LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Need help- Problems with door lock motor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-16, 11:23 AM
Riemy6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help- Problems with door lock motor replacement

I have a 2005 ultra luxury LS430. A few weeks ago I noticed the passenger front door lock would not lock when using the lock switch. I would have to manually lock the door. I could see the lock of the door twitching when locking the other doors. I assumed this was the motor in the door lock actuator going out. I ordered a new motor with the D shaft off Amazon and replaced the motor in the door with the new one. After reassembling the door I found that the door (the one with the replaced motor) will not lock electronically or manually now. When manually moving the switch from inside the vehicle, the switch feels like it does not want to be pulled backwards to the unlocked position and it will go forward to where it should lock but it does not lock. The door's easy close feature still works. I need suggestions on what could be wrong and advice to fix the issue. Even if I have to go back to manually locking and unlocking the door it would be better than having a door that does not lock. Thank you.
Old 09-17-16, 08:24 PM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

HA! I know exactly what you did. I just replaced the motor in my ultra this morning and did the EXACT same thing. Ok so you need to take the actuator and attached assembly back out again. Separate the actuator from the metal frame by only taking apart the gold bolts, leave all the screws in except for the one that is on the reverse side attaching the big plastic piece to the actuator and the tiny screw that is also holding on that big plastic piece. Now, what you did was you didn't line up the little white trigger lock mechanism in the right hole. There are 2 holes there. I believe it should be inserted in the top hole for the lock to work. Regardless, after you line everything back up for that white trigger, what you should do is reassemble and then pull on the cable that has the white sheath to test the lock, if it won't pull out then try to push it in, if it doesn't move easily and stay in place when you move it then you have the white trigger in the wrong hole. Hope that makes sense.
Old 09-18-16, 10:18 AM
Riemy6
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the reply! The problem turned out to be that I didn't snap the cables back into where they go in at the inside door handle. The cables had come loose and pushing the cables further into their places got the door lock functioning manually and by the power switches.