LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Our real nice '94 was hit hard passenger side. Would like to repair it but...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-14, 11:28 AM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Our real nice '94 was hit hard passenger side. Would like to repair it but...

'Passenger side front' I should have written...

The guy parked along side the road we were traveling on and decided to do a u-turn without looking w just a few feet in front of us.

I was only going around 35 mph when I t-boned him but our damage estimate is $7K (new parts) from his insurance company.

Allstate valued our car at $3500 ...$350 of that is the salvage bid from Copart.

The shop said it could do the repairs (hood, pass fender, lights, bumper, a little straightening etc) for the $3150 if they can find the used parts in the Northeast but so far they haven't seen much available.

Car has around 190K miles on it; all new suspension is not even 2 years old and brakes less then a year. Ran like a champ. Rust free example got off ebay in 04/2011.

The car has been a blast out on the country roads the way the suspension soaks up everything thrown at it.

Great winter car too with studded tires on all 4 wheels.

Hate to let it go and start with an unknown replacement, but...

Opinions welcome.

Last edited by wnyjazz; 03-23-14 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-21-14, 12:17 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally I'd be wary of a shop that says they can do it for less than half of what the insurance company is claiming. Sounds like they just might be taking a few shortcuts and not really doing the best job, so it might be best to let this one go
Old 03-21-14, 12:21 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

Where are the pics??? I might take that money and start looking for a used LS in decent shape with a lot of records. Obviously you have been down that road already so it should not be that hard. Pics would give us a better ideal of what is going on though.

Last edited by sha4000; 03-21-14 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-21-14, 12:36 PM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Originally Posted by Shmee
Personally I'd be wary of a shop that says they can do it for less than half of what the insurance company is claiming. Sounds like they just might be taking a few shortcuts and not really doing the best job, so it might be best to let this one go
I know what you mean but the shop is well thought of.

Originally Posted by sha4000
Where are the picks??? I might take that money and start looking for a used LS in decent shape with a lot of records. Obviously you have been down that road already so it should not be that hard. Pics would give us a better ideal of what is going on though.
The car is about 1 hour from me since we were out of town where it happened.

I'll take pics next time I'm there.

I would say I'm leaning towards what you're suggesting, but with salt used on these roads not sure the quality/quantity of the used LS's out there locally.

But I'm looking.
Old 03-21-14, 01:54 PM
timmy0tool
Forum Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

did you hit him at 35 or slowed down before hitting him? hard to assess without seeing the actual damage.

for me, i would let it go and find a new one. a car that's seen a collision is never the same in my eyes and mind regardless of how good the repair. best wishes to you!
Old 03-21-14, 01:58 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

sadly, a car that takes a hard hit will never be the same, especially reliability-wise

if it was me, I would take the money and buy another LS400, one that has never been in an accident
Old 03-21-14, 04:39 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

I would travel as far as North Carolina if i found one in good shape with no rust.
Old 03-21-14, 04:46 PM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
did you hit him at 35 or slowed down before hitting him? hard to assess without seeing the actual damage.

for me, i would let it go and find a new one. a car that's seen a collision is never the same in my eyes and mind regardless of how good the repair. best wishes to you!
I was on the brakes hard for a few seconds...our airbag didn't deploy. His did in a 2011 Regal.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
sadly, a car that takes a hard hit will never be the same, especially reliability-wise

if it was me, I would take the money and buy another LS400, one that has never been in an accident
Pretty sure that's what will happen.

Originally Posted by sha4000
I would travel as far as North Carolina if i found one in good shape with no rust.
Might just do that.
Old 03-22-14, 02:35 PM
Largefarva
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, can you replace the car for $3500? I doubt it. I would have it fixed, but its hard to say without pics of how bad the damage is, if the frame is okay and its just the apron and sheet metal then there's no worries, plus you know the car already. I'd look for a similar shape car and go after the insurance for more money, if they stand firm take the cash and your car and have it repaired. The LS is crazy-strong, it can take a hit.
Old 03-22-14, 03:46 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

you can buy mint condition, garage kept, creampuff 94 LS400's all day long for $3500 - that looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor!

no way I would fix a heavily wrecked one, you will spend all that money and it won't be nearly as good or reliable as one you could have bought for the same money
Old 03-23-14, 12:08 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Time to say good bye unfortunately.
Old 03-23-14, 12:57 PM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RA40
Time to say good bye unfortunately.
Mike,

I'm at 99% to do that, so I'd like to find a '98-'00.

I put a WTB ad in the classifieds.
Old 03-23-14, 01:44 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

often the insurance company will write you a check and just let you keep the wrecked car, if so, there are several parts on it with monetary value to the members here! - so liquidate those before sending it to the crusher!

lots of things have value, such as ECU, Idle Air Control Valve, intake tubes, seats if in great shape, engine covers, windshield, etc.
Old 03-23-14, 06:26 PM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

:
Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
often the insurance company will write you a check and just let you keep the wrecked car, if so, there are several parts on it with monetary value to the members here! - so liquidate those before sending it to the crusher!

lots of things have value, such as ECU, Idle Air Control Valve, intake tubes, seats if in great shape, engine covers, windshield, etc.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-23-14, 06:54 PM
peterls
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

I second what LScowboy said (I was going to post exact same thing).
This time though I would get a second generation LS. Seem easier to work on and some kinks have been ironed out... (like better breaks)
Basically, you should have no problem parting it out for more than a grand, close to two.
Just engine and transmission are worth close to a grand. Each seat, if in good condition, at least $100, if not more. Then you have these smaller pieces:

- ECU $50-$100
- Taillights $30-$50 ea.
- Sunroof $100 or so
- Speedo, and the rest of IP ~ $100-200
- Other ECUs (ABS, seat memory...) ~ $50
- PS pump ~ 50-100

so there is money to be made there, although it is probably easier to sell it for parts all as one piece.

Last edited by peterls; 03-23-14 at 06:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Our real nice '94 was hit hard passenger side. Would like to repair it but...