LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

best after market BT radios for non-NAV 2001 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-17, 08:34 PM
leemit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best after market BT radios for non-NAV 2001 LS430

Hi all, I am new member and new owner as of today; I purchased a 2001 LS 430 for the wife. In general she loves it, but with just a few hours into the new ride, she is disappointed to find the 6 cd changer gives "CD error 1" We did test the cd changer before driving, but not for long enough apparently (Should have done 20 minutes to find the problem). I understand from reading on the forum that I can send the cd changer out for repair, but I think she would be happier in the long run if I replace the radio & cd changer with a stereo having Bluetooth hands free calling.

VAIS units are highly recommended on the forum, but do not seem to have handsfree calling when checking their website.

I cannot post URLs as a new member, but I see a couple of 2-DI N units with handsfree BT (both on amazon, my apologies for the large fonts)

Pioneer FH-X731BT 2-Din CD Receiver with Enhanced Audio Functions

Kenwood DPX500BT Double DIN In-Dash Car Stereo Receiver

4 questions:
Does anybody have a unit recommended by personal experience in their LS430 (non navigation) ? [pictures would be great]
Are there any guides to installing such an aftermarket unit in a LS430 ? (I don't care about losing the steering wheel audio control functions.)
Are there any "gotchas". It seems I need a special wiring harness, not sure where to get that.
Is there anything else you would recommend to me that I am to ignorant to ask about?

Many thanks.

Lee
Old 02-17-17, 05:11 AM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

While I don't have the answer to your questions, I do have a couple of suggestions. Replacing the radio with a double DIN unit can be done fairly easily and there is alot of information about it on this forum. Look at the Beatsonic kits which allow you to install the unit and use the existing wiring and speakers. You should spend alot of time finding exactly what you want. There are alot of moving parts to this project.

So here's my suggestion. Buy a cassette adapter for around $20. This allows you to plug in a phone, Ipod or other source and listen through the existing system. It will give you time to figure out what you like or don't like. Will you replace just the head unit or all the speakers? In addition, play with the steering wheel controls. Many love them and you can retain them if you like. In other words, take your time. The cassette adapter is not perfect but useful for a few months while you figure out what you really want.
The following users liked this post:
leemit (02-17-17)
Old 02-17-17, 03:50 PM
leemit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good advice sgretchko; thank you very much for your thoughtful reply. I will go that route.
Old 02-21-17, 01:02 PM
ls3some
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

To add to the above cassette adapter comment. Buy a name brand unit for best sound quality. As far as blue tooth model I highly recommend the kinivo btc450. It is cheap and easy to install in addition to having excellent call quality and being small. I have it in 3 vehicles and it can pick up my kids voice from the back seat. Mounted on the cd player door. Check out Amazon reviews. You will need a female adapter to mate cassette and blue tooth audio wires.
I did not want to tear up the dash, figured it is easy to to do that at a later date if I don't like the cheap adapter and bt kit
Luke

Last edited by ls3some; 02-21-17 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-21-17, 01:43 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

try disconnecting battery for a few minutes and when you re connect it might dislodge cd that is jammed.