LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

98 LS 400 OEM Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-08, 05:03 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 98LSfromNJ
Pure i respect your knowledge and I have not read all of your 9000 posts but that has got to be some of worst advice (if it is serious) i have ever read......there is HID units on Ebay right now for parts only that have a hairline crack for $25, if i have a friend who installs that would chip away more from the cost.
My point being there is about a thousand different scenarios that could make it cheaper then a grand and i certainly would not have to sell my LS.

Again i respect your knowledge and i might honestly be missing something so help me out...
if you dont want to read all my posts at least read what i've put in this thread please

i said 1-2grand for the FULLY FUNCTION OEM HID system.

the hid headlights alone, are not enough to make it work. you need numerous sensors and several computers, which are NOT cheap from lexus. the MINIMUM cost for good used parts for everything is approximately $1200 NOT including install and wiring it yourself. the market price for the headlights alone, fully functioning, is approx. $400-600/pair. if you want to tr it with a set of damaged headlights alone, goodluck
Old 05-21-08, 06:33 PM
atoyot
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why can't you retrofit a HID bulb into the OEM housing, then rewire the harness into the existing wiring?

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...eadlights.html

could you use a wiring harness like these: http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/harness_main.htm

and then buy John Deere HID bulbs to put in the stock housing?
Old 05-21-08, 07:47 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by atoyot
Why can't you retrofit a HID bulb into the OEM housing, then rewire the harness into the existing wiring?

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...eadlights.html

could you use a wiring harness like these: http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/harness_main.htm

and then buy John Deere HID bulbs to put in the stock housing?
you can very easily just buy and install an aftermarket conversion kit, like the ones from XenonDepot, but the OP was specifically asking about an OEM conversion.
Old 05-21-08, 10:33 PM
DIY LS400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
there IS a design difference, but it wont be much of an improvement over a properly made (positioned) hid kid.
Yea I know there's a design difference, I didn't realize how good the stock halogens/how bad the stock HIDs are.

Pure, stop trying to beat a dead horse. We get the point you're trying to say that you need EVERYTHING to make the OEM system work how it's supposed. You really need to change your attitude IMO from looking at most of your responses on here.

98LSfromNJ, if you want the best you can get for your money, I would look into projector retrofits. If not, I personally think that OEM HID headlights would be fine without the leveling system as long as you level them correctly when you install them.
Old 05-21-08, 11:56 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by DIY LS400
Yea I know there's a design difference, I didn't realize how good the stock halogens/how bad the stock HIDs are.

Pure, stop trying to beat a dead horse. We get the point you're trying to say that you need EVERYTHING to make the OEM system work how it's supposed. You really need to change your attitude IMO from looking at most of your responses on here.

98LSfromNJ, if you want the best you can get for your money, I would look into projector retrofits. If not, I personally think that OEM HID headlights would be fine without the leveling system as long as you level them correctly when you install them.
and what attitude, exactly, is that?

your opinion differs from mine, and therefore i have an attitude? IF you ask me the same questions you're going to get the same answers....

go and crack open an OEM hid headlight, last i checked there was nothing there to physically LOCK the swiveling headlight bowl into place, the motor manages it. when there is no power going to the motor, it isnt going to be STIFF, it will release.
Old 05-22-08, 04:08 AM
98LSfromNJ
Driver

You really need to change your attitude IMO from looking at most of your responses on here

Pure I don't think you have an attitude, I think your info is pretty much right on point, except where I noted earlier. I needed specific info which is what I was looking for so thanks very much.

Still looking for info on installing Bluetooth handsfree, I know that is not OEM but NJ has a law now so I am stuck plus I like bluetooth.

thanks again
k
Old 05-22-08, 06:36 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I LOVE this forum!! =D

Oh and it would be hella cheaper just to do aftermarket. I have the OEM HIDs and they look cool, but you could get a deeper blue to make them look a bit newer as the OEM is only 4300K-6000K.
Old 05-22-08, 07:34 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Still looking for info on installing Bluetooth handsfree, I know that is not OEM but NJ has a law now so I am stuck plus I like bluetooth.
k
Installing a Bluetooth kit should be a snap in a LS400 - especially if you don't want a charging cradle or an external antenna connection. You can connect the kit's power wire to the underdash fusebox with a piggyback fuse (available at parts stores), the ground wire to a bolt under the dash and the kit's mute wire to the center front pin in the six pin phone connector on the driver's side under the vent you can see when you raise the center armrest.

If there is a separate microphone, the wire for it can run up the driver's side windshield pillar -- plenty of room to press it into place without having to remove the trim. My mic is attached with double sided tape to the left of the garage door opener buttons.

Where you mount the controller for a Bluetooth kit would depend on the size/design of the controller. If I was installing a kit such as a Motorola IHF1000 Bluetooth kit that has a small controller, I would probably use double sided tape to put the controller just to the right of the VSC button so it would blend in and I wouldn't have to pop out the radio.

Here is a link to a old doc on how I installed a non-Bluetooth kit in my 00 LS: http://home.kc.rr.com/colchester/pho...%20install.doc

Whether Bluetooth or the old style phone kit, the principles are the same.
Old 05-22-08, 08:17 AM
heyhowyado
Pole Position

dude, you just have to get used to how he posts.....he's no nonsense.

to be honest, i thought the same thing about him at first, but that's just his style.

he's cool.......he's like a freakin Lexus encyclopedia.
Old 05-22-08, 11:01 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Cool

You really need to change your attitude IMO from looking at most of your responses on here

Pure I don't think you have an attitude, I think your info is pretty much right on point, except where I noted earlier. I needed specific info which is what I was looking for so thanks very much.
huh i need to change something i don't have?

if you want to keep the OEM stereo motorola makes something similar to what you want, i think tjw posted it already

Last edited by PureDrifter; 05-22-08 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-22-08, 03:11 PM
DIY LS400
Rookie

No it's not because our opinions differ, it's the way you talk to people on the forums and the wording you use.
Old 05-22-08, 05:31 PM
98LSfromNJ
Driver

I think these type of forums are invaluable because of people like Pure. Very knowledgable people who share that knowledge with whomever wants it.
I am not at all interested in aftermarket for my 400 except for bluetooth. I will go without before I will go aftermarket.

Thanks for all your help, Kansas, Pure, DIY, Jas and so and so on
Old 06-04-08, 06:53 PM
leavehard
Rookie

No it's not because our opinions differ, it's the way you talk to people on the forums and the wording you use.
Too many syllables for ya ? LOL

He's been more help to ijits like me than anyone I can think of....