LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Recently purchased 01 LS430 - sluggish and pinging fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-17, 07:13 AM
lexusdog
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Recently purchased 01 LS430 - sluggish and pinging fixed!

I recently picked up a 01 LS430 from an older gentleman who clearly never floored the car and probably ran 87 octane fuel in the car for a long time. I bought the car very cheap so I didn't mind that I had to work on it a bit and I previously worked as a mechanic in the past. The car had an issue with pinging and slow acceleration every time I tried to floor it, which was the complete opposite of the 04 I had just sold.

This is what I did to resolve about 99% of it.
Filled it up with 93 octane fuel and put in a bottle of Techron concentrated fuel injector cleaner.
Reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for 5 mins.
Removed the MAF sensor and cleaned it with CRC MAF cleaner.
Removed the intake snorkel and cleaned all of the carbon off of the butterfly and inside the throttle body, as well as inside the idle plate on the top.
Replaced PCV valve.
After this it started to run much better.
Next step and I would do this at your own risk. I ran a bottle of seafoam though one of the intake hoses on top of the throttle body while the car was running. This helped to remove a lot of the carbon that accumulated over time. The car will smoke a lot when you do this, and you want to keep it running and occasionally give it some light revs to clear out all of the carbon. Again, not sure I would recommend this step if you have never done it before. Do at your own risk and watch some youtube videos on how to perform this step.
I then changed the spark plugs and realized the valve cover gaskets were leaking so I replaced them.

After all of these steps, the car runs excellent. I still get an occasional ping at high RPM's but very rarely now. My thought is that the 93 octane and injector cleaner is still working it self through the fuel system. I hope this helps someone who might be having an issue with pinging or sluggish acceleration.
Old 02-12-17, 09:49 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Must be interesting going back to an 01 after driving an 04. The shiftable 6 speed is a nice upgrade. Are you going to take the money you made and keep shopping for a 460?
Old 02-12-17, 11:33 AM
lexusdog
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Must be interesting going back to an 01 after driving an 04. The shiftable 6 speed is a nice upgrade. Are you going to take the money you made and keep shopping for a 460?
I will probably continue to shop for an LS460. Although, it is nice not having a payment on the 01. If I pick up a 460 soon, I might decide to sell the 01. Not sure what it is worth, but should be able to make a decent profit on it.
Old 02-13-17, 10:40 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusdog
I will probably continue to shop for an LS460. Although, it is nice not having a payment on the 01. If I pick up a 460 soon, I might decide to sell the 01. Not sure what it is worth, but should be able to make a decent profit on it.
As cheap as these cars can be to insure, you could keep it just as a spare!
Old 02-20-17, 02:28 PM
jrmesaros
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what seafoam is, but when I was in high school way back in 74 and 75. I had a job washing the new and used cars at the local Chevrolet dealer in town after school. Every now and then a customer would bring in their new car with a very loud knock, as though the piston was loose and ready to come thru the top of the engine. The mechanics would remove the air filter and slowly pour a bottle of transmission fluid into the carburetor while they revved the engine. They said the fuel was causing carbon buildup in the combustion chamber and causing the knock, and the transmission fluid was high in detergents and would burn the carbon off, it always worked. And when ever my first, car a 64 Buick Lesabre, started running poorly I did the same and it always helped. Back then unleaded fuel was just being mandated and leaded fuel was quickly being phased out. Gasoline has come a long way from those days. So, I can see how introducing something directly into the combustion chamber would remove the carbon build up, but I would definitely want someone with more mechanical back ground then I to do it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2001 LS 430 Millennium Silver/Light Gray
2015 Honda CRV
2015 Honda Accord
1999 Ford F-150 (Rough and Ready)
1972 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible, Light Yellow/Black, 350ci/350hp,Stick
Old 02-20-17, 04:07 PM
2KHarrier

Originally Posted by jrmesaros
So, I can see how introducing something directly into the combustion chamber would remove the carbon build up, but I would definitely want someone with more mechanical back ground then I to do it.
Welcome aboard JR. Seafoam is a pretty good product. It can be used as a fuel additive, oil additive, fuel system cleaner among other things. It does assist in cleaning valves, and works to clean out the intake when added to a vacuum port on the manifold. It has to be added very slowly, however.
Old 02-20-17, 04:11 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I'm against it.....an indie used it on my Maxima rather than cleaning out the EGR tube the right way. The car smoked for 2 days, the warning came back. I reset the code for about 3 mos., Fall came, and it stayed away for 1 1/2 yrs., and finally came back to stay. I hope the LS doesn't have EGR issues. It's an expensive fix but the system is like an appendix. But you need it for emissions testing.
Old 02-20-17, 04:26 PM
2KHarrier

John, Seafoam has been used for years to clean the valves and intake. Not really talking about the EGR here, but using Seafoam to clean the intake and valves. Loads of info both here and on other sites that discusses the positives (and negatives) of using it.
When used, the car will smoke ALOT. That's normal. I've never heard of using it to clean out the EGR, however..