LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Speedometer question..

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-03, 12:53 PM
johnw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer question..

For the last few months my speedometer has been working only part of the time. The brightness remains constant, as does the rest of the dash but the needle would sometimes stay at 0 and for the last week it hasn't moved at all.

My question is this: To fix it could it be as simple as taking it out and oiling it or is it one of those things you just can't get to without breaking the instrument ?

Johnw.
Old 05-04-03, 10:56 AM
lextek
Driver

When your driving and the speedo needle is not moving try bumping the top of the dash with your hand a time or two, if it jars it loose and begins to work you know where the problem is, the speedo head. They do have a tendency to stick after some age is on the car.

Good Luck
Lextek
Old 05-04-03, 09:03 PM
johnw
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I'll try it. but if it is just sticking, whats the solution ?

johnw.
Old 05-05-03, 07:41 AM
tn52
Rookie

Default Bad news...

You can read more about this problem/s, just do a search on dash instrument and/or needles... There are tons of information on these here. It was NOT mechanical (loose or anything) but bad electronic module/s in the dash ($$$$$). Very often, these needles (one, two, or all (speedo, tach, fuel)) will not move then the lightings will quit....
Old 05-05-03, 09:13 AM
LamSV
Driver School Candidate

Hello JohnW,

I think we both may have the same problem. See my earlier post on 5/2/03. Hopefully it will shed some light to your problem. Any answers to your problem will probably be applicable to me too.

By the way, a member (PLetner) suggested that I disconnect my battery (-ve) terminal. I tried that last Saturday but it did not solve the problem, in my case.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

94 LS400 Speedometer, Cruise Control, Odometer all failed and O/D light flashes

Hello There,

I hope someone can give me some answers.

I have a 94 LS400 with 115,000 miles and I live in Houston TX. Prior to this, I had the common problem as reported in ClubLexus, of instrument cluster not lighted up during the cold months. With warmer months coming back to Houston, my instruments light up within 3 minutes of driving my car first time in the morning. This is a known problem - I do not need further answers here.

However, I had another problem last night. I parked my car to pick up my son from soccer practice. On re-start of the engine, my instrument cluster was fully lighted up ie all needles and indicators were visible (like normal). But my speedometer (needle on zero), cruise control (indicator on OK) and odometer (could read current number but it did not increment) all went dead at the same time. My O/D yellow light was also flickering intermittently. I never have seen this before. My car could still be driven nicely but I was not sure what was going on, especially driving without any speed indication.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Old 05-05-03, 07:00 PM
johnw
Driver School Candidate

Default Lextek and LamSV

Lextek, you were right, I tapped the dash lightly and the speedo came back on but I still would like to know if I can lubricate it in some way.

To LamSV, our problems aren't quite the same as the only instrument that fails is the speedo but I seem to remember someone saying to turn down the dash lights because the heat they radiate can burn out some of the dash components.

Johnw.
Old 05-06-03, 06:05 AM
LamSV
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

Hello JohnW,

You are right !!! My problem is different. Last night whilst driving, I tried tapping (actually light banging) on the instrument cluster (front and top) but to no avail. The problem still remained (speedometer dead, odometer dead, cruise control dead and O/D OFF flashing intermittently).

Any other inputs?

Thanks
Old 01-06-08, 01:52 PM
wpai
Driver School Candidate

It appears that the "sticking" speedometer and techometer problems mostly occur on early 90-94 models. Mine is a 1998 and I experience the same problem. Both meters do not move until ~10-15 minutes driving after cold start. Any other has the same problem on 98-00 models? Is there a (cheap) solution?
Old 01-07-08, 10:11 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to share I have a 95 and only the speedo needle stops working from time to time. It has been 6 months since it happened last. Chubby has a long thread that talks about it. It is a pesky problem when it occurs but mine is erratic and usually starts working again within 20 minutes. I always thought it was a vehicle speed sensor (VSS) - others said I needed a new instrument cluster. Since it has worked for 6 months I am fine