My favorite Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-15, 07:58 AM
grunner58
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My favorite Oil Filter

2004 LS430:
It is the Mahle/Clevite OC 338 Oil Filter.
Very heavy with high quality internal components:

Old 12-12-15, 08:15 AM
grunner58
Driver

They cost me $8.50 ea through Amazon and I consider that a bargain for the quality received. Mahle vs Mann; which are both OEM to BMW: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-s5...l_filters.aspx
Old 12-12-15, 08:16 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

$3.56 at Rockauto.com so it might be worth trying.
Old 12-12-15, 09:45 AM
grunner58
Driver

Originally Posted by tradosauru
$3.56 at Rockauto.com so it might be worth trying.
That is crazy cheap but Rockauto can hit you with high S&H. $8.10 was delivered at Amazon.. Used rock for some front suspension components lately.
Old 12-12-15, 11:36 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How is it the "best", when it is just being advertised by the company that makes them?

I don't see any comparisons to all the other filters out there.
Old 12-12-15, 01:57 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I guess a YouTube commercial settles it

I'll stick with Toyota OEM, they don't cost much more than a generic one at WalMart
Old 12-12-15, 02:02 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

I now use the Fram XG3600 for my extended OCI's. It's one of the favorites on BTOG forum. My 04 took 6 quarts with the extended filter. About .7 more quarts vs stock. I also run Mobile 1 extended performance. The OEM filter is fine but not as good for an extended OCI. Wallyworld has them for $8.97 too.

Really is a great filter:

Amazon.com: FRAM XG3600 ULTRA Spin-On Oil Filter with Sure Grip: Automotive Amazon.com: FRAM XG3600 ULTRA Spin-On Oil Filter with Sure Grip: Automotive

Product Description
FRAM Ultra Synthetic Oil Filters are our best filter. The dual layered, synthetic and cellulose media is reinforced with a metal screen and traps 99% of dirt. The silicone anti-drainback valve is designed to hold oil to ensure safe start-up and engine protection for up to 15,000 miles.
Amazon.com
The FRAM Ultra Oil Filter is designed to keep your engine clean under the most extreme of conditions. The filter utilizes a cellulose/synthetic filter media blend, layered in two plies and separated by a metal screen. Along with its anti-drainback valve, which holds a reserve of oil in the filter to help protect the engine during startups, this feature allows the Ultra Oil Filter to reach a 97% dirt trapping efficiency rating and deliver up to 10,000 miles of engine protection. Additional features include easy installation and the non-slip Sure Grip outer shell, guaranteed to stay in-hand in even the most slippery of conditions.

FRAM Ultra oil filter box front
Two plies and reinforced metal screen deliver up to 10,000 miles of protection.
Compare the FRAM product line to the competition.
Ultimate Engine Protection
Advanced features built into the FRAM Ultra oil filter allow for ultimate engine protection, regardless of how tough the conditions. First, there is its filter media. Cellulose is the most commonly used filter material utilized in oil filters. The strength of this natural material is that it presents a random and irregular field of fibers to motor oil, trapping dirt, yet allowing oil to pass though. But as good a filtering agent as cellulose is, by itself, on average cellulose can only deliver about 80% dirt-trapping efficiency. Like many FRAM oil filters the Ultra oil filter improves on the strengths of cellulose by blending it with microscopic glass synthetic fibers. Together this composite filtering media creates small windows that are able to trap the smaller dirt particles missed by other oil filters, without affecting the flow of oil. The Ultra oil filter then sets itself even further apart from the competition by arranging these media in two plies built into the filter and reinforced with a metal screen. This allows it to trap and hold more than double the dirt of leading economy oil filter brands' average and achieve 97% dirt trapping efficiency.

In addition to filtering media designed to protect engines while they run, the FRAM Ultra oil filter also works to protect your engine when the your car is idle via its built-in silicone anti-drainback valve. Designed to hold a reserve of oil in the filter, this features helps protect the engine during startups by allowing the engine access clean, filtered oil at a time when its components may be lacking it, and need it most.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-12-15 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-12-15, 03:03 PM
grunner58
Driver

Originally Posted by KING
How is it the "best", when it is just being advertised by the company that makes them?

I don't see any comparisons to all the other filters out there.
Mahle is OEM to German auto makers and that is extremely important for this reason: in Germany, The Green Party is very powerful and they have forced the auto makers to extend oil intervals to 18,000+ miles. BMW. Mercedes etc all suggest 18,000 mile oil changes and that requires an extremely durable and high quality oil filter - Mahle.
Stick with Fram or whatever you like, but when you compare the spacing of the filter media, the thickness of the can, and the internal valves, you cannot, and will not, do better than Mahle. It has to last 18k miles plus!
Old 12-12-15, 03:07 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by grunner58
Mahle is OEM to German auto makers and that is extremely important for this reason: in Germany, The Green Party is very powerful and they have forced the auto makers to extend oil intervals to 18,000+ miles. BMW. Mercedes etc all suggest 18,000 mile oil changes and that requires an extremely durable and high quality oil filter - Mahle.
Stick with Fram or whatever you like, but when you compare the spacing of the filter media, the thickness of the can, and the internal valves, you cannot, and will not, do better than Mahle. It has to last 18k miles plus!
And KYB is OEM to many different cars, yet some of their gas struts are terrible. See how it being an OEM supplier does nothing to support how it's the best?
Old 12-12-15, 03:10 PM
grunner58
Driver

Here is the Fram Ultraguard XC 3600 opened:

If you cannot see the difference between it and the Mahle, well, what can I say.
Old 12-12-15, 03:11 PM
grunner58
Driver

Originally Posted by NickTee
And KYB is OEM to many different cars, yet some of their gas struts are terrible. See how it being an OEM supplier does nothing to support how it's the best?
Germans a fanatical eco friendly folks. Mahle has to live in that world of 18k+ oil change intervals. Think about that. You want to run a Fram for 18k? Be my guest.
Old 12-12-15, 03:15 PM
grunner58
Driver

Originally Posted by NickTee
Not sure which ones are terrible but the KYB OEM on my 2004 Ls430 are still good at 135k. Would like to swap for Bilstein's but N/A.
Old 12-12-15, 03:18 PM
grunner58
Driver

Originally Posted by Coulter
I guess a YouTube commercial settles it

I'll stick with Toyota OEM, they don't cost much more than a generic one at WalMart
Nope! Having to meet German Gov't requirement of 18,000 mile oil changes does it. Japan has no such eco fanaticism like Germany
Old 12-12-15, 03:25 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow this is great! Thank goodness we have a youtube commercial to tell us what's best for our cars. Finally I'm free of this terrible burden to weigh evidence and come up with evidence based beliefs.

But seriously - you really shouldn't come here conflating advertisements with facts. Go pay for ads like everyone else or sponsor the board if you want to shove it down our throats.

I'm sure that the Mahle filter is good, but I know that Fram is well-respected and these engines don't really need to be fussed over to live a long time - there are plenty of people who get long lifes out of Lexus V8s on dinosaur oil and O.E.M or even bargain basement filters.

And to suggest that we can take a look at the disassembled filters and decide which one is better is ludicrous. How about telling us the pressure thresholds for the valves in the filters? Or the filtration efficiency by filter age and particulate size? Let's talk about combinations of oils and filters that work synergistically.

But if you want to try to scare us into supporting your view with an agenda laden youtube video, and you'll argue against those who demand more evidence or offer another solution, go hang out with the anti-vaxxers and/or daesh, and rage against the idea that anyone should question your outlandish ideas.
Old 12-12-15, 03:35 PM
grunner58
Driver

Originally Posted by grunner58
Here is the Fram Ultraguard XC 3600 opened:

If you cannot see the difference between it and the Mahle, well, what can I say.
Here's the Mahle:

Quick Reply: My favorite Oil Filter