LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Is there a LSD for the first gen

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-08, 07:18 PM
LS400life
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Is there a LSD for the first gen

Is there a LSD that is is made for our cars or is there one that we can swap into our rear diff housings? Possibly supra guts?
Old 09-04-08, 07:38 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by LS400life
Is there a LSD that is is made for our cars or is there one that we can swap into our rear diff housings? Possibly supra guts?
please search.

no.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 09-04-08 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-04-08, 08:21 PM
LS400life
Driver School Candidate

Obviously you don't know what your talking about. I know that the only Lexus that came with a factory LSD was the IS. Thats not what I was asking, I'm not talking about factory I'm talking about aftermarket and custom swaps. And Can we please get this information in a main thread so we don't have to search all over the internet for it. It's my understanding you can use a MKIV supra LSD. I want the information from someone who has done it in a LS400, not an SC or GS.
Old 09-04-08, 08:23 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if u searched, u woulda found that a 1LS(?) was able to swap in a supra pumpkin with modifications, and a 2JZGTE is possible, just ask retrodrive.
Old 09-04-08, 08:50 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Obviously you don't know what your talking about. I know that the only Lexus that came with a factory LSD was the IS. Thats not what I was asking, I'm not talking about factory I'm talking about aftermarket and custom swaps. And Can we please get this information in a main thread so we don't have to search all over the internet for it. It's my understanding you can use a MKIV supra LSD. I want the information from someone who has done it in a LS400, not an SC or GS.
lose the attitude.
you asked for a bolt in, either whole pumpkin, or swapping the internals.
the short answer to that, is NO.

the 1LS uses completely different mounting structure to all other toyota/lexus models, the internals might be possible, but not without modifications.

you want all the information in one thread for your convenience?
look it all up and post one up.
Old 09-04-08, 10:34 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
please search.

no.
Obviously you don't know what your talking about. .
So was your initial post a trick question of some sort? Or were you testing us?

As a suggestion, when someone answers a question you ask, i dont think its a great idea to start off telling them they don't know what they are talking about. Because if you knew the answer, you wouldn't have asked. So how did you conclude he doest know anything? Especially when its someone with two LS's and a recently totaled one and over 10K posts.

Also, when we say search, we mean search WITHIN the LS forum. Not the entire Internet.
Old 11-13-08, 08:39 PM
1HRDLXS
Driver School Candidate

WOAH WOAH WOAH wait a minute here back the truck up a second there kiddies. you can take a rear end from a super coupe and install it ok?? case closedddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
Old 11-14-08, 03:52 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by 1HRDLXS
WOAH WOAH WOAH wait a minute here back the truck up a second there kiddies. you can take a rear end from a super coupe and install it ok?? case closedddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
proof or it's worthless

i see no need to bring this thread back unless you can actually back up your claim.
Old 11-14-08, 06:09 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Last time I searched, especially from someone who attempted to do this, you CANNOT just bolt it right up; will not line up correctly. Just like you cannot use the TT brakes on the rear end of the 1LS, but you can do it up front. It may be compatible, but as PD and some others have stated, it is not a simple bolt up job. MAJOR modification will be required to do so.
Old 11-14-08, 03:41 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

Guys chill out !!
The Torsen diff centre out of a 94 to 97 Supra will go into the LS housing , bolts straight in , also some Soarers came factory with a Torsen LSD , these centres will also bolt into the LS housing , if in doubt have a look at Soarer Central .
http://soarercentral.com/cgi-bin/sc-....cgi?pg=topics
Old 11-14-08, 08:00 PM
Rocan
Pole Position

whats the advantage anyway?
Old 11-14-08, 08:14 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

no more one wheel wonder burnouts, easier to drift and.....better launch? i dunno lol.
Old 11-14-08, 09:49 PM
Rocan
Pole Position

hmmm... good points... but isnt it overkill for the ls400? i mean.. who is drifting these things?
Old 11-14-08, 10:44 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by richonenz
Guys chill out !!
The Torsen diff centre out of a 94 to 97 Supra will go into the LS housing , bolts straight in , also some Soarers came factory with a Torsen LSD , these centres will also bolt into the LS housing , if in doubt have a look at Soarer Central .
My point exactly rich. The components may bolt up inside of the housing, but trying to tear down the factory housing in order to gut it is a real wonder. I had a hard enuff time just chasnging my diff when my original locked up earlier this year. Trying to crack one of these open is no easy task. The point that most of us were trying to make is you just cant drop one out of a supra and then just bolt it right up to the LS. There is gonna be some work involved, as you have listed.
Old 11-14-08, 11:56 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by richonenz
Guys chill out !!
the claim the member was trying to make was that you could replace the whole housing. obviously changing the internals is always an option, it's relatively common knowledge that the internals from many lexus rear ends can be interchanged, LS, GS, SC and to some degree IS. not all of them are 100% interchangeable obviously but there is quite a bit possible for internals.