LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

battery died while on vacation. what to do in the future to avoid it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-09, 05:11 PM
GoldGS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery died while on vacation. what to do in the future to avoid it?

I didn't drive the LS for 6 days, and battery died.

I'll be out of town again soon. What should I do to prevent battery drainage?

Thank you for information.
Old 12-13-09, 06:24 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Two possible solutions:

I use a battery tender on my garden tractor in the winter between snows and on the battery pulled from my Allante: http://batterytender.com/automotive.html . It keeps the battery at full charge, but you have to remember to connect / disconnect it.

A number of Allante owners use the PriorityStart because their cars develop higher parasitic current draw over time: http://www.prioritystart.com/ . It automatically disconnects the battery if the voltage drops below 11.7V. It automatically reconnects when you turn the key. However, if it engages, you'll lose memory settings and use of keyless remotes.

Another option is tracking down all the current drains when the key is off, repairing them, and installing a new battery.
Old 12-13-09, 06:30 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldGS3
I didn't drive the LS for 6 days, and battery died.

I'll be out of town again soon. What should I do to prevent battery drainage?

Thank you for information.
A battery should not die in 6 days. You either have a drain or it's time to replace the battery.
Old 12-13-09, 07:48 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Owner's manual says to disable the smart key (if you have this feature) by pushing the button above the driver's right knee area (look up from the bottom). If you don't have smart keys, then run a trickle charger to the battery. I run a 3A trickle charger to my battery if I don't drive it for more than a few days. It takes a lot of driving (like an entire day) to fully charge a depleted battery. An hour, although it might provide sufficient charge to start the engine, won't give a full charge. There's just a ton of electronics that run on the LS when it's off. Also, when you lock the doors, the vehicle is constantly searching for the master key (if you have the smart key).
Old 12-13-09, 08:12 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would say your battery is probably not fresh. I have the SA on my LS and I've gone for some times two weeks without driving the vehicle and it starts up each time fine. Some times a little longer than usual crank, but battery was not dead.

Are you keeping your keys close to the vehicle when you don't drive it. I think when your keys are close enough where the SA detects it, then you'll be draining the battery.
Old 12-14-09, 09:59 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Are you keeping your keys close to the vehicle when you don't drive it. I think when your keys are close enough where the SA detects it, then you'll be draining the battery.
Can you define how close is too close? Also, can you observe something in the car to identify that the car has detected the SA? I ask because when I get my car, my key hook is about 8-10' from the back bumper with a wall in between.
Old 12-14-09, 10:10 AM
GoldGS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
Owner's manual says to disable the smart key (if you have this feature) by pushing the button above the driver's right knee area (look up from the bottom).
Thanks Jim and everyone else who provided information.

My battery was drained too much, so replaced it.

Hopefully I'll remember to disable the smart key before going out-of town.
Old 12-14-09, 12:31 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

disconnect the negative terminal on your battery and buy an intelligent battery charger ($100 black & decker from walmart is what i use on my performance batteries)
Old 12-14-09, 07:48 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I like the Odyssey batteries...military spec and used by law enforcement. They are both deep cycle and starting batteries in one. I like them better than the Optimas (have had the red top & blue top). The blue top (marine deep cycle) battery would progressively start the engine slower and slower over a period of several weeks (like when it's really cold outside), but it was during the summertime. Nice thing about this was I had prior warning that the battery was on its last legs. I believe it's because the battery was a deep cycle. Normal starter batteries can work one day and are dead the next.
Old 12-14-09, 09:07 PM
stock_sc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how about a solar trickle charger? thats if you dont garage you ls.
Old 12-15-09, 05:33 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Can you define how close is too close? Also, can you observe something in the car to identify that the car has detected the SA? I ask because when I get my car, my key hook is about 8-10' from the back bumper with a wall in between.
According to the manual, around 15 feet or so.

The car will actively search for a key for a few days, after which it will turn it off this tracking service on its own. During this process, a weak battery will give out.

However, if the key is within range, the car will continue to make contact with the key and wait for you to touch the handle.
Old 12-15-09, 08:38 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I just went to my car (04 LS430 UL) t0 physically check the distance that the car would connect with the key. My bedroom is adjacent to the garage and my key is located approximately 8 feet from the front bumper but separated by a wall of course. Never have had a battery drain problem.

Here's what I found. I locked the car and found that the key actually has a red light that will blink when it makes connection with the car! Mine makes connection when about 4 feet from any door. Interestingly, there is no signal shown from the rear of the car, but the trunk button will unlock on touch.

This car never ceases to amaze me with all it's little wonders.
Old 12-15-09, 06:33 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Thanks for the info.