LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

fender pulling in a neighborhood near you

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-12, 05:48 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default fender pulling in a neighborhood near you

so i successfully pulled my front fenders out about 5-8mm allowing to run as low as I prefer without the awful sound that the fender makes when you try to turn up hill and the tire touches the fender.

it was actually much easier than i had ever imagined, but i attribute this to having all of the proper equipment and another set of steady yet patient hands

i should have taken pics but didn't. the plan is to pull the rears out about 10mm in the coming weekends.

we used a certified fender roller, a heat gun, and a laser temp thing.

the first step is to have already shaved fenders

second step is to get the fender at about 140-180 F (i read this somewhere but can't recall where so i can't quote it at the moment); i tried to keep it at about 150-160F, then the other set of hands gently apply pressure to the fenders with the roller just like you would if you were rolling the fender. i'd say to work on it gently for about 10-15 mins per fender just to take it slow and not cause any damage. then your done.

the fronts look exactly like stock just that the most bottom outer edges of the fender are now about 5-8mm further away from the car. if you had stock wheels on the car you couldn't even tell the difference and this is exactly what i wanted (for resale value of course).

i can only hope that the rears go as smoothly.

gotta give a shout out to ben for offering up his tools, garage, time, and fender rolling experience to help me out with this.
Old 02-05-12, 08:56 AM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Getting her right huh sojah. Are you coming to the bmore meet this month with your car?
Old 02-05-12, 09:00 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i am unable to make it to the b-more meet since i'll be in orlando that weekend. gotta go spend some time with my grandfather who is getting pretty old and immobile recently.
Old 02-05-12, 08:22 PM
vipclss
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know I was thinking bout pulling my rear fenders too like my front's. But then I would prefer to have metal fabs on my fenders. Just have to find the right shop around the bay area that can do it for a good price. Any suggestions or recommendations..Please let me know..

thanks
Old 02-06-12, 02:51 PM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

well, lets get some after pictures!
Old 02-08-12, 12:36 PM
LRoy430ul
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where are you getting them rolled at? I had my rears rolled but need to redo my passenger rear over again cause I still rub on that side occasionally.
Old 02-20-12, 01:18 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

well i pulled my already shaved rear fenders out this time about 5mm. the rear didn't do what i wanted them to do.

since the rear wheel well is shaped differently than the front it wasn't as easy as just pulling the fender out from say 2 -10 on the clock (pretend like your looking at a clock). the front only needed a pull out from like 2-10 on the clock since the front wheel well is much wider once you get past 2 or 10 on the clock. the rear fender is not much larger than a 20" wheel and even though we got it to come out from 2-10 once i put a large spacer on the wheel and lowered the car, the rear fender still sat on the tire at the 9 and 3 position.

the only thing to do to fit a much wider wheel without getting custom fenders welded on is to get the tabs at 3 and 9 cut and somehow stretched/pulled way out. this was way beyond my level of comfort and of mechanical skills so i decided not to touch this part.

has anyone any good experience or recommendations for how to get these 3 and 9 positions pulled out???

i may just have to order my new wheels slightly less aggressive because i was unable to get the 3 and 9 positions where i wanted them.
Old 02-20-12, 03:00 PM
djMaru
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I could look at it. I'm only couple hours from you sojah.
Old 02-20-12, 06:01 PM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

There really is no easy way to pull those spots out. It's either custom body work or less aggressive wheels like we had talked about.