LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-13, 07:34 AM
offremike
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions

I actually have a 1999 Honda Accord LX 4 Cyl.
I'm thinking of purchasing a 1992 Lexus LS 400, 1993 Lexus LS 400 or 1994 Lexus LS 400
I'm wondering what you thoughts might be on that transition?
I really like the interior of the Lexus LS series and I've read it's a really good car to own if it's in good shape.
So would it be worth me selling my car. and hopefully i get some opinions as to why.
Old 02-05-13, 08:04 AM
ls400geek
Driver

Originally Posted by offremike
I actually have a 1999 Honda Accord LX 4 Cyl.
I'm thinking of purchasing a 1992 Lexus LS 400, 1993 Lexus LS 400 or 1994 Lexus LS 400
I'm wondering what you thoughts might be on that transition?
I really like the interior of the Lexus LS series and I've read it's a really good car to own if it's in good shape.
So would it be worth me selling my car. and hopefully i get some opinions as to why.
I've test-driven a 99 accord before and I own a 98 LS400 -- You definitely have more room in the LS400. If you care about gas mileage, stick with the Honda; an old LS400 might only get 15-16 mpg in the city and 20-22 on the freeway. The LS400 definitely has more power though and to me looks infinitely better. The LS400 will be a more comfortable ride.
Old 02-05-13, 09:47 AM
offremike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ls400geek
I've test-driven a 99 accord before and I own a 98 LS400 -- You definitely have more room in the LS400. If you care about gas mileage, stick with the Honda; an old LS400 might only get 15-16 mpg in the city and 20-22 on the freeway. The LS400 definitely has more power though and to me looks infinitely better. The LS400 will be a more comfortable ride.
To be honest, my only worries are with gas and maintenance. Right now i spend around 60-90 on gas and it takes about 45 to fill up my tank (at around 3.42 at the pump) and thats regular, not unleaded. How much more expensive is the maintenance?
Old 02-05-13, 03:04 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

well you're comparing maint. on a 6-7 year newer honda with half the number of cylinders...maint. is going to be a fair bit more on the LS. it's going to be an ~20 year old v8, so it's par for the course. However once everything is running properly it should be exceedingly reliable.

At $3.42/gal the 1LS is going to cost you round about $70 to fill the tank with regular UNLEADED. (I think you meant regular, not premium lol).
Old 02-05-13, 03:10 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You live once. Drive something you'll enjoy. I'm not sure why you wouldn't want an old SC400 instead.
Old 02-05-13, 05:50 PM
DertyDOH
Rookie

I have a 93, and the LS is a million times better than an Accord, but it has a 22.5 gallon tank, gets about 17ish mpg average, and I'd recommend only using premium
Old 02-05-13, 06:47 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

PureDrifter has a good point regarding an older car with more cylinders, vs your accord with half the age and cylinders. if you can find a mint 1LS (90-94), go for it but that would be a rare occurrence. i have worked with a lot of older hondas in the past, and one being a 99 accord v6 sedan. they are definitely two different cars, to drive and to maintain.

i would save a bit more money and go for the 2LS (95-00). it is a vast improvement over the 1LS with the same styling. just remember you're jumping into a luxury segment, which means luxury price in gas (premium only), and maintenance (not too bad but more expensive than honda).
Old 02-05-13, 10:55 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by offremike
To be honest, my only worries are with gas and maintenance. Right now i spend around 60-90 on gas and it takes about 45 to fill up my tank (at around 3.42 at the pump) and thats regular, not unleaded. How much more expensive is the maintenance?
You will spend almost double on gas because the Lexus uses premium and gets about 17 city 25 highway.

You will spend more on maintenance because there are more things to go bad (twice as many spark plugs, more expensive tires, ect..) the Honda accord is one of the most reliable cars ever made and probably more reliable than the Lexus. (except maybe the tranny)

So if these are your main concerns stick to the accord. The LS is one of the most reliable "Luxury" cars not one of the most reliable cars.
Old 02-06-13, 12:20 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

If you can do your own work on the car and are willing to do what may need to be done, i would totally go for it. These are the most awesome cars ever built. However, that being said, I wouldn't recomend them to anyone who ins't mechanically inclined, as there is alot of little things that can go wrong that arent really too bad to deal with, but are BIG $$$ to pay someone else to do them.
Old 02-06-13, 05:52 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Let's get clear on the real gas cost... it's not double... but it is more...
Assuming the accord gets 25 average and the LS 18, and based on 15k miles a year.. YMMV... of course, then you're looking at 600 gallons per year for the Accord and 830 for the LS... Adding the premium price difference then you're looking at $2000 for the accord and $3000/year for the LS... if the LS could squeeze out 20 MPG then your additional cost would only be $700 for the gas portion... thus better argument for looking at 95 and above LS models..

But let's face it... you don't switch to an LS for economy... right? I too use to have a 99 4 door Accord for my 20 mile commute in Dallas... but couldn't hack it... didn't like the low power the bumpy ride... so for me it wasn't worth it... upgraded to an LS...and never looked back. I'm willing to pay more for the luxury ride and feel more refreshed and relaxed when I get to work... no brainer for me... you have to decide is the LS worth the extra cost / year? For me... most definitely...
Old 02-06-13, 08:38 AM
ls400geek
Driver

If you want a toyota car that gets good gas mileage, is reliable, is roomy (even more so than the ls400), is a comfortable ride and is affordable semi-luxury (with leather interior) check out the 1998 Toyota Avalon XLS.

That is the car I had before it got totaled (ended up getting the LS400 because I got a decent payout on the Avalon). Anyways, I owned that Avalon for 3 1/2 years and the only thing I had to replace on it was an o2 sensor. It needed new struts, which I was going to do myself with affordable Camry--Avalon uses Camry suspension parts--complete struts ($90 each -- unity brand). The car is powerful for its size and engine for sure. It has a v6 3.0L. It really gets up and goes when you need the power. It's interior is gorgeous and similar to the 1998 LS400 interior I have. It handles wonderfully in the snow since it's front wheel drive. It gets 18 miles per gallon in the city and 31 miles per gallon on the freeway--usually averaging around 23 mpg overall.

The engine is reliable but you do have to change the oil every 5K miles with Mobile 1 synthetic oil (very important to use synthetic since it is a "sludge" prone engine). As long as you change the oil every 5k and use mobile 1 synthetic, it will keep it clean. Also you should change the PCV grommet and valve every other oil change on this car to ensure it is getting adequate ventilation in the back head so the oil doesn't heat up and cake up.

You can get a really nice one with around 180,000 miles on it for around $3k. Another good thing about this particular year is that the engine is non-interference (if the timing belt breaks you can only get stranded, it won't bend the valves)--the 97 and 99 models were interference engines.

When looking for my replacement car, I was both looking at another 1998 Toyota Avalon XLS or an LS400 (of any year) but ended up finding an LS400 first. I like the Avalon that much.

One thing I do really miss from the Avalon that I don't have in my 98 LS400: a compass in the mirror.

Last edited by ls400geek; 02-06-13 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-06-13, 09:39 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

I agree with the above... have had two of them... 95 with 200k on it and 2004 with 125k on it currently... they are a baby Lexus as I call them and use regular gas... won't have the big feel and ride and power but are adequate and bullet proof... you won't find another 4 door car with as much rear seat legroom as the Avalon... the XLS model has many of the bells and whistles as the Lexus, without the heated seats... I can vouch for the reliability as we have 200k miles on the 95 and outside of an early rank and pinon replacement...nothing but standard maintenance. Be mindful though... the older models, 95-99 call for timing belt replacement every 60k miles and not 90k miles like the newer ones.
Old 02-06-13, 10:15 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've debated many times about getting rid of my LS for a more fuel efficient car... the positives outweigh the negatives which is why I still DD my LS.. Even if I got another car for daily or what not I would probably still drive my LS more..
Old 02-06-13, 11:58 AM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

it really depends how much expendable income you have. My 95 LS gets about 20 in mixed driving. 16 city 27 hwy.(cruise control)

As much as I LOVE the 1st gen (90-94) the 95-97 is significantly better in EVERY way. Ditto for the 98-00.

95+ models are OBDII

Considering you live in MASS, i would only consider a 98+ model for vehicle stability control. And Xenon headlights are much brighter and nicer. Side airbags, dual stage/intensity airbags. Better reliability. Better leather, quieter, more fuel efficient. Better sound system, fewer ECU Issues.

The LS is great, but they are aging and parts are can expensive. Not unreasonably so, but still. For example, commonly replaced parts like any suspension component, power steering pumps, steering racks, alternators, & STARTERS cost SIGNIFICANTLY more in an LS. The 90k t-belt Waterpump service(DO NOT SKIP!!) will run at least 1k at an indie mechanic. Just put away 50 bucks a month in a starter savings account. They all fail and will cost around 1k.

Your Accord is a great car. The Avalon is very nice too. And front wheel drive is better up North. Both cars are easier to repair and have cheaper parts.

Just consider that the LS will be more expensive to purchase, run, maintain, and repair. But then again, if you find a well cared for example, there is little risk of unexpected repairs.

My vote goes for an Avalon. 00-04 cars are very smooth, quiet, roomy, fuel efficient and, more modern. Plus some models had bench seats! COOL!

If can work on your own car though, an LS can be a downright steal in the Luxury Class. No other car in this class comes close to its reliability and value!

Last edited by omarg; 02-06-13 at 12:04 PM. Reason: bold type for emphasis
Old 02-06-13, 12:09 PM
ls400geek
Driver

Originally Posted by Legender
... the XLS model has many of the bells and whistles as the Lexus, without the heated seats.
Interestingly one 1998 Avalon XLS I was looking at had heated seats and VSC First one I've seen. It was actually this one that I test drove that had the heated seats: http://tulsa.craigslist.org/ctd/3544691896.html (I was going to buy it but the seller was a real jerk so I passed.)

Last edited by ls400geek; 02-06-13 at 12:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Opinions