LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2003 LS430 Multi Display panel buttons not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-16, 12:56 PM
svemuri
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 LS430 Multi Display panel buttons not working

A few days ago, I started my LS430 in the morning and the panel buttons next to the display on each side (navigation) didn't light up and did not respond. This includes the climate button. The screen does come on and it displays the audio stations When I change them, but other than that, the screen is blank. The actual A/C works and can be controlled by the buttons on drivers and passenger side, but I can't see what is going on since nothing appears on the screen. Radio works fine.

I pulled the radio and nav out and re-seated all the cables but no go. I paid for two day access to Toyota service manuals and it appears that there are two possible things. It says to check the continuity between Gateway ECU and Radio and if there is an issue then to replace the harness. Otherwise it says replace the whole nav unit.

I'd be grateful if any one can give some more details on how to check the connection between gateway ecu and radio. I think the gateway ecu is behind the mirror switch. I am not sure how to get access to it. Do I have to remove the whole cluster?

Any other ideas on how to troubleshoot are also much appreciated. I may have to get a new nav mdu from ebay, but I want to make sure that it is the problem. I actually did get one from e-bay for $40 bucks that is "untested" and it behaved same as my current one. Since it is untested, I don't want to assume that it is not bad.

Thanks
SV
Old 09-30-16, 03:21 PM
svemuri
Driver School Candidate

So, it looks like experts here are stumped :-)

Does any one have a a shop recommendation that can take a look at this in the northern burbs of Atlanta (Alpharetta area)? I know that electrical problems are not easy to diagnose properly, so I need a knowledgeable shop with proper equipment. I could go to the dealer, but I have a feeling that they would ask me to just change the nav unit, which will be very expensive.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
SV.
Old 09-30-16, 04:27 PM
Mobius1
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Im by no means an expert, but just throwing this out there for even the smallest possibility that it may help. Also i dont know what exactly it looks like but If the connector itself has bunches of wires i might try to individually jiggle and push them into the connector more to be sure that contact is being made inside the plastic connector housing and the bare wires. It also might be possible that there is a broken connection along the length the cable and maybe kneading the wires might make it contact again? Again im not sure, just throwing out some ideas at this point. I wish you luck.
Old 09-30-16, 04:40 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Try Hi-Tech Electronic Services, www.hitechserve.com , 818-785-8085. They fix these displays and may have an idea about your problem. Alos, look around the internet. There are a few of these shops that repair these displays.
Old 02-15-19, 11:55 AM
Jayanth
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by svemuri
So, it looks like experts here are stumped :-)

Does any one have a a shop recommendation that can take a look at this in the northern burbs of Atlanta (Alpharetta area)? I know that electrical problems are not easy to diagnose properly, so I need a knowledgeable shop with proper equipment. I could go to the dealer, but I have a feeling that they would ask me to just change the nav unit, which will be very expensive.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
SV.
So, did you get this issue resolved? Am in Atlanta area too and would appreciate if you have found anyone local shop who can fix this issue.

Yep, I have been to a dealer and they recommended a swap with a new unit costing around 2.5k.
Old 02-15-19, 12:28 PM
svemuri
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jayanth

So, did you get this issue resolved? Am in Atlanta area too and would appreciate if you have found anyone local shop who can fix this issue.

Yep, I have been to a dealer and they recommended a swap with a new unit costing around 2.5k.
Resolution was to replace the head unit. I did it myself with a unit procured via ebay for around $400.