LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1999 LS400 Radio Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-13, 05:16 AM
GH5T
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
Well guys, I actually figured out which wires to do that (Multimeters are a gift from God) and grounded it under a bolt-type thing on the left-side steering brace. Now here's a picture of where I'm at now:

Right now the radio is powered up, grounded and the antenna is hooked up. That's it. I don't know where the speaker wires are and I need your help! Pictures of the radio plugs/colors of the wire will be up in the next hour or so. Car is a '99 LS with Pioneer Premium Sound.
Which head unit is this? I'm thinking about replacing the one my 98'.
Old 10-01-13, 07:39 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GH5T
Which head unit is this? I'm thinking about replacing the one my 98'.
The head unit I have is the JVC KW-AV61BT. It has some pretty cool features such as:
  • 20Wx4 RMS - 50Wx4 Peak - about the sweet spot for our door speakers, as long as you're running a *decent* power wire.
  • Bluetooth (microphone included!) - the ability to control your phone/iPod via the head unit and make calls/play songs (since I have an iPhone, it's the best of both world's but for now it's only temporary until I get a 3.5mm AUX cable)
  • 6.1" Touch Screen (detachable if you're concerned about potential theft)
  • Loads of expandability (i.e. 3 sets of RCAs, video inputs/outputs, XM radio compatibility, etc.)
  • Physical volume **** - the main reason why I went with this unit - Alternatively, you can "draw" clockwise/counterclockwise circles on the screen to raise and lower the volume, respectively.
  • Customizable Button Colors (i.e. "Gee, I sure wish my buttons could glow green to match the green buttons in my LS400" - your wish has been granted)
  • USB Port - good for data connections (playing music is a good example) but not really so well if you want to, say, charge your phone as it's only 1A, while most phones typically charge at 5A. You can also connect an iDevice - if you wish to view images/video then you will need to purchase a separate cable from JVC.
  • The ability to set a custom wallpaper (personally, I use the Garson logo for mine) from a USB flash drive.
  • An easy "parking brake bypass" (simply ground the parking brake wire to the chassis of the head unit - note that this can also work with other head units, but it's more of a stroke of luck with the manufacturer than anything else - Alpine, for example, designs their head units specifically to avoid this sort of thing.)
  • Reverse camera compatibility
  • Support for Asian characters - if you're music library has a hint of "JDM" like mine, then this can be a pretty cool feature.

Also, if you're having any doubts about wiring, hit me up with a PM, I'll be glad to assist you, though be warned, this car is a nightmare.

Last edited by Sc0pe; 10-01-13 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-06-13, 07:32 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Alrighty guys, amps wired up (pic below) and everything's all connected. I'll be throwing a DIY up in a day or two. Kudos to timmy0tool for the wire routing advice!

Also, quick question! Does removing the OEM subwoofer improve the amount of bass which enters the cabin?

Last edited by Sc0pe; 10-06-13 at 09:01 PM.