LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Thinking About Buying an 02 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-17, 09:46 AM
Blue103
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking About Buying an 02 LS430

Hi everyone, I joined this forum years ago when I bought a GS400 for my now ex girlfriend. Anyway, I wasn't looking but came across someone selling their LS430 two days ago in my neighborhood. I just got back from looking at it and taking it on a 30-40 minute test drive. It ran good, although sometimes when I turned I felt a slight jerk sometimes. I can only remember it doing it when I turned right. It's a 2002 with 67K on it. It's white. The inside is very clean, although the driver seat has significant wear toward the front of the seat part that goes under your knee/bottom thigh. The steering wheel is crackled where the wood is. The engine light is also on with a P0141 code.

As for repairs, in the last 5K miles he's had new brakes, tires, AC system (evap, condenser, etc.), new battery (probably from sitting), and new front shocks/struts. Called a local shop about getting the timing belt done and they said $750 for everything including the water pump and other things. They're asking $8,500 for it.

What do you guys think about that? I'm curious about the AC system and why that needed to be replaced so early as well as the shocks. But we're in Puerto Rico and the roads are rough, so that might explain that. It's warm all year round here but I still feel like that's young for an AC. I'm also concerned about the engine light which is probably a sensor as the car drives great. And I'm concerned about the jerk in the steering or is that normal? It's very slight. I was going to try and get it for 7K. The man offered to fix the timing belt and fix whatever the engine light was. I'm thinking I'll just do all that and get it for 7K

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Blue103; 02-10-17 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-10-17, 10:56 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Welcome Blue!

67,000 and it has wear on the seat, MIL lamp is illuminated, a slight jerk while driving, A/C system has been repaired AND new struts? Seems like a whole lotta premature failure on the car, for such low mileage.
Something isn't right with this car. Perhaps flood damage or something? I suppose the heat would have a negative effect in PR as well...
Old 02-10-17, 11:11 AM
Blue103
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Harrier for the welcome and reply! I was thinking the same thing. The guy seems pretty up front and told me I can just drive it around as much as I want. The steering wheel, seat can be explained by the sun and heat here. The struts and slight jerk could be explained by the awful roads here. However, the AC and Engine light throw me for a bit of a loop which makes me further question the other two things. I used to be an auto broker and know of dealers who know how to "stop the clock" so to speak to keep miles low. They just drive them and when it's time to sell it they resume the odometer. I'm wondering if it's one of those things.

He just called me back after taking it to a shop to find out what the code was and it's P0141. Which explains why the average gas mileage said 16.4. So it needs a new front 02 sensor I'm assuming. Not sure how hard they are to get to but they're cheap enough for a lexus. I was thinking about flood damage as well because that could definitely be an issue here. I smelled the floor mats and underneath the mats and didn't catch any sign of mildew or mold. Maybe an accident? If it was they did a heck of a job putting it back together. The screws to the frame are still in their original spot unless they repainted all of that, which is possible as well.

For the right price I'll still consider it. But I definitely don't want to be stuck with a money trap.
Old 02-10-17, 11:27 AM
2KHarrier

All things considered, the LS is basically a very good car. I've seen a few that have been brought back from the grave and are faithful DD's to this day.
If you do a search on here, you'll find a number of threads discussing the issues you're finding and potential causes/repairs.

With the mileage being so low, it's possible some of the issues on the car are from non-use. Letting a car sit for extended periods of time can have the same effect as neglecting a car that is driven every day. For the mileage, the asking price isn't bad. Just make sure and find as much history as you can on it. Put the VIN on the Lexus Owner's site and see what (if any) maintenance was recorded by the dealership.

It'll no doubt need a timing belt service due to the age of the components.

Last edited by 2KHarrier; 02-10-17 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-10-17, 12:01 PM
Blue103
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I have an 06 Dodge magnum that I bought back in 08 salvaged with 17K on it. Today it has 155K and has been my most reliable car ever. I used the VIN decoder and it didn't tell me much of anything. Other than the basics of the car. I'm going to bite the bullet and get a Carfax.... I hate getting those, they usually tell me nothing. I'm sure whatever happened with the car wasn't recorded if it was something at all. But with 67K on it, that means it was driven less than 5K per year. That would explain some things, but I hope I don't have any issues later on down the line. Might be wise to drain the transmission fluid too. Think I may offer the guy 7K or try my hand with $6,500 since he offered to fix the issues which as is will cost around 1K to fix. Gotta leave room for anything else that might spring up.

Thanks for the insight and help!
Old 02-10-17, 12:11 PM
Blue103
Driver School Candidate

Just ran a Carfax, it had service done in September and was noted it needed an alignment. Maybe they messed it up, and that's why it jerks a bit. LOL, could be me jumping into a new car as well, or again.. the roads. It wasn't severe. It was also in an accident but that was back in 2005, so I'm not worried about that. Doesn't look like it was serious. It also was 1 owner, an old man so I know it wasn't driven hard (or at all for that matter). Think I'm going to pull the trigger on it.
Old 02-10-17, 12:12 PM
Blue103
Driver School Candidate

Oh yeah, I'm sure it is, but is there any way to get an aftermarket radio in there? I need Bluetooth. I don't care for anything else but Pandora must be played!
Old 02-10-17, 02:53 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue103
Oh yeah, I'm sure it is, but is there any way to get an aftermarket radio in there? I need Bluetooth. I don't care for anything else but Pandora must be played!
. My main concern at this point would be the accident. Try to locate the area and examine it carefully. Make sure there is no structural damage. Good luck.
Old 02-10-17, 03:09 PM
Blue103
Driver School Candidate

It wasn't a major accident. Usually a carfax would say so. It just said damage was reported so likely a parking lot incident. Regardless of that, it happened 11 years ago. Now it is possible that he drove it a lot at first and after the accident he just stopped because of issues he was having. But I'm doubting it. No creaks, no rumbles, no shakes, other than that jerk which could either be me getting used to the car or some type of front end suspension part not adjusted properly (because there are no clunks or pops of any kind) the car shows no sign of ever being in an accident. But I'm going to inspect the paint. I can usually tell when something has been repainted in a particular area. Needs headlight treatment too. They're turning yellow a bit.
Old 02-10-17, 03:11 PM
2KHarrier

I need Bluetooth. I don't care for anything else but Pandora must be played!
VAIS unit is the way to go. Plug and play. Even works with the steering wheel controls.
Do a search and you'll find a number of threads on the subject.

Hope this car works out for you. Would like to see pics, if you buy it.
Old 02-10-17, 03:35 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

As mentioned earlier.......even the cars that are brought back from the dead can be proven reliable. For the price you may be paying you have a an advantage, but be assured that although these cars are reliable and don't usually leave you stranded they are expensive to repair with most parts being prohibitive in cost. So if you can be a DIYer the labor can be helpful. Remember it's still a Toyota and a proven car. I love my car but I'm aware of what I need to spend to keep it going and staying in good condition. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 02-12-17, 04:55 AM
Blue103
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the responses. I got him down to $7,500, but haven't called him back. As far as the radio goes, I think I'm going to try one of those cigarette lighter FM plug-in things for $20 first. I prefer the stock look in the car and am going to try and salvage that before I dump $1K into sound. Paying 1K will sound better but if it's decent enough, you can't go wrong with $20.
Old 02-12-17, 05:43 AM
2KHarrier

Thanks everyone for the responses. I got him down to $7,500, but haven't called him back. As far as the radio goes, I think I'm going to try one of those cigarette lighter FM plug-in things for $20 first. I prefer the stock look in the car and am going to try and salvage that before I dump $1K into sound. Paying 1K will sound better but if it's decent enough, you can't go wrong with $20.
Well, I hope it works out for you. You can also use an old school cassette adapter to play music through the stereo.
Old 02-12-17, 09:48 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Well, I hope it works out for you. You can also use an old school cassette adapter to play music through the stereo.
I got the cassette adapter years ago from Walmart for around 5 or 10 bucks and it works great with my ipod shuffle.
Old 02-12-17, 10:19 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm not impressed w/ CarFax. I looked at a car here in Sacramento. Other than telling me the number of owners and no accident, CF had very little information. Checked on line. Fully dealer serviced. Checked w/ my service advisor at local Lex dealer. He said they don't report work ("confidentiality").

When I sold my 01, pulled a CF for possible buyers. No mention of the accident I know it had. Nothing on previous owner's service work (I have receipts for all of that). No mention of my indy's work.

Your possible purchase is interesting but seems like a lot of problems for such low mileage. I don't know about PR, but here in CA, same price gets you something very nice.

Quick Reply: Thinking About Buying an 02 LS430