LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Window Gasket/weatherstrip rplacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-16, 02:52 PM
Calicraig2
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Window Gasket/weatherstrip rplacement

Can mere mortals replace the main window weatherstrip that goes all around the door glass (the glass rides up and down on it in the front and rear window guide channels)? Does the glass have to come out before installing the new rubber?? It looks like it just fits in there but there may be secret tricks that only you guys know...

My drivers side window was squeaking going down and I found the rubber outside the front channel when I removed the speaker and looked behind it.... I previously lubed the window actuator tracks to try and stop the squeak but I could hear that it was coming from the front part of the door...

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
20160912132629133.pdf (183.7 KB, 233 views)
Old 09-13-16, 04:43 AM
legend921
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From my past history with removing the window glass channels on other cars is that it is not hard to replace just time consuming as you have to take the door apart and remove the glass and then be able to remove the channel as the rubber goes all the way down into the door. Another way that you could try is to use some Shin-Etsu grease from Honda to lube the window guide. This can easily be bought on Amazon and highly recommended as it is silicone based which would not dry out your window channel. Its about 18.00 for a tube of the grease. 80s and early 90s Honda vehicles were notorious for having slow windows, but running the grease up and down the channel with a Q-tip and letting the window grab the grease helped get these windows moving freely again. I use it on all my cars including my LS.
Old 09-13-16, 08:35 AM
Calicraig2
Rookie

Originally Posted by legend921
From my past history with removing the window glass channels on other cars is that it is not hard to replace just time consuming as you have to take the door apart and remove the glass and then be able to remove the channel as the rubber goes all the way down into the door. Another way that you could try is to use some Shin-Etsu grease from Honda to lube the window guide. This can easily be bought on Amazon and highly recommended as it is silicone based which would not dry out your window channel. Its about 18.00 for a tube of the grease. 80s and early 90s Honda vehicles were notorious for having slow windows, but running the grease up and down the channel with a Q-tip and letting the window grab the grease helped get these windows moving freely again. I use it on all my cars including my LS.
I'm going to try that stuff since the gasket is still basically intact.... Thanks for the recommend !!
Old 09-26-16, 09:39 AM
Calicraig2
Rookie

Default What about changing the power window motor??

I searched but didnt really find any threads on replacing the window motor,,, Strange...

I tried the Shin-Etsu grease and the window still squeaked... I pulled the window run weatherstrip and it still squeaked so it must be the window motor/mechanism itself... I am going to try removing it to see how if it can be lubed (it still goes up and down as quickly as the other side window),,, or replaced,,, Any tips??