LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

need help with aftermarket HU install

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-07, 02:33 PM
tfolks206
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with aftermarket HU install

Hey everyone

i have a 1995 LS400 and i want to put an aftermarket headunit in it. Problem is that i dont know where to take apart the dash so that i can get the stock headunit out. Anyone have pictures or a diagram that you could show me?

any help would be great

thanks

and also besides getting the dash kit, what else do i need?
Old 02-01-07, 06:07 PM
Brian Zado
Driver School Candidate

you need to take of the trim around the shifter. You need to take the vents above the climate control out. There are two scerws behind vents, and two screws under when you take the trim around shifter. the climate control and radio come out as one. As far as the wiring goes it depends on which factory system you have. I had the nakamichi system and I had to wire RCA ends onto the speaker inputs to the amp. From there I found my power, ground and turn on wires.
Old 02-10-07, 08:06 AM
tfolks206
Driver School Candidate

hey

So does anyone have pictures of how they ran the extended wires to go from the nakamichi amp to the aftermarket head unit? I was thinking of going underneath the carpet and long the sides of the doors. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Old 02-10-07, 10:44 AM
phy
Driver

The nakamichi Amp is under the passanger seat fyi. Like Brain Zado said u have to take the trim around the shifter. Which can be done with a flathead screwdriver. But first u have to move the shifter into Nutral or something so it doesnt get in the way when u try to lift the trim.

I can't help u on the input on the nakamichi. I did a full replacement (Head unit, speakers, speaker amp, subs, sub amp.) But a dash kit will probably be all u'll be able to find. With Pioneer systems they make a harness u can just plug in. But they dont have one for the nakamichi.

I might take apart my dash again later today cuse I have to reground my head unit. I'll see if i can take some pics of how its done. My car is a 96 so about the same.
Old 02-10-07, 12:11 PM
tfolks206
Driver School Candidate

yeah i know how to take all that off and i got the dash kit that fits the LS400 but all im wondering is how to wire it from the wiring harness to the head unit. I talked to a person on crutchfield and they said that the harness they gave me is going to plug into the nakamichi amp then you need to extend the wires from the amp to the HU using positive speaker wire.
Old 02-10-07, 02:41 PM
anotherLS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would like some pics also...like if you use the standard 87-up wiring harness..do you lose the stock sub? pics please! thanks
Old 02-10-07, 07:38 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

tell me what outputs you have fromt he headunit and i can tell you what to cut.
Old 02-10-07, 07:45 PM
tfolks206
Driver School Candidate

ok this is weird. So i just want to install an aftermarket headunit. Thats it! nothing else, i dont want to bypass my nakamichi amp. so i talk to crutchfield.com the other day and they tell me to buy this wiring harness from them that will plug into the amp and i would have to extend wires from the amp to my HU. But then i go to circuit city today and tell him that and he said no if you want to do what your doing all you need to do is get a wiring harness that goes behind your HU. He gave me the wrong harness but i am going back tomorrow and see what will fit before i leave
Old 02-10-07, 07:46 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by tfolks206
ok this is weird. So i just want to install an aftermarket headunit. Thats it! nothing else, i dont want to bypass my nakamichi amp. so i talk to crutchfield.com the other day and they tell me to buy this wiring harness from them that will plug into the amp and i would have to extend wires from the amp to my HU. But then i go to circuit city today and tell him that and he said no if you want to do what your doing all you need to do is get a wiring harness that goes behind your HU. He gave me the wrong harness but i am going back tomorrow and see what will fit before i leave
still waiting....

juss need to know what the outputs on your HU are and to make sure that it can give a preamp signal.

can you at least post which HU ur planning on using?
Old 02-10-07, 07:51 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

and just to make sure, you realize that the tutorial for the 1LS will mostly work for yours too right.....

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/audio/headunit.html

Last edited by PureDrifter; 02-10-07 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-10-07, 08:30 PM
phy
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
and just to make sure, you realize that the tutorial for the 1LS will mostly work for yours too right.....

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/audio/headunit.html
I think he had the Pioneer head unit. From what I understand there is no harness to work with the Nakamichi, it has to be all hand wired. Sorry I wasn't able to get pictures today. I've had to take a trip i really didnt want to take.

And yes I've been thro all the crutchfield and soundomain, CC and BB. The harness's are all made for the pioneer.
Old 02-10-07, 09:05 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This would be pricey, but would it be possible to put the 98-00 OEM headunit in? Youd just have NAVi though.
Old 02-10-07, 09:17 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by phy
I think he had the Pioneer head unit. From what I understand there is no harness to work with the Nakamichi, it has to be all hand wired. Sorry I wasn't able to get pictures today. I've had to take a trip i really didnt want to take.

And yes I've been thro all the crutchfield and soundomain, CC and BB. The harness's are all made for the pioneer.
i could prolly guide you as to which wires to cut IF YOU TOLD ME WHAT HEADUNIT YOU WANTED TO RUN :P
Old 02-10-07, 11:32 PM
tfolks206
Driver School Candidate

I want to run the Clarion VRX765VD
Old 02-11-07, 12:06 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

are you running the clarion 5.1ch surround sound amp?

Quick Reply: need help with aftermarket HU install