LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Replacement Key programming

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-15, 11:31 AM
saleenssc
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Replacement Key programming

1998 Lexus LS400

I recently purchased the following key as a spare.

Amazon.com: New Uncut Keyless 3 Button Remote Head Key Fob for Select Lexus w/FREE DIY Programming Guide: Automotive Amazon.com: New Uncut Keyless 3 Button Remote Head Key Fob for Select Lexus w/FREE DIY Programming Guide: Automotive

I have already had the key cut by my local locksmith. It inserts into all key holes perfectly. I just finished programming the key and it properly starts my engine. My question is in regards to the instructions provided for programming the remote. Here are the instructions:

1998 Lexus LS400 Remote Programming
This procedure is for Factory Installed keyless entry systems. Please read these instructions thoroughly prior to programming to have a general idea of what you will be doing. This will erase all remotes from the vehicle’s memory, so all original remotes will need to be reprogrammed in the same procedure. You must use a master remote key to perform self programming procedure. If you do not have a master key, a dealer will need to program it for you.

1. Begin with the key out of the ignition
2. OPEN and UNLOCK the DRIVERS side door. Make sure all other doors including the trunk are closed.
3. INSERT the key into the ignition and PULL IT OUT
4. Locate the driver’s side door lock/unlock switch
5. Press the LOCK then UNLOCK the switch 5 times.
(Try to pace yourself to 1 second for each LOCK and UNLOCK sequence.
Lock/Unlock/Lock/Unlock/Lock/Unlock/Lock/Unlock/Lock/Unlock)
6. CLOSE and OPEN the DRIVERS side door
7. Press the LOCK then UNLOCK the switch 5 times. (Try to pace yourself to 1 second for each LOCK and UNLOCK sequence. Lock/Unlock/Lock/Unlock/Lock/Unlock/Lock/Unlock/Lock/Unlock)
8. INSERT the KEY into the ignition
9. Switch the ignition to ON then OFF TWICE (ON/OFF/ON/OFF)
10. REMOVE the key from the ignition
11. The door locks will cycle(lock and unlock) to confirm successful entry into programming mode
12. PUSH and RELEASE the LOCK and UNLOCK button on the first remote you are programming at the SAME TIME(Does not matter which remote you program first)
13. As soon as you let go PUSH and HOLD the lock button on the SAME REMOTE for 2 seconds. The door locks will cycle to confirm successful programming of the remote.
14. Repeat steps 12 and 13 for each additional remote you wish to program. If you have no additional remotes, proceed to step 15.
15. Close the DRIVERS side door. Programming is now complete

Why will the existing factory remote be erased ??????? my research ive done on clublexus so far does not indicate that my existing remote should be erased. Im just trying to program a new one. Anyone else have any experience with this issue? any help would be greatly appreciated. I have not tried to program the remote yet.

THANKS
Old 12-18-15, 01:43 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by saleenssc
1998 Lexus LS400

Amazon.com: New Uncut Keyless 3 Button Remote Head Key Fob for Select Lexus w/FREE DIY Programming Guide: Automotive

I have already had the key cut by my local locksmith. It inserts into all key holes perfectly. I just finished programming the key and it properly starts my engine. My question is in regards to the instructions provided for programming the remote. Here are the instructions:

This procedure is for Factory Installed keyless entry systems. Please read these instructions thoroughly prior to programming to have a general idea of what you will be doing. This will erase all remotes from the vehicle’s memory, so all original remotes will need to be reprogrammed in the same procedure. You must use a master remote key to perform self programming procedure. If you do not have a master key, a dealer will need to program it for you.

2. OPEN and UNLOCK the DRIVERS side door. Make sure all other doors including the trunk are closed.
7. Press the LOCK then UNLOCK the switch 5 times. (Try to pace yourself to 1 second for each LOCK and UNLOCK sequence. Lock/Unlock/Lock/Unlock/Lock/Unlock/Lock/Unlock/Lock/Unlock)
11. The door locks will cycle(lock and unlock) to confirm successful entry into programming mode
12. PUSH and RELEASE the LOCK and UNLOCK button on the first remote you are programming at the SAME TIME(Does not matter which remote you program first)
13. As soon as you let go PUSH and HOLD the lock button on the SAME REMOTE for 2 seconds. The door locks will cycle to confirm successful programming of the remote.
14. Repeat steps 12 and 13 for each additional remote you wish to program. If you have no additional remotes, proceed to step 15.

Why will the existing factory remote be erased ??????? my research ive done on clublexus so far does not indicate that my existing remote should be erased. Im just trying to program a new one. Anyone else have any experience with this issue? any help would be greatly appreciated. I have not tried to program the remote yet.

THANKS
Looks like you would have to do step 14 for the new and old remote.
Old 12-18-15, 02:18 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

you better take a look at this:
Attached Files
Old 12-18-15, 02:37 PM
SteezyLS98
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by billydpowe
you better take a look at this:
so we are able to have two remote keys if desired i have one and was wondering if i can get another one with remote but i was told by others that i can only have on remote key and the spare has to be a regular key?
Old 12-18-15, 05:08 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Within Billy's TSIB instructions: Procedure B line #1 will have your answer.
Old 12-18-15, 10:45 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

I think you can have up to 4 remotes programmed into the system at any given time. If you try to to program an additional remote when all the skis are full it will just erase one of the remotes that if in the system. It will not erase the master remote that you are using to program the new remote.
Old 12-20-15, 10:28 AM
badua808
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are different settings that you enable when doing this. When youre talking about it erasing the existing remote, that is Rewrite. Even if you do Rewrite them, your existing key can be reprogrammed. Before going ahead with this, make sure all of your door lock actuators are working. If they arent all working, or if one of them are weak and wont lock and unlock 5 times in a row, which is very common. Then you will need a buddy to mechanically lock and unlock the door lock by hand while your in the drivers seat pressing the switch. Toyota allows 4 remotes to be programmed to the vehicle, and on models this old you are able to reprogram existing remotes to your vehicle.
Old 12-20-15, 10:31 AM
badua808
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Step 9 is where you enable a certain mode. Try cycling the key on and off only once. I believe twice enters rewrite mode which is meant for when you lose your master remote and want to program a new remote but erase the original one just in case someone has it and you don't want them entering your car with it.
Old 10-20-20, 11:55 PM
LS4from505
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clarification on multiple keyless fobs issue/questions

Originally Posted by saleenssc
1998 Lexus LS400

Amazon.com: New Uncut Keyless 3 Button Remote Head Key Fob for Select Lexus w/FREE DIY Programming Guide: Automotive

THANKS

If you have multiple keyless fobs ALWAYS keep the MASTER ORIGINAL put away! If you lose, destroy or have it stolen you just cancel it with the rewrite mode and it can not be used to operate the vehicle. Remember that you have to worry about the transponder most though! Driving away with your car is WAY worse that someone just getting in! (Pics of your ride is nice to see guys/ladies)
98 LS400 project

Last edited by LS4from505; 10-20-20 at 11:59 PM.