LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1995 lexus ls400 tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-11, 09:36 AM
cxjon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 lexus ls400 tips

I am looking at a 95 so is there anything to look for when buying one so i dont get screwed over...?
Old 01-30-11, 10:08 AM
cxjon
Driver School Candidate

help a honda owner convert
Old 01-30-11, 10:47 AM
etex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My suggestion for the first thing would be the timing belt/water pump in relation to the mileage.
Old 01-30-11, 11:27 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

I thought this was another exhaust tips thread. I'm glad it's not. As etex said, ask when the T-belt was changed last. They are to be changed at every 90k miles. Check power steering pump and rack for leaks. You're better off if the seller has service records so you can see what has been done and when. They're damn good cars but you have to look for the wear and tear. If you do your own work it's even better so you save the labor charges. If so check out these tutorials http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/ to see what's involved in fixing things. Also you can see what to look for when you check out the car.
Old 01-30-11, 11:33 AM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My tip is to go through the sticky at the top of this forum and you'll find a lot of useful information. It'll probably have everything you need to know. Welcome to
Club Lexus.
Old 01-30-11, 11:34 AM
cxjon
Driver School Candidate

Looks good in pics owner hard to reach
Attached Thumbnails 1995 lexus ls400 tips-lexus.jpg  
Old 01-30-11, 11:37 AM
cxjon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by romeo291
My tip is to go through the sticky at the top of this forum and you'll find a lot of useful information. It'll probably have everything you need to know. Welcome to
Club Lexus.
I have a lot of the topics opened and i am learning from them.... but there is no " when buying a older ls 400 thread " so i started one..... searching on a forum this size can yield crap load of bad hits that pretty much waste your time.

thank you for you welcome
Old 01-30-11, 11:46 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

All the usual caveats with buying a pre-owned car of this age. The higher the miles, stay away, super low miles, (Like 40K) stay away. If you can find one ranging from 100-160K you will probably have a decent car so long as all the routine maintenance has been done and there is no gap of neglect.

If there are no service history records like 3'rd owner+, don't even bother. Even with good history, it will likely be a car that will need many suspension bushings to cure the clunks, knocks and squeaks as it rolls over the road. Poor fluid change schedules you can count on PS, rack pinion, tranny and rear end problems.

Scan the subject headers for this forum for just the past 3-4 months and you'll get a good idea what these cars are giving in terms of problems. Adds up to be $$ to fix and even if able to DIY, you will spend many-many hours dedicated to them.

A '95 will hit about $3K-$5K and IMO, just too much headache to consider in this range of lifespan. I'm pretty skeptical and view these as EOL.

My suggestion is if you want an LS of reasonable driveability don't consider a LS400, look at the 430's. Those too have issues so reading the 430 forum is necessary so you know what you may be in for.

GL shopping and let us know what you find. There are good ones out there, just depends how much patience and hunting you are willing to do.
Old 01-30-11, 01:18 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by cxjon
I have a lot of the topics opened and i am learning from them.... but there is no " when buying a older ls 400 thread " so i started one..... searching on a forum this size can yield crap load of bad hits that pretty much waste your time.

thank you for you welcome
lol, you're right, there isn't one "how to buy" thread.
there's several dozen.

if you're pulling bad hits that means you need to learn to use the search function properly, such as using wildcards "*" for words with <4 letters like this "*buy LS400" without the quotes.

or you can even use GOOGLE to search the forum, using the site-specific search.

any questions about what to look for are almost guaranteed to have been answered several times.
Old 01-30-11, 02:26 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

With all the problem posts of the past 6 months, this would be enough to deter me from considering a LS400. Maybe the one owner older types but they tend to hang onto their cars till end of time. We all see them in ancient but near new looking Caddys, Buicks, Avalons...etc.

From memory of the past key threads:

1. ACV-PS. We can almost see that coming 99% of the time on a recently bought LS400's. Then with the leaking PS, there are the dead alternator issues. $750 through the dealer.

2. OCV on the VVTi. This also applies to the 2-GS and 3-LS.

3. Strut bar, control arm bushings.

4. Plugged EGR. That likely in part due to crappy gas and other EFI maintenance issues. Like using the 87 unleaded in place of the 91. We won't go there anyhow.

We do need a buying guide, that might have been better about 5 years ago. Buying these barges now is a money-labor pit of issues. For any who bought an LS early on, you can have a nice running car. Buying now is a gamble if the owner is willing to drop $ to bring up to full function.

I'm pessimistic of LS400's at this point. There are those out there though I suspect the mainstream are filled with enough maintenance issues. One would need to allow an additional $1-2K into the purchase price for any necessary repairs.

A big GL in shopping for these.
There is a '99 at a buddy's lot. I asked him about it and he gave it a
Old 01-30-11, 02:54 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

98+ dont have EGRs, nor does it have the ACV issue, though the high pressure lines/pump can still leak.

strut rod is maint. item, reasonably cheap every 50-80k miles.(if not more), OCV is hit or miss, afaik only about 35-40% of vvti 1uz engines have that issue (usually do to non-religious oil changes by one of the previous owners.)
Old 01-30-11, 03:49 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
98+ dont have EGRs, nor does it have the ACV issue, though the high pressure lines/pump can still leak.
Lucky. So many plugged EGR and I've had that scenario on another Toyota too. PITA, got it cleaned out and EGR replaced, cost ~$450 bills to pass that smog check. Sure beat the first tech who said I needed a new cat, O2 and EGR replacement for $1,200.
Old 02-01-11, 12:16 PM
lexuskim
Rookie

Default Re: older LS400's

Originally Posted by RA40
With all the problem posts of the past 6 months, this would be enough to deter me from considering a LS400. Maybe the one owner older types but they tend to hang onto their cars till end of time. We all see them in ancient but near new looking Caddys, Buicks, Avalons...etc.

From memory of the past key threads:

1. ACV-PS. We can almost see that coming 99% of the time on a recently bought LS400's. Then with the leaking PS, there are the dead alternator issues. $750 through the dealer.

2. OCV on the VVTi. This also applies to the 2-GS and 3-LS.

3. Strut bar, control arm bushings.

4. Plugged EGR. That likely in part due to crappy gas and other EFI maintenance issues. Like using the 87 unleaded in place of the 91. We won't go there anyhow.

We do need a buying guide, that might have been better about 5 years ago. Buying these barges now is a money-labor pit of issues. For any who bought an LS early on, you can have a nice running car. Buying now is a gamble if the owner is willing to drop $ to bring up to full function.

I'm pessimistic of LS400's at this point. There are those out there though I suspect the mainstream are filled with enough maintenance issues. One would need to allow an additional $1-2K into the purchase price for any necessary repairs.

A big GL in shopping for these.
There is a '99 at a buddy's lot. I asked him about it and he gave it a
Hi. You had asked me 2xs to post pix of my '97 LS400 and I told you to look in your driveway because the pix at the end of your posts shows one identical to mine. I'm still learning about computers, internet etc. and "in your garage" means. Sorry, patience please. Your garage says Toyota, what does that mean? Then you say you're pessimistic of LS400's except older? ones. If I got my '97 from 1 owner who literally wanted to be buried in it but, wife said NO! and bought him a new one for Christmas does mine count? Thanks for ALL of your help. Peace. P.S. I still don't know how to find out if I have responses until 1-2 days later. Wah.
Old 02-01-11, 03:46 PM
TXRoadRash
Driver School Candidate

I bought a '95 from a business associate last October (belonged to his mother who recently passed away). It had 75K on the odo and looked flawless inside and out. I didn't have it three weeksbefore I had to replace water pump, timing belt, ball joints, and valve cover gaskets. It still needs (front) lower control arm bushings, but I'm waiting on that until I've got time to tear it down. I love the ride, but am now into it about $2500 more than what I had anticipated. However, once the repairs are finished I wll have a car that I expect will take me another 100-150K in comfort.