LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

AFS Light Flashing: Bad shocks to blame?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-16, 11:39 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default AFS Light Flashing: Bad shocks to blame?

Been waiting for suspension parts to arrive. Took the car out today and out of nowhere the afs off light starts blinking. Would the rear shocks needing replaced cause this since the sensor is located back There? I haven't touched anything. Sensor looks intact.
Old 11-13-16, 12:25 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Default probably worn out headlight leveling sensor

Originally Posted by bmore430
Been waiting for suspension parts to arrive. Took the car out today and out of nowhere the afs off light starts blinking. Would the rear shocks needing replaced cause this since the sensor is located back There? I haven't touched anything. Sensor looks intact.
Not likely. Most likely 1 worn out (out of 2) auto-leveling sensors on the driver's side of the vehicle. There's 1 at the front driver's side wheel/suspension, and 1 at the rear driver's wheel/side suspension. They don't last forever due to the rheostat/circuit always moving as the the suspension moves.

There are many AFS flashing threads on here and how to repair. Here's one of them... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...afs-light.html
Old 11-13-16, 01:31 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Not likely. Most likely 1 worn out (out of 2) auto-leveling sensors on the driver's side of the vehicle. There's 1 at the front driver's side wheel/suspension, and 1 at the rear driver's wheel/side suspension. They don't last forever due to the rheostat/circuit always moving as the the suspension moves.

There are many AFS flashing threads on here and how to repair. Here's one of them... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...afs-light.html
took apart the rear sensor. inside was corroded and one of the springs was rusted where it basically fell apart when I touched it.
Old 11-13-16, 01:34 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

took apart the rear sensor. inside was corroded and one of the springs was rusted where it basically fell apart when I touched it.
AWESOME! Well, not awesome, but at least you know the reason for the flashing AFS light! There's some geniuses on this board who have even REPAIRED the internals of the sensor...but if your's fell apart, might as well just buy one. Many many Lexus websites out there!

In the meantime, your headlights will probably default to a very 'low' aiming/position.

Good luck!
Old 11-13-16, 01:59 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Hopefully someone can chime in if there is a special reset or reinitialization when I go to install the new sensor.

Need RKW help on this one!
Old 11-13-16, 02:35 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Hopefully someone can chime in if there is a special reset or reinitialization when I go to install the new sensor.

Need RKW help on this one!
No special reset or initialization. The flashing AFS will stop flashing once the problem is corrected/eliminated.
Old 11-13-16, 03:19 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

OK that makes me feel better. Ordering the part tonight and will report back. This car is after my wallet as shes approaching 100k miles lol.
Old 11-13-16, 05:57 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Unhappy

Ordered from Lexus South Atlanta. Almost a 370.00 sensor after shipping. Found some places cheaper but didnt want to take any chances with any other suppliers.
Old 11-13-16, 07:10 PM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Cancel that order right away!!!

And order this Dorman sensor from Amazon - http://a.co/54KtXu0

Order of magnitude cheaper and works the same as OEM....
Old 11-13-16, 07:57 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

I saw those but many people said they only lasted a few months and burned out prematurely. I may buy one of those and put it on my stock linkage as a spare for down the road. the lexus oem lasted 12 years and 95k miles so I won't mind spending the money to not ever deal with it again.
Old 11-13-16, 08:53 PM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Thing is, the sensor was killed by water ingress. Any sensor you buy, I'd re-seal the two parts of the case with a RTV bead to ensure water ingress protection.
Old 11-13-16, 09:04 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by takimanpgt
Thing is, the sensor was killed by water ingress. Any sensor you buy, I'd re-seal the two parts of the case with a RTV bead to ensure water ingress protection.
with the new sensor i am going to apply white lithium grease to all pivot points on the linkage and then around the sensor housing. ive even thought about wrapping a balloon over the sensor for an extra seal. i have the whole sensor removed in the meantime and zip tied a ziploc bag around the connector to keep any dirt and moisture out.
Old 11-21-16, 01:48 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

with the new sensor i am going to apply white lithium grease to all pivot points on the linkage and then around the sensor housing. ive even thought about wrapping a balloon over the sensor for an extra seal. i have the whole sensor removed in the meantime and zip tied a ziploc bag around the connector to keep any dirt and moisture out.
I installed new factory lexus oem sensor that comes complete with linkage. I was able to do this with the car on the ground so the suspension was loaded. The rear arm has a mark in center where the sensor sits from factory. Old sensor was corroded inside and the linkage was worn and did not move freely like the new one. All you need is a 10mm wrench and socket. Takes 15 minutes from start to finish. Was a hard hit for 370.00 after shipping but I'm glad it's done and the light is out on the dash.
Old 11-21-16, 05:46 PM
nc356
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can't be sure about where/how moisture gets into the sensor, but:
the two I've fixed seemed to have moisture entering through the electrical connector leads; they are molded into the housing, but apparently that isn't moisture proof.
The poor conductivity has been between the springs (corroded, both times only 1 of the 3) and the brass contact down in the spring hole which is actually the end of the male lug that passes out through the housing.
Solution has been to clean up the springs and the contact down in the hole, stretch the springs a little for insurance, and finally confirm connection with an ohmmeter before putting the cover back on.
Then, for what it's worth, I pack the electrical socket with dielectric grease before plugging the harness back in.
This is a place Lexus should have used those moisture resistant plugs we see elsewhere around the car.
(The o-ring that seals the cover is surely not the issue; it's identical to what I work with for a living, and I feel sure no moisture is getting past that o-ring.)

It feels great to avoid a $300+ part replacement for 20 minutes of work in the drive
I haven't seen evidence of moisture getting in through the rotating arm passage either.
Old 11-21-16, 06:03 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nc356
Can't be sure about where/how moisture gets into the sensor, but:
the two I've fixed seemed to have moisture entering through the electrical connector leads; they are molded into the housing, but apparently that isn't moisture proof.
The poor conductivity has been between the springs (corroded, both times only 1 of the 3) and the brass contact down in the spring hole which is actually the end of the male lug that passes out through the housing.
Solution has been to clean up the springs and the contact down in the hole, stretch the springs a little for insurance, and finally confirm connection with an ohmmeter before putting the cover back on.
Then, for what it's worth, I pack the electrical socket with dielectric grease before plugging the harness back in.
This is a place Lexus should have used those moisture resistant plugs we see elsewhere around the car.
(The o-ring that seals the cover is surely not the issue; it's identical to what I work with for a living, and I feel sure no moisture is getting past that o-ring.)

It feels great to avoid a $300+ part replacement for 20 minutes of work in the drive
I haven't seen evidence of moisture getting in through the rotating arm passage either.
I tried taking apart the sensor but one of the springs was basically a pile of rust and the 2 others were rusty and one of the film contacts was broken off inside plus the linkage was tight on top of all that. I was too late to get lucky enough to throw a new spring in and be done. I can blame that on Maryland winters .