LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 LS460 vs. 2010 new Genesis 4.6 tech

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-12, 07:57 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Helmar

Still, though, every time I think about trading in my 2008 LS600hL, I keep remembering that virtually every feature I really like is already in my 5 year old (got it in 2007) car.

HBH
My thoughts exactly. Bought a CPO 600hL and for the price I paid , I would not be able to get these options and reliability in any other car
Old 09-19-12, 10:47 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes the Genesis has a ten year warranty, but exclusions too numerous to mention. I will say our 06 LS, abused as a family car with young children still feels in almost new condition. I have no illusions Lexus builds the better car, but not the better value. I saw an ad for the new five series with night vision, apps, and which can read road signs and put the speed limit on the windshield with HUD. Lexus is not leading the class in tech.

I went to get the plates off my SC430 and took a look at the new ES and LS. The interriors of these cars is amazing. A 268hp V6 for 45K, or a base LS for 75K just don't seem worth it these days.
Old 09-20-12, 01:54 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The way I see it right now at this moment it doesn't compare. I think though in time it'll be more and more of a force to recon with. Hyundai of the 90s was Honda in the 70s-early 80s. Quality lacked as well as performance but look at both companies now. And now with the luxury market I see Hyundai as the Lexus of the early 90s. Offering similar luxuries of it's competitors at a fraction of the cost. That early LS400 made MB, BMW, jag etc step their game up. Lexus now has to step up with all the competition.
Old 09-20-12, 08:13 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Speaking of Hyundai Genesis. I was leaving a friends house today and we were outside talking near my LS and a guy and his wife on the other side of the street asked,
Him: "Is that a Genesis?"
Me: "No it's a Lexus LS460."
Him: "Are those Lexus wheels?"
Me: "No they are aftermarket"
Him: "Looks nice!"

My friend just smacked his head..
Old 09-21-12, 07:17 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

He mistook a beautiful Genesis for just a plain LS, how insulting.... First thing my boss said in our parking lot was, You bought a Mercedes?

Why design a car yourself when you can just rip off more expensive ones?
Old 09-21-12, 08:56 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Funny couple days ago a genesis 4.6 was passing us on the fwy and my wife says 'Is that a Bentley?' lol
I told her it's genesis from hyundai and 'we might get one'. Then she said 'OK!'
Old 09-21-12, 12:22 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

The closer comparison is the Equus
Old 09-21-12, 05:54 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lbintab
My point exactly! Why the LS is in a discussion with the Genesis is beyond me.
Old 09-21-12, 06:41 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KA8
Funny couple days ago a genesis 4.6 was passing us on the fwy and my wife says 'Is that a Bentley?' lol
I told her it's genesis from hyundai and 'we might get one'. Then she said 'OK!'
Its amazing how many are de-badged or re-badged. removing the "H" and replacing it with the wings to make it not look like they are not dirving a Hyundai.

It's a nice car. I helped a friend negotiate one about 6 months ago. It was a 4.6L w/tech package. It drove very nice and we were able to get it for about 30% off MSRP. It was a dealer loaner with 8.000 miles and was sold with new car warranty.

He likes the warranty as he has used it frequently since purchase.

Last edited by FLYCT; 09-21-12 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-21-12, 06:53 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FLYCT

He likes the warranty as he has used it frequently since purchase.
Haha wonder what warranty things come up at the 5-10 year mark
Old 09-22-12, 04:12 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lbintab
Depends on the options. A 40K Genesis matches on paper, the LS size, with 429 hp and 0-60 in 4.8 it out performs, eight speed tranny it gets better mpg, and can be optioned with all the same tech. According to JD power it is the number one in reliability, over the GS and E Class. The only thing on paper that really separates them is price, running about half. So they appear to be a fair comparison. As the owner of both, there is a lot that you can't see on paper. The materials in the Genesis are not as good as the LS, and that is where the Equus picks up that gap.

The only real loss I can find in going with a Genesis over an LS is the quality of the interior. Ten years from now who knows how these will hold up next to an LS. Hyundai gives you an assurance packet to guarantee trade in value, another interesting tactic to remove the concerns of buyers. So again either car is fair for comparison to an LS, one a bit below, the other a bit above. I still think anyone who buys the Hyundai over the LS is coming down to value. If someone were giving them away, I don't think there would be an LS passed over.

There are a lot of cars that on paper seem to comparable to an LS. The Tarus SHO, Buick Lacrosse, the retired G8, the STS and countless others check all the boxes for being performance Luxury cars matching size, outperforming, and matching tech. While none of them are going to picked over the LS for being better, the Genesis is close enough, for so much less, they may have hit the sweet spot to steal customers.

Last edited by KaiserSea1; 09-22-12 at 04:26 AM.
Old 09-22-12, 05:21 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Great point KaiserSea1. At the end of the day it comes down to your preference, I'm a loyal Lexus owner and to me Lexus would be my first choice. But there are brands that are stepping up their game and its because Lexus set the standard. Remember in the 90's a lot of cars looked like a Lexus but they wasn't as dependable as a Lexus. Now a lot of car markers are doing whatever to keep customer loyalty, and if Hyundai is doing that and it sound like they are I give them 2 and say someone else finally got it right.
Old 09-23-12, 07:39 AM
LexFather

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
Depends on the options. A 40K Genesis matches on paper, the LS size, with 429 hp and 0-60 in 4.8 it out performs, eight speed tranny it gets better mpg, and can be optioned with all the same tech. According to JD power it is the number one in reliability, over the GS and E Class. The only thing on paper that really separates them is price, running about half. So they appear to be a fair comparison. As the owner of both, there is a lot that you can't see on paper. The materials in the Genesis are not as good as the LS, and that is where the Equus picks up that gap.

The only real loss I can find in going with a Genesis over an LS is the quality of the interior. Ten years from now who knows how these will hold up next to an LS. Hyundai gives you an assurance packet to guarantee trade in value, another interesting tactic to remove the concerns of buyers. So again either car is fair for comparison to an LS, one a bit below, the other a bit above. I still think anyone who buys the Hyundai over the LS is coming down to value. If someone were giving them away, I don't think there would be an LS passed over.

There are a lot of cars that on paper seem to comparable to an LS. The Tarus SHO, Buick Lacrosse, the retired G8, the STS and countless others check all the boxes for being performance Luxury cars matching size, outperforming, and matching tech. While none of them are going to picked over the LS for being better, the Genesis is close enough, for so much less, they may have hit the sweet spot to steal customers.
First off your signature is trolling. Second the Genesis never came close to its sales goal, never won comparisons and while a solid effort is basically bought as its cheaper. Contrarily the LS which was directly knocked off by the Equus is not geneiss competition. So how can a car steal customers and not come close to its sales goal? Sure, its gotten a couple customers from Lexus, Benz, etc but thats it. No mass exodus.

People are fooling themselves only trying to say its better than a Lexus. It's not, period. It's a solid car in its own right. The Genesis nor Equus became the new world standard like the original LS let alone the 460 which debuted I believe 12 world firsts and the refresh another handful or so.

It debuted absolutely no innovation, no world first like the LS and a Lexus does. It's not considered a benchmark like a Lexus is.

Enjoy your Hyundai Genesis but its got a long way to go to be considered one of the worlds best. What should be said is "Lexus paved the way for these new sedans like the Genesis and Equus and Lexus success showed Hyundai it can be done" instead of crapping or disrespecting the Lexus LS.

Last edited by LexFather; 09-23-12 at 07:57 AM.