LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Thinking About Buying an 02 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-17, 03:49 AM
Blue103
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw this message. I haven't bought the car yet and we agreed on $7,500. I'm waiting to transfer funds to my new bank here in PR. In my wait though I saw another, 2004 LS that is just confusing to me now. It has no Nav, but it says Mark Levinson? It also appears to be from the pics a UL. How is that possible? Says it has 73K on it, has shades on the side windows in the rear, it also has 3 buttons by the door handle in the back seat that I don't see on all the cars. I'm completely confused by this one. From my research here, it should be a base model due to not having Nav. But it's possible it was built specifically for PR is what I'm thinking.

In regard to your comment about finding a better one there in CA. My wife wants her own personal car and I was looking for an older GS for her. Saw one there with all the recorded service for $3500. But to get it shipped, pay the import tax... even if I got it for $3K I'd be spending 7K after all is said and done.

PR cars cost considerably more than cars in the states due to the Jones act. Where everything gets shipped to Florida first, then PR, even if the boat passes the island first. The US passes that extra shipping fee on to PR. So for PR $7,500 isn't too bad. Wish I could post pics of the other one. I'm going to see it in a couple of hours.
Old 02-15-17, 05:08 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue103
I'm waiting to transfer funds to my new bank here in PR.
True tales of money transfer. On my BMW, I put 50% down, so I went to the bank that morning to get cashier's checks. Um, yep, that's plural, checks. I guess I was going through this phase (I was still single and dating my wife), where I was watching a lot of Law and Order and Without a Trace. So I ask the teller to give me 3 cashier's checks, two in the amount of $9,999.99, the last for about $3,700. BIG MISTAKE.

The transaction must have taken about 40 min. of me standing in front of the counter, and I was afraid we'd be late picking up the new car. An apologetic and very nervous asst. mgr. kept coming up to the counter, sir, I apologize, this will just take another 5 or 10 min. We're very sorry about the wait. Um, can you say, let's all go in the back room and make sure we fill out the SAR correctly? My wife being in financial said you know something, only I can understand your behavior. WTH did you think you were doing?

Anyway, her car in 2011, that dealership oddly, when I said ok let me run to the bank (this car was only 35% down, slipping)....finance mgr. says, why? I say, so I can go and get you a cashier's check. He said don't you have a personal check? I say huh? Just curious, why would you accept a personal check? He goes, it's our experience, that we have no problem with them. And if we did, believe me, we'd still get our funds. OK?

The LS. I paid cash for it, but my money is in an internet bank. Kind of a huge mistake also, float city USA. Go online wanting to move 14 grand into my local bank, can't process a transaction of that size. Of what size, that's ridiculous. So I go to my local bank and ask them what to do. They tell me write a check to yourself and deposit it with us. The funds will be available tomorrow morning. THIS I DID NOT KNOW--I would have thought maybe 3-5 business days?? I got my cashier's check the next day, and we picked up the LS on that weekend...

edit: Johnny can't do math. I stated I put 50% down--my car was 46 and change after taxes, not 60!!

Last edited by Johnhav430; 02-15-17 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-15-17, 08:38 AM
Blue103
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, wow! I was able to link my accounts today finally. So I can transfer the money. Mine is coming from a brokerage account so the amounts should be fine FROM the brokerage account. To my internet PR banking account... fingers crossed LOL. But 7500 isn't much. Gotta sell some stock that I'm down on though. bummed about that. Considering waiting a few more days but don't want to miss out or keep them waiting. Now I feel like I'm paying the cost of the car plus my losses in stock! :-(
Old 02-15-17, 08:48 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue103
LOL, wow! I was able to link my accounts today finally. So I can transfer the money. Mine is coming from a brokerage account so the amounts should be fine FROM the brokerage account. To my internet PR banking account... fingers crossed LOL. But 7500 isn't much. Gotta sell some stock that I'm down on though. bummed about that. Considering waiting a few more days but don't want to miss out or keep them waiting. Now I feel like I'm paying the cost of the car plus my losses in stock! :-(
good luck...I couldn't transfer 14k out of ALLY.....

haha I jacked up our credit card bill getting stuff done on the Lexus, then paying the annual homeowner's policy, hot water heater, and I know the 6 mo. car insurance is going to be withdrawn, and I pay this in full every month and collect the 2% (Citi Double). The balance got so high, I cashed in a Janus mutual fund that has a -6% annual return since we opened it in 2009 (it bounced quite a bit in the last 12 mos though). This will cover the majority of the Feb. statement due March 10. It has only 1 star from Morningstar.

How does that fund manager even live with himself? Prolly drives an A8L too!