LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

2000 LS400 weird issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-10, 02:17 PM
malikqais
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good I stay at Buhairah corniche beside grand cinema. also can you tell me who is your mechanic because here most of the mechanics have no clue, they simply ask you to change parts even the parts are good. You know the guys at sanaiya. Is your mechanic a qualified one or just another sanaiya (Industrial area garages) mechanic. I m having power steering issue but no one knows what to do simply asking me to change the pump.
I dont trust them.
Tell me a qualified lexus mechanic you know here.
Thanks
Old 08-13-10, 02:23 PM
waseem3000
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually there a couple of people who I get the work done if anything comes up as they do each have their expertise and yes I know people in saniaya are useless as they do not know anything and want to make money from asking you to change things for no issue.. what issue do you have with the power steering anyways? And yes for sure I do not trust them and thats why posted it here... actually didnt even take to them since they do now know anything and now since I know what to do I can take it to people who actually know what to do and how to handle it.

ok saw your issue.. will check with my mechanic and get back to you and also will do some research on this end.

Last edited by waseem3000; 08-13-10 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-13-10, 02:31 PM
malikqais
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh i am Glad to hear that. Any ways My car have steering issue its Hard while turning Right and gets harder while turning left Pretty weird han. So where I can take it for sure to get it fixed without experimenting the part swap theory.

Thanks Waiting for your reply

Last edited by malikqais; 08-13-10 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-30-10, 02:06 PM
waseem3000
Rookie

Default Update to the issues mentioned

Hello everyone,

I did the repairs and wanted to thank everyone for the insight.

Turned out the growling voice was the exhaust leaking in the middle of the car at 2 places.

Timing belt, spark plugs, mounts and related work was done and all is good now and issues have disappeared.

Havent yet done the suspension work and will get it done which is the upper control arms, new springs and struts and lower ball joints which should fix any other issues and waiting for some cash and will rectify them.

Just got the car registration renewed and they said that transmission, engine and power steering oils are leaking and I am kinda stumped. I will also check it when getting suspension work done as there were no oil leaks before. Probably maybe oil leaking in steering or loose bolts and will post once I know what the problem was and get it fixed. Oils are all in level and have found no level drop anywhere.

Well that would be all and just thought I update the thread with the results.

Thanks to everyone for their insight again.
Old 03-21-11, 03:11 PM
waseem3000
Rookie

Question Hello everyone!

Well as mentioned I did a proper tune up with timing belt and all engine seal replacement as I had a horrific oil leak and replaced mountings for engine and transmission along with spark plugs, shocks, springs, steering rack (due to leaks) and any other item I could think of. I even replaced my transmission due to some seal and since I had one lying around didnt want to change the seal and to save time just swapped it. My old transmission had a slight thump also which I never noticed and only my mechanic told me lol.

However I have not come to change the fuel filter yet but will do so soon.

It was not a fan clutch or any other issue and all the issues I had were related to mountings particular the transmission mount.

My car is super quiet and the engine is barely audible at any speed with a small exception.

Now I have a slight issue which I wanted to discuss. My car has a faint vibration when the engine is running and it is more noticeable when the engine is cold and is coming from the passenger side. The engine is not noisy or anything and the mounts have been changed already with brand new OEM ones. I can even feel the vibration when you touch the hood from outside the car but it reduces when the engine is warm but it still remains there. What did I miss and why is there vibration in my engine. I cant seem to find any answer upon searching the forum (except changing the mountings) and wanted to know if anyone has any idea what can I do to remove this vibration as the car is so quiet and the vibration is kinda annoying. It occurs regardless of how the transmission is engaged or in parking. The vibration appears at high speeds also at times and is mostly noticeable at idling or low speeds.

I replaced all fluids with Toyota ones and put the Toyota transmission fluid in the transmission and power steering also. I was reading the forums and saw that Dexron IV should not be used in power steering and my mechanic already put the same one in the power steering. Is it going to be an issue and should I flush it immediately or is it fine. I just saw it now and kinda worried. The engine oil is also purchased from Toyota and I do not what it was but it was in golden Toyota can. Basically engine is running very very smoothly except the slight vibration when idling or parked and at high speeds too!

Last edited by waseem3000; 03-21-11 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Forgot a point
Old 03-21-11, 03:23 PM
waseem3000
Rookie

Oh by the way on another note what can be used if Seafoam is not available as I have searched everywhere and cannot find any. However there are some throttle body cleaners available here in aerosol cans but other than that nothing. I am in the UAE and have tried my best to search and find seafoam or any alternative! So what can I use? Any ideas? I will be glad as I have been searching for a while and never found anything that could work as seafoam. My bad luck!
Old 03-23-11, 01:41 AM
qewani1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by waseem3000
Oh by the way on another note what can be used if Seafoam is not available as I have searched everywhere and cannot find any. However there are some throttle body cleaners available here in aerosol cans but other than that nothing. I am in the UAE and have tried my best to search and find seafoam or any alternative! So what can I use? Any ideas? I will be glad as I have been searching for a while and never found anything that could work as seafoam. My bad luck!
Unfortunately seafoam isnt available in uae, i tried seafoam which I shipped from USA, i did not notice any difference on my car performance after using seafoam .

I recommend you to clean throttle body by using "ACDelco Carburetor Cleaner" it is available in any autoparts shop in UAE. Cleaning throttle body makes car' s idle very smooth.
Old 03-23-11, 01:58 AM
qewani1
Lead Lap

Actually there a couple of people who I get the work done if anything comes up as they do each have their expertise and yes I know people in saniaya are useless as they do not know anything and want to make money from asking you to change things for no issue.. what issue do you have with the power steering anyways? And yes for sure I do not trust them and thats why posted it here... actually didnt even take to them since they do now know anything and now since I know what to do I can take it to people who actually know what to do and how to handle it.

ok saw your issue.. will check with my mechanic and get back to you and also will do some research on this end.
Power steering pump leak is common problem in LS400, i had replaced mine with new OEM Power steering pump, better than buying used part
Old 03-23-11, 04:30 AM
waseem3000
Rookie

Default Thx for the insight

Originally Posted by qewani1
Power steering pump leak is common problem in LS400, i had replaced mine with new OEM Power steering pump, better than buying used part
Oh that was not for me as my power steering pump is not leaking or making any noise and I was telling it to the other member and yes I agree that buying new is better than a used part.

Ok I shall try the carb cleaner and I think I already have it and see how it goes and report back. Probably do it over the weekend as swamped with work.

So any insights on my vibration problem I posted above the seafoam post. Thx in advance to anyone who can give their valuable opinion!
Old 03-24-11, 11:58 AM
waseem3000
Rookie

Alright the vibrations are felt in the 900-1300 rpm and 2500-3500 rpm ranges and are present at other rpms and during idling regardless of the car is in gear or not. The engine runs great elsewise except this issue and there is also a ticking noise coming from near the radiator bottle area or somewhere around it and it was not present before. So I am really worried. Is the timing off or something like that. I am scared that this might do permanent damage to the engine, so can anyone think of anything that is causing these issues so I get it fixed immediately. I will be very grateful to you fellow CL members!
Old 03-28-11, 03:17 PM
sethjon
Driver

Hello to everybody on this forum.

I reside in the UAE and have a 2000 LS400 imported from US in light green color with 140,000 miles. The car was bought with 120,000 miles and I assumed most of the maintenance was already carried out and by driving it for sometime now I realize nothing was nothing and I know it is dangerous and I do not want to ruin the engine or anything in the car. Now the regular 90,000 mile tuneup and work on the engine is far due, but I wanted to know since it was delayed so much time is there anything besides the regular items to change also to keep the engine to pristine condition.

The engine now has a slight jerk when picking up and has some vibration (probably due to bad spark plugs) and also the car slips while turning on the road, again probably due to the fact that differential oil was not changed, or I am wrong. Now my question would be why does this jerk happen when picking up the car and by adjusting anything can this be avoided and do I need to look for another differential as it could be busted as there is too much slip whenever I make a turn and yes at slow speeds. The VSC light and no other light is on, and while it slips the yellow VSC indicator blinks and sometimes beeps telling me there is too much slippage. My friend who has a similar car tells me the differential immediately controls itself when turning and my differential could be busted or needs to change the fluids etc and now I am confused on what to do, do I either change the differential with a one from a scrap yard card or try to change the fluids and see how it goes on from there as I do not want to spend so much money on it and not end up fixing the issue.

Also another annoying issue recently surfaced is while the car is cold the car has a weird growling noise coming from I dont know where, sounds like a leaky exhaust or something like that, but it disappears as the car accelerates above 20 miles, so leaky exhaust can be ruled out. The voice actually was initially when the car was cold, but now it is there even while the car is hot and only stays when the car is idling (doesnt matter if it is in gear or not in gear), and stays while accelerating from low idle speeds and vanishes when a speed above 20 mph is achieved. So I am really clueless but cant seem to find what the issue is. Upon search on this forum for exhaust issues I saw that probably the EGR tube is busted or something like that, but cant seem to find what this tube looks like not even in the manual or on the web or on the forum. So any help in this regard would be appreciated.

Yes I am taking it for a tune up as soon as possible as it is going to cost me a few grands to get it done and I really regret not doing it before, I should have made sure about this beforehand.

Well no use crying over split milk and now have to get the work done before anything goes back. Yes I searched the forum for issues related to differential and engine jerk and cant seem to get anywhere and thereby posting a new thread, else I wouldnt have.

Any help by anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for everyone for their insight into the issues.
The first thing you better get done IMMEDIATELY is the timing belt and water pump if the 90K service was not done. If the belt breaks you will do big damage to the motor. The plugs need to be replaced but I don't think they would cause the problem you are decribing but they are over due for a change. You might alos want to change the coolant sensor, only about $40, which will probably give you better gas mileage. As far as the differential goes, I wouldn't get one from a sscrap yard. It might be as bad as yours. Check the oil first.
Old 03-28-11, 03:27 PM
waseem3000
Rookie

Originally Posted by sethjon
The first thing you better get done IMMEDIATELY is the timing belt and water pump if the 90K service was not done. If the belt breaks you will do big damage to the motor. The plugs need to be replaced but I don't think they would cause the problem you are decribing but they are over due for a change. You might alos want to change the coolant sensor, only about $40, which will probably give you better gas mileage. As far as the differential goes, I wouldn't get one from a sscrap yard. It might be as bad as yours. Check the oil first.
Yup already did the timing belt, coolant sensor and other parts including plugs and differential sorted itself out when the mounts were changed but havent done the oil though and will get it to it also when the time comes. Read my current posts and you should get what is the current issue. That was a while ago!