LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

92 LS400, Radio (Head Unit) dead after battery replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-09, 09:21 AM
Greek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 LS400, Radio (Head Unit) dead after battery replacement...

Hey guys, I searched and seached and couldn't find any threads with my issue.

So, the battery in my 92 LS400 died, I hadn't driven the car in a couple months (spare car). I tried to jump it and nothing, battery was old. So I replaced it with a new battery and it fired right up! The only problem is, the head unit (radio) is completely dead; I mean no power or anything, just dead! It worked flawlessly before the battery died and now it seems like no power to the unit.

I checked both radio fuses under the dash and under the hood and they're fine. I pulled the unit out and checked some of the wires coming it with my test light to see if there was power. I got straight power (no key) on a small red wire in one of the smaller plugs but the big red wire in the plug (I assume it's power because it looks like it but I don't have a wiring diagram) has nothing coming in, key switched on or not.

What am I missing? Is there some other type of fuse I should be looking for? Is there a anti-theft code or something to put in or a way to reset it? It's making me crazy because like I mentioned, it worked PERFECT prior to the battery issue.

Please help! Much appreciated...
Old 07-29-09, 08:05 AM
Greek
Driver School Candidate

24 views and no replies huh? I guess I'll ask the stealership because it's making me crazy...
Old 07-02-12, 03:27 PM
Smallworld
Driver School Candidate

Default Radio Dead after Battery Replacement?

Did you ever figure out what happened to your radio? I have the same facts and can't figure it out either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-02-12, 05:25 PM
RA010623
Pit Crew

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...dio-issue.html
Old 07-04-12, 08:14 AM
Yamae
Forum Moderator

Received 898 Likes on 679 Posts

Inductive load generates a spike / surge when the current is stopped. The spike /surge sometimes reaches more than 30V and may kill electronics components designed to work for 12V or just a little higher. We have to be careful to do a jumping start when the battery is dead open. Like the spark energy of thousands volt is obtained from12V by an ignition coil, something similar is happening between car's inductive loads (such as motors, solenoids, filters and etc) and the generator or the external supply like a jumping start. This problem occurs when a battery is disconnected while the engine is running or a jumping start is done with the battery is dead open and the cables are disconnected. Many mechanics and most of car owners are not familiar to this but this is a very important issue you have to know. You can find more at below.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/t986..._vehicles.html

Google using keywords like jump start, surge, kill, and you will find many that explains this symptom.
Old 07-07-12, 01:37 AM
nitotapia
Driver School Candidate

Hi Greek. Hey there is a code just like in the Chevrolet some of the owners write them down on the owners manual, and some do not even have an owners manual. When this happens you have to go to the dealer with the VIN code and get the code to reset the radio. It is like a anti-theft thing that LEXUS made for the stereos just in case they were stolen. The dealer should provide you with the correct code you would want to call them ahead of time and check what you need to take to the dealer or just take the car with you.