the VCS/ABS light needs to have gone off. Even if it goes off, the codes will be stored.
Old 03-02-17, 05:39 AM
dgmorr
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anyone know if this Enhanced Warranty is available in Canada as well? I don't see anything when I enter my VIN on Lexus.ca.

I just replaced the actuator on my 4Runner because it had failed. Even a DIYis about $1400 for a refurb unit. In this case, it is the electric motor that dies. On mine in particular, the brushes had worn the commutator down to the core. I would be curious to take apart a failed LS460 unit to see if it is the same cause.

Old 03-06-17, 03:58 AM
johnricci
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Copy of warranty

Originally Posted by tlk2megoos
Haso anyone been successful with this recall? I'm at the only dealer here and they won't cover it even with the lights on. I also did not receive the recall letter but came armed with this info which they conveniently deny.
do you still want a copy of the warranty? I can email it to you if you do. I was basically kicked out of Lexus of Charleston for mine. I didn't expect them to cover it as I didn't have any lights on. I got pissedcwhen they tried to blame the noise on my after market control arms and the fact that I don't take my car to them for service. You can hear the brake actuator noise when my car is in Park. How can that have anything to do with control arms? Anyway, I was not unhappy that they wouldn't do the warranty work, I was unhappy because they were talking BS.
The following users liked this post:
tlk2megoos (04-01-17)
Old 03-30-17, 12:33 PM
sarigd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need assistance with service for brake actuator

Hello members,

I am the owner of a Lexus LS460 (from year 2010, with 110k miles) and experienced the breakdown of the brake actuator, with all the lights exactly like described here.

Where I live, Lexus claims they do not recognize the matter as something of their responsibility, so I am asking for your help.

It would be very useful for me to receive any kind of help from anyone who can post here or send me a copy of the notice from Lexus showing that they took responsibility and recognized this event as a production malfunction in their part and not usual tear&wear.

I hope to receive some help here so I can try to recover part of the 2.5k$ I had to contribute to Lexus for the fix.

Many thanks!
Old 04-01-17, 10:58 AM
JMac1035
Driver School Candidate

NotADood,

Many thanks for your clarification. While not related to this thread on brakes, I've been struggling with a 'flare shift' between 2nd and 3rd gear. Started out as just first thing everyday, but now is more often throughout the day. After replicating the problem with diagnostic computer connected, the transmission was replaced. Still having same problem. Then an oil leak develops, so they drop transmission again, and replaced the rear main seal. It still leaked, found it to be the O ring for oil dipstick tube. That part is fixed now, but, same flare shift happening after all of this. I'm getting pretty wore out with visiting the dealer so often, and still having same issues. Any advice? I love the car, dealer folks are friendly, but feeling like I need to reach out to corporate. Bought the car CPO, and it's still under the 70K warranty.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

JMac
Old 04-01-17, 11:14 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JMac1035
NotADood,

Many thanks for your clarification. While not related to this thread on brakes, I've been struggling with a 'flare shift' between 2nd and 3rd gear. Started out as just first thing everyday, but now is more often throughout the day. After replicating the problem with diagnostic computer connected, the transmission was replaced. Still having same problem. Then an oil leak develops, so they drop transmission again, and replaced the rear main seal. It still leaked, found it to be the O ring for oil dipstick tube. That part is fixed now, but, same flare shift happening after all of this. I'm getting pretty wore out with visiting the dealer so often, and still having same issues. Any advice? I love the car, dealer folks are friendly, but feeling like I need to reach out to corporate. Bought the car CPO, and it's still under the 70K warranty.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

JMac
Are there any other Lexus dealers in your area?
Old 04-01-17, 06:51 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 323 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by sarigd
Where I live, Lexus claims they do not recognize the matter as something of their responsibility, so I am asking for your help.

It would be very useful for me to receive any kind of help from anyone who can post here or send me a copy of the notice from Lexus showing that they took responsibility and recognized this event as a production malfunction in their part and not usual tear&wear.
Was it Lexus Corporate in Israel or your Lexus dealer that refused to help. If it was the dealer, try the local corporate offices.

Can someone help this guy and post a copy of the "warranty enhancement"? I didn't keep mine after I traded the '07 in.
sarigd (05-02-17)
Old 04-02-17, 12:04 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 479 Likes on 353 Posts

Keith/sargid

I have scaned the documents into my laptop but I do not know how to post here on the forum? If you want to send me your e-mail via PM I will e-mail them to you.

Dennis
sarigd (05-02-17)
Old 04-02-17, 12:47 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
Turning rotors is really a huge waste of time and money. Making your rotors thinner, wow how stupid is that?
Turning rotors used to be a wholly valid way to true up warped ones.

This stopped when MPG became more and more difficult to increase, and being a rotating mass, brake rotors were pared back to the bare minimum of thickness/mass.

So, be aware, it hasn't been a waste of time/money...and really, $10 to turn a pair of rotors isn't any big deal...forever, just in the past 20-25 years, or so.

What's stupid is replacing something which can be inexpensively fixed and reused.
Old 04-02-17, 01:31 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 479 Likes on 353 Posts

I am not sure about it being stupid given that most of the old rotors get moved to the recycled scrap iron bin. I doubt that many end up in the land fill. I look at it like this, I have a lot ridding on those brakes and if spending a few extra bucks gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling and the Lord has provided the resources to be able to do that, who am I to cheap out? It surely cannot be as stupid as spending $6-7 dollars for a cup of coffee when you can make a whole pot for 40 cents!

Dennis
Old 04-02-17, 05:54 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Oh, I don't disagree that most times, even with old cars/rotor mass, new bought you more time and much less concern.

I didn't mean to insinuate old rotors get binned, but rather, making new ones requires quite a bit of energy, but if you can get 50K miles out of the old ones by merely turning them, then it's a win all around.

I figure the rotors on my '08 are original, but when I put brakes on it, I'm going with new discs all around, slotted (but NOT drilled), with some EBC pads. Did this on the last car I had and there was a very obvious difference, in a good way.
Old 04-03-17, 02:15 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 323 Likes on 281 Posts

Hmm...... I've never got less that 100,000 miles from a set of rotors/pads for the last 20 years. Maybe I'm just a slow poke!

Old 05-01-17, 08:26 PM
lluongmbk
Driver School Candidate

Default Warranty Enhancement Program - ZLG

Hi members,

I have 2008 LS460, and the brake actuator failed 3 days ago. Base on the Warranty Enhancement Program - ZLG, Lexus should pay for the repair of the fail actuator.
I have tried to look up the Warranty Enhancement Program on the internet but could not find it.

Any member who has it please help to send it to me at lluongmbk@yahoo.com, and I am very much appreciated.

I would like to have this document then bring my car to the dealer ship so they would not deny paying for service.

Thanks a lot.
Luong
Old 05-01-17, 10:57 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lluongmbk
Hi members,

I have 2008 LS460, and the brake actuator failed 3 days ago. Base on the Warranty Enhancement Program - ZLG, Lexus should pay for the repair of the fail actuator.
I have tried to look up the Warranty Enhancement Program on the internet but could not find it.

Any member who has it please help to send it to me at lluongmbk@yahoo.com, and I am very much appreciated.

I would like to have this document then bring my car to the dealer ship so they would not deny paying for service.

Thanks a lot.
Luong
Late last December I had my actuator replaced and it was covered by Lexus with a complete absence of drama. This was my third actuator when factoring in the original. Unlike the second one that the PO complained about having the same issues almost immediately, when I got mine back, the difference was night and day and remains so to this day.

9 months before to purchasing my 2007, the previous owner likewise had his replaced under the campaign. That said, he was having issues almost immediately with abnormal performance during stop and go and especially when applying the brakes on a downhill ramp especially during the rain.

They responded to this by doing a brake job which did not do any good with the pulsation and what felt like grinding when applying moderate braking in the aforementioned conditions.including wet conditions.

While I grudgingly I accepted these conditions, eventually the VSC warming light would appear intermittently to the point it happened at least weekly. Apparently. if the VSC light gets tripped, Lexus will replace the brake actuator no questions asked.

I do remember reading that Lexus changed the conditions of the :Service Campaign" effective December, 31, 2016 (just got mine done in the nick of time and actually picked it up on NYE) so you might want to look into what changes might have been applied.

Last edited by Junglequac; 05-02-17 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Trying to write a fairly long post a 1 am on a bloody iPhone

Quick Reply: Brake actuator service bulletin