Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How to replace the side window in a sc300?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-17, 07:28 AM
Thrustn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to replace the side window in a sc300?

Some idiot smashed my passenger side door window and I am looking for instructions on how to install a new window.

I searched no luck so far. I already have the door panel off and all glass vacuumed out. I cant figure out how to get the windows rollers on the two side window tracks. I even removed the tracks from the door and tried to put them on the window before placing it in the door and no luck.
Old 04-14-17, 08:39 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

This has some of the steps you need to follow:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...p-by-step.html

The two rails are held in by three or four (each) short, stumpy silver bolts. Use a big #2 phillips on them or they'll strip. Without the glass in there, you should be able to maneuver the rails out pretty easily. It can be a bear to get everything situated with the glass, which you'll have to deal with for reinstallation.
Old 04-14-17, 11:11 AM
Thrustn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information. You are right about those little rail bolts being easy to strip as I almost stripped one that was on tight when trying to remove it.

I got the rails out but not even sure if I was supposed to remove them to install the glass. Im not sure how to get the glass back on the rails and into the door, lol. It sounds like your saying that the rails do need to be removed and maneuvered on the glass rollers while the glass is in position. I assume the window motor would nee to be in the down position as well.

Does anything else need to be removed such as the regulator or any outside weather stripping?
Old 04-14-17, 01:31 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

It's much easier to maneuver the glass into the opening if you have the belt line weather strips out, but you also have to be more careful because it's easier to scratch the glass without them there to protect it. I've done it both ways.

As I recall, you'll want to leave the rails in the door but unbolted so they can be shifted around as you work the window's rollers into them while dropping it into the door. It's a rather maniacal jigsaw puzzle. I don't remember where I had the window regulator positioned, but I want to say roughly in the middle. Put the glass in by itself, with the bottom piece unbolted and in the regulator's lifter tray. That'll require a lot less work, and you can reach around pretty easily to thread the bolts (14mm box wrench, I believe) in from the back. That's one reason to not lower it all the way.
Old 04-14-17, 04:43 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

Good info, I have 2 of these to do in the next few days. Both regulators were bad in the white car, the guy painting it is scratching his head messing with them so I told him forget it and just paint the car I'll get them in.