LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS1 HID Conversion cutoff lines

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-08, 04:58 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

The bulbs I have are Hi/Lo but as far as i've seen, the high beems on those are always pretty bad.

They still work fine but they're pretty dim like they always were.
Old 03-03-08, 05:07 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The high beam on my HID conversion is so bad, i even regret getting it in the first place, i should've just gone with single beam. The high beam with these is so useless and dim, its not even funny.
Old 03-03-08, 05:19 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

OCH any pics of ur car? mightve seen ur car around NY.
Old 03-03-08, 07:32 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

WHat about those dual bulb kits I've seen? The high beam bulb is a regular halogen? IS that what you guys have?
Old 03-03-08, 08:18 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

That's what I have as can be seen in the shot taken from below the bulb.
Old 03-03-08, 09:14 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Suneet
WHat about those dual bulb kits I've seen? The high beam bulb is a regular halogen? IS that what you guys have?
yea, most dual xenon kits are worthless, with HID you rarely use the high beams anyways
Old 03-04-08, 12:24 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
yea, most dual xenon kits are worthless, with HID you rarely use the high beams anyways
Not if you live out here in Seattle where you often find yourself driving straight up in the boonies... high beams are important.
Old 03-04-08, 01:45 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

no, i mean that the hid brightness is much brighter than the high beams, just aim the headlights a touch higher?
Old 03-04-08, 03:09 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suneet
Not if you live out here in Seattle where you often find yourself driving straight up in the boonies... high beams are important.
Don't worry. With a PnP HID kit, your highbeams will be on constantly.

Good luck with the cutoff. It won't ever be good enough though, no matter how hard you try. Also try blacking out the shields, so that the light won't be reflected as much. You want as little as possible reflection...the fluted lenses don't help either. If you could somehow get the JDM headlights, and the super rare clear covers, then a retro fit would be the best way to go.

I have seen on HIDplanet a couple people who have retro'd in projectors behind the fluted lenses. It was not TOO bad of a cutoff line, definitely better than what you have right now.
Old 03-04-08, 08:54 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Caoboy
Don't worry. With a PnP HID kit, your highbeams will be on constantly.

Good luck with the cutoff. It won't ever be good enough though, no matter how hard you try. Also try blacking out the shields, so that the light won't be reflected as much. You want as little as possible reflection...the fluted lenses don't help either. If you could somehow get the JDM headlights, and the super rare clear covers, then a retro fit would be the best way to go.

I have seen on HIDplanet a couple people who have retro'd in projectors behind the fluted lenses. It was not TOO bad of a cutoff line, definitely better than what you have right now.
the JDM clear lenses were made by HilTop and never really came out great esp. when the price was in the $500+range.

since the 93-94 and JDM models used H4 bulbs, wouldnt a casper shield be fine?
Old 03-04-08, 01:27 PM
Ross LS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an Otto H4 HID kit fitted to my '96 LS400. Cutoff is great and high beam is excellent. It works in a totally different way to most H4 kits I've seen.

The bulbs have sliding shrouds and there is an electro-magnet on the rear of the bulb holders. When you flick to high beam, the magnets reverse polarity and slide the shrouds back causing the whole beam pattern to raise to a higher level. Its very effective, definitely the best system I've come across.
Old 03-04-08, 04:31 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ross LS400
I have an Otto H4 HID kit fitted to my '96 LS400. Cutoff is great and high beam is excellent. It works in a totally different way to most H4 kits I've seen.

The bulbs have sliding shrouds and there is an electro-magnet on the rear of the bulb holders. When you flick to high beam, the magnets reverse polarity and slide the shrouds back causing the whole beam pattern to raise to a higher level. Its very effective, definitely the best system I've come across.
Those bulbs work great because when they are in low beam mode the bulb is actually properly shielded.

Those ones work like this...

Old 03-04-08, 09:18 PM
nosechunks
Rookie

So why dont people use these in our cars? Im guessing they dont make a 9006 style?

Seems like it would work, would it not?
Old 03-04-08, 09:37 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by nosechunks
So why dont people use these in our cars? Im guessing they dont make a 9006 style?

Seems like it would work, would it not?
huh? why would u need dual xenon on a 9006 setup? and 'sides, your 94 uses H4 headlights, not 9006.
Old 03-05-08, 08:07 AM
Ross LS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dfkd
Those bulbs work great because when they are in low beam mode the bulb is actually properly shielded.
dfkd,

Yes, they are very similar to the ones I have. Definitely the best headlamps I've had in any of my cars. The other plus with these ones is that they work using a relay harness taking power direct from the battery and switching authority from one of the original headlamp harnesses, the other original headlamp harness remains unplugged. That way, the power to the ballasts is not momentarily interrupted by the original headlamp relay when you switch to high beam. This should extend the life of the ballasts and bulbs quite considerably.

Last edited by Ross LS400; 03-05-08 at 08:11 AM.

Quick Reply: LS1 HID Conversion cutoff lines