LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

*94 ls400 * kick down problem, won't accelerate...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-09, 06:41 AM
loperman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question *94 ls400 * kick down problem, won't accelerate...

Hi Everyone!
I'm just got my 1994 Lexus LS with 63k and I Love it!
But it's have a few problems! If you drive it like an "old man" it will speed up ok with no problem! Main problem comes when you step on it a little harder! it just wouldn't go nowhere! But if I continue pushing it slowly again it will drive like nothing's wrong!!! Is anybody had the same problem before! I have searched the whole forum for the simular issues and found only one https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...razy-help.html with situation like mine! But the guy never finished the thred with how he resolved it! So I start the new one! Please! Any help welcome!!! Thank you everybody!
Old 06-26-09, 06:05 PM
loperman
Driver School Candidate

I also have "check engine" light on. Tryed to scan it with mechanic but no result, my guess right now that ECU is bad. Going to send it this weekend to rebuild it. Will write the result here!
Old 06-26-09, 06:35 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by loperman
I also have "check engine" light on. Tryed to scan it with mechanic but no result, my guess right now that ECU is bad. Going to send it this weekend to rebuild it. Will write the result here!
I'd check the air filter, clean the MAF sensor with a can of MAF sensor cleaner and disconnect the battery for 5 minutes to reset the ECU. Car will probably run like cr*p for five or ten minutes when you start it back up, then smooth out.

Congratulations on finding such a low mileage 94LS.
Old 06-26-09, 10:34 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

oh wow i have the exact same problem. Too bad i never figured out how to fix it. Now my tranny is messedup. And believe me I have been to like 6 mechs and no one could figure it out. Even my friends that are mechs that took time to actually check everything. Not to mention the dealership and the independent lexus mech shop.

sigh i kinda hate my ls
Old 06-26-09, 10:45 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

maybe u need a tranny flush...mine does this too, it'll rev high but not go anywhere then when i let go of the accel, and apply it again it'll take off. i need to do it this week.
Old 06-27-09, 07:10 AM
loperman
Driver School Candidate

Thank you everyone!

To JimsGX:
I changed the air filter yesterday and it started to run a little better! But the problem still out there! What did you try to do to fix it?

To LiCelsior:
Are You going to use that Seafoam to flush the tranny?

To j stuff:
Feel bad for you and partly sucks for myself about no easy way out of this trouble! But hopefully we will get there!!! Did you say you tryed the dealer to look at it?

I'm in love with the car! Will try to fix it step by step ether way!!!
Old 06-27-09, 07:37 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

no not seafoam..this http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/trans...ransflush.html
Old 06-27-09, 11:44 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by loperman
Thank you everyone!

To JimsGX:
I changed the air filter yesterday and it started to run a little better! But the problem still out there! What did you try to do to fix it?
The MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) is right past the filter on the way to the air intake manifold. It has an electrical connector going to it. Just unplug the connector, undo the hose clamp on its aluminum housing and take the unit out. Don't touch the fine metal grid that you see. Thats what you want to clean. You can buy a can of the special cleaner for it at Autozone for like $6.99 called MAF cleaner. Even if it doesn't look dirty, you still need to clean it from both sides. Let it air dry for a half hour before putting it back in the car. Also disconnect the battery for five minutes and reconnect before starting the car to reset the ECM/ECU. You'll probably gain about 10hp afterwards as well.
Old 06-27-09, 09:45 PM
loperman
Driver School Candidate

Yeah! I recently looked at it! It realy didn't look like it's dirty but i will clean it any way next time i go around! I talked to some tech guys today about my problem and it probably comes to a tranny problem! It looks like ether ECU or something wrong with the transmition. I went down and looked under my ls while i was changing my engine oil today and found some oil around tranny! I add some picture of it. Any way i'm already sending my ECU for rebuilding tomorrow so will see if thst's what iti is! If not i'm gona find some cheaper way than dealer price!!!

Originally Posted by JimsGX
The MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) is right past the filter on the way to the air intake manifold. It has an electrical connector going to it. Just unplug the connector, undo the hose clamp on its aluminum housing and take the unit out. Don't touch the fine metal grid that you see. Thats what you want to clean. You can buy a can of the special cleaner for it at Autozone for like $6.99 called MAF cleaner. Even if it doesn't look dirty, you still need to clean it from both sides. Let it air dry for a half hour before putting it back in the car. Also disconnect the battery for five minutes and reconnect before starting the car to reset the ECM/ECU. You'll probably gain about 10hp afterwards as well.
Attached Thumbnails *94 ls400 * kick down problem, won't accelerate...-dsc01520.jpg   *94 ls400 * kick down problem, won't accelerate...-dsc01522.jpg  

Last edited by loperman; 06-27-09 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-27-09, 11:45 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

looks like the rear main seal.
Old 06-28-09, 12:28 AM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
maybe u need a tranny flush...mine does this too, it'll rev high but not go anywhere then when i let go of the accel, and apply it again it'll take off. i need to do it this week.
Old 06-28-09, 08:13 AM
loperman
Driver School Candidate

When I was checking the oil level in transmition there was some tiny pices of plastic or ceramics on the very end of dipstick! I guess it is not a good news...