LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

99 LS 400 Maintenance/Repair Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-11, 12:12 PM
tbtx2010
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 99 LS 400 Maintenance/Repair Questions

I recently purchased a 1999 LS400 with 80k miles. Very clean and very good condition. You can see and read about it here if you are interested:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-ls-400-a.html

So I took it to Lexus of Austin today to get them to check out a whole list of things. Despite what I said in the linked thread above, I don't intend to have the dealership do all (or any really) of the work on this car. Nonetheless, I wanted to see what they had to say about a few issues.

I have now located a well respected former Lexus guy who has his own shop and is supposedly the go to guy for Lexus/Toyota repairs in Austin. He is supposed to be super knowledgeable and much cheaper than the dealership. I haven't priced anything through him yet.

Also in my bag of tricks, I have another guy who is a very talented mechanic and super reasonable on pricing. He is partners with my neighbor in a business where they buy Porsche's with dead engines and rebuild them. I've been to their shop, seen his work, and he's done a ton of work on an old Toyota pickup of mine with 220k miles on it. Does great work and super cheap. Communication with him is a challenge because he's completely deaf, but so far its been ok. Also, he doesn't have specific Toyota/Lexus experience but my buddy claims he can fix anything and I believe him.

I would love to do some of this work on my own, but while I am generally handy, my knowledge of car repair is about like my knowledge of karate: just enough to get my *** kicked!

Anyway, I wanted to get you guys' thoughts on the list of items Lexus came up with, how to tell if the repairs are really needed/crtical, and if so should they be done by someone with real Lexus knowledge or should a very good general mechanic be able to handle them?

1. Timing belt / water pump / crank cam seals - This has not been changed. 12 yo car but only 80k miles. I have read where the timing belt is miles related but the water pump is age related. The water pump is not leaking now. Lexus quote: $1,300.

2. Replace rear wheel bearings - I asked Lexus to look at what seems like slightly excessive road noise to me. They cam back with a rear wheel bearing replacement rec. I don't hear a roaring really like I would have expected with a bearing issue. Any ideas on how to verify the need? Lexus quote: $1,088.

3. Power steering high pressure hose leaking? - I asked them to check on this after reading quite a bit about the common problem with the hose leaking into the alternator. They claimed it was leaking and rec replacing the pump and an alignment. Does the whole pump always need to be replaced or just the high pressure hose sometimes? Lexus quote: $1,047.

4. Motor/Transmission mounts - Lexus also recommended changing these. I asked them to inspect the bushings and suspension. This is what they came back with. I have no idea how to tell if these really need replacing or not. From what I can tell the car was driven easy for its life. It was a one owner doctor who drove it < 8k miles/yr for 11 years. Lexus quote: $685

I definitely plan on getting these items evaluated by my other mechanics, but as I said I wanted to get the groups input as well.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-27-11, 01:09 PM
etex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I am a strong advocate for timely preventive maintenance, I would drive the car as is and listen/feel for things that might come up to warrant further attention. Change the fluids, read the forums, and pay attention to the members and to your intuitions. You'll stay out of trouble and get things done that need to be done. No hurry on TB/WP for a few thousand miles yet.
Old 01-28-11, 12:41 AM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

An indy mechanic might be able to do the timing belt/water pump for under $800. Have him clean the throttle body, change spark plugs,etc. since all those parts to reach the timing belt will be off.
Don`t hurry, you will get a better picture of what is needed as you use the car for a while.
Old 01-28-11, 06:34 PM
willcrets
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not replace the engine/transmission mounts unless I could feel vibration in the chassi while sitting on the driveway and very slowly increasing the RPM from idle to 2300...I had severe vibration following a transmission rebuild. I guess they damaged the mounts in the process.
Old 01-29-11, 06:21 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

1. When you have the timing belt replaced, be sure to have the idlers, tensioner, and other minor parts replaced too - at least as important as replacing the water pump.

2. Your "excessive" road noise could be from something as simply as tire wear patterns or defects. I've found that the amount of road noise in my 2000 LS400 is very dependent on tire type and tire age.

3. Have you felt around the high pressure hose for a leak? I would likely be obvious - particularly if the reservoir requires topping up the fluid. An alignment might be in order if one has not been done recently. If your car was maintained by the dealer, you should be able to look at the car's maintenance record and see when the last one was done. Have you registered your VIN at https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home so you can see the maintenance records?

4. The life of Motor/Transmission mounts seems to be highly variable with the transmission mount usually going first. Maybe it is age/weather/temperature related. I'm starting to feel a slight vibration through the steering wheel at idle and asked about having the transmission and/or engine mounts replaced last year at the 120,000 mile maintenance. The indie Lexus repair shop I've used for the past 14 years said that all the mounts were in good shape and recommended against replacing any of them for now.
Old 02-01-11, 02:17 PM
sethjon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tbtx2010
I recently purchased a 1999 LS400 with 80k miles. Very clean and very good condition. You can see and read about it here if you are interested:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-ls-400-a.html

So I took it to Lexus of Austin today to get them to check out a whole list of things. Despite what I said in the linked thread above, I don't intend to have the dealership do all (or any really) of the work on this car. Nonetheless, I wanted to see what they had to say about a few issues.

I have now located a well respected former Lexus guy who has his own shop and is supposedly the go to guy for Lexus/Toyota repairs in Austin. He is supposed to be super knowledgeable and much cheaper than the dealership. I haven't priced anything through him yet.

Also in my bag of tricks, I have another guy who is a very talented mechanic and super reasonable on pricing. He is partners with my neighbor in a business where they buy Porsche's with dead engines and rebuild them. I've been to their shop, seen his work, and he's done a ton of work on an old Toyota pickup of mine with 220k miles on it. Does great work and super cheap. Communication with him is a challenge because he's completely deaf, but so far its been ok. Also, he doesn't have specific Toyota/Lexus experience but my buddy claims he can fix anything and I believe him.

I would love to do some of this work on my own, but while I am generally handy, my knowledge of car repair is about like my knowledge of karate: just enough to get my *** kicked!

Anyway, I wanted to get you guys' thoughts on the list of items Lexus came up with, how to tell if the repairs are really needed/crtical, and if so should they be done by someone with real Lexus knowledge or should a very good general mechanic be able to handle them?

1. Timing belt / water pump / crank cam seals - This has not been changed. 12 yo car but only 80k miles. I have read where the timing belt is miles related but the water pump is age related. The water pump is not leaking now. Lexus quote: $1,300.

2. Replace rear wheel bearings - I asked Lexus to look at what seems like slightly excessive road noise to me. They cam back with a rear wheel bearing replacement rec. I don't hear a roaring really like I would have expected with a bearing issue. Any ideas on how to verify the need? Lexus quote: $1,088.

3. Power steering high pressure hose leaking? - I asked them to check on this after reading quite a bit about the common problem with the hose leaking into the alternator. They claimed it was leaking and rec replacing the pump and an alignment. Does the whole pump always need to be replaced or just the high pressure hose sometimes? Lexus quote: $1,047.

4. Motor/Transmission mounts - Lexus also recommended changing these. I asked them to inspect the bushings and suspension. This is what they came back with. I have no idea how to tell if these really need replacing or not. From what I can tell the car was driven easy for its life. It was a one owner doctor who drove it < 8k miles/yr for 11 years. Lexus quote: $685

I definitely plan on getting these items evaluated by my other mechanics, but as I said I wanted to get the groups input as well.

Thanks in advance.
You can wait on lots of stuff but I'd get the timing belt done real soon for these reasons. As you said, the water pump could go at any time. The belt is under the mileage for a change but might as well do it if you change the pump. this is not an easy job unless you are a real good mechanic and if so figure 4-5 hours. If not, figure 6-9 hours. Dealer cost is outrageous but you should find someone for 5-600. When you do it have the seals looked at too. The wheel bearing need to be pressed on and you are better off taking to someone who can do it RIGHT and easily.