LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Starter switch problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-11, 05:35 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by caha14
Look no further than this pdf... Your dealer should have known about this, as it's a known problem.
This problem started for me two weeks ago ... shortly after disconnecting the battery to installation the ViasTech ML+. Until I saw this thread I was at a loss as to what was going on, for it is quite annoying and leaves me with an uneasy feeling that the car may not start once shut down. Some times it takes three tries before it stays running. My first thought was a bad battery in the car or key fob. Thanks for providing the TSIB, for this is definitely what I'm experiencing; planning to head over to the dealership with the thought that my extended warranty should cover it.
Old 10-03-11, 10:25 AM
dadopee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter problems

Originally Posted by KYLS
This problem started for me two weeks ago ... shortly after disconnecting the battery to installation the ViasTech ML+. Until I saw this thread I was at a loss as to what was going on, for it is quite annoying and leaves me with an uneasy feeling that the car may not start once shut down. Some times it takes three tries before it stays running. My first thought was a bad battery in the car or key fob. Thanks for providing the TSIB, for this is definitely what I'm experiencing; planning to head over to the dealership with the thought that my extended warranty should cover it.
Precisely what I experienced. I went to the dealership. They wanted me to wait "and see!" Then I wrote Lexus USA, siting the following: Lexus bulletin: L-SB-0161-08, released on November 11, 2008. This internal Lexus bulletin addresses this problem, but so far Lexus has chosen to not publicize it. They responed to me that they would take care of it. They spoke to the local dealership and everything was taken care of. Remember, my warranty had run out when this happened. Good luck. Victor Pavamani
Old 03-07-14, 02:52 PM
ISAgent
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, I'm a first time poster. This forum is very, very good.
My '06 IS350 with 78k miles has this issue. Tom Wood Lexus in Indianapolis charged me $1300 to replace the starter instead of just replacing the ignition switch under this TSB about 10 months ago when the car had about 70k miles on it. Do you think 1) Lexus will fix the switch for free even though I'm out of warranty and 2) will I be successful when asking Lexus Corp to refund the $1300 starter repair cost when it was working fine?
Thanks!
Old 04-30-14, 04:35 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

anyone have information on how to remove the starter button and replace it? That PDF above links to something I can't get to. I think this is going on with my wife's car.
Old 05-01-14, 07:06 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by burny
anyone have information on how to remove the starter button and replace it? That PDF above links to something I can't get to. I think this is going on with my wife's car.
I am sorry I only have the guide for the '13 but hopefully it will help get you started in the right direction. The PDF should be attached to this post.

-Joe
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Start Switch Removal.pdf (672.0 KB, 382 views)
Old 05-01-14, 07:10 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Attached is the procedure to inspect the switch.

-Joe
Attached Thumbnails Starter switch problems-switch-inspection.jpg  
Old 05-01-14, 01:54 PM
lex460l
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rz_racer
I am having something similar happen to me as well.

What I have noticed is when I get in the car and get ready to start the car, I depress the brake pedal, and as normal the light on the start button turns green and ready to start. I depress the start button and the car starts and idles just fine, but all of a sudden the light on the start button turns off and as soon as I let go of the start button the car shuts off. Its almost as if the car doesn't sense I am pressing the brake pedal any longer and then the security feature shuts off the car. This doesn't happen all the time, and wouldn't you know it, it never happens at the dealership. I thought it tended to happen when the its hot outside after being parked in the sun all day, but it has also happened to me first thing in the morning while being parked in a cool garage all night....

When this does happen it takes like 2 or 3 attempts and then it works fine. And after a successful startup, if I stop the car and then try to make it do it again, it won't happen and it won't happen all day or even a couple of days. But every now and then it happens....

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

thanks
i had this same exact problem on a 2010 infiniti fx35 and they couldn't figure it out, they just kept replacing the battery which didn't help, finally after speaking to consumer affairs they sent out the regional tech and i showed him a video and he instantly claimed he knew what it was...he told me the grounds needed to be cleaned, they kept the car for the day, did the job and from that day till about a month later it didn't happen, finally it did....never sent that guy out again but what i noticed was if i were to start the car and mash the gas it would start as it should, still don't know what it was up to now though