LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

90-94 LS400 EGR Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-06, 09:29 PM
crazimofo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90-94 LS400 EGR Pipe

Best place to buy/purchase the famous EGR pipe for the ls400?

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.
Thank you very much..

Anyone had this replaced due to being cracked? easiest way to do so? tutorials on it? any advice? anyone do an EGR DELETE?

tried doing some searches..subject doesnt have a clear answer to it.

But would like to know where to purchase one? dealer item?
Post it up here fellow LS owners...
Old 09-06-06, 09:44 PM
crazimofo
Driver

would a failure of the EGR PIPE have an affect on the CATALYTIC CONVERTERS..

problem is car runs fine for about 30mins with everything in working order..a/c on a/c off.
car had full tune-up water pump, all belts, new alternator, plugs, wires, caps, rotors, optima battery, new oem MAF, new coils, about 15,000 miles ago car got 108,000 ..nothing done to exhaust system.
After coming off highway driving fine all the way, for about 30min+ with no problems, approaching a stop the cars idle drops to about 500 rpms..then when I push on the gas pedal nothing happens...start to push on it rapidly still nothing, then all of a sudden it gases and I burn out and car begins to pick up for a little bit..Then same thing happens no pedal response..push on it rapidly then it catches one time and the car burns out...
Let the car cool off for about 30-60min then drive the car around like it had no problems..then it repeats it all over...
runs good cool, runs bad hot...

seems to happen when car is at idle and running for a while...
smell catatlytic converter, funky smell. never changed O2 sensors..

has what it seems to be a restricted exhaust symptom? clogged cats? bad/faulty O2 sensors? EGR PIPE cracked? bad EGR VALVE? bad ECU? trans problem? shifts fine never had problems...
transmission little dark but replaced about 15k ago, going to do ASAP regardless + Differental Fluid.

no codes...never comes on even when driving...
TE1 E1 brought up a constant flashing check engine light and a constant flashing O/D light..does this mean normal?

please help me out...thanks..any feedback will be appreciated.

Last edited by crazimofo; 09-07-06 at 09:40 AM. Reason: add
Old 09-08-06, 09:23 PM
crazimofo
Driver

nobody...?
Old 09-09-06, 02:18 PM
biglexass
Lead Lap

iam no expert but it sound like your cats may have hair ***** in them if you know what i mean.a cracked egr would not effect to the point of your problem.what does it smell like.a bad cat should smell like rotton eggs,and had a very distinct smell to it.(you will no)when was the late time you had the diff fluid changed and spark plugs,wires,cap and rotor,etc....is there any back fireing.any spittering spuddering something of that sort.
Old 09-09-06, 02:38 PM
crazimofo
Driver

thanks biglexass for the response!

smells exactly like rotten eggs...fell a lot of heat that is coming off the cats..
all plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc.. changed less than 15k ago..diff changed trans changed yesterday.

no back firing..spuddering..

hear a minor sounding exhaut leak, narrowed it to the rear of the engine..guessing that is the crack in the egr...
would a bad egr pipe result in a more rich condition and over time cause the cats to go bad, then resulting in bad O2 sensors?

no O2 sensor or EGR codes...no check engine lights...IDK
clogged y-pipe? <--ever heard of that going bad?
Old 09-10-06, 03:58 PM
skytrain4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by crazimofo
After coming off highway driving fine all the way, for about 30min+ with no problems, approaching a stop the cars idle drops to about 500 rpms..then when I push on the gas pedal nothing happens...start to push on it rapidly still nothing, then all of a sudden it gases and I burn out and car begins to pick up for a little bit..Then same thing happens no pedal response..push on it rapidly then it catches one time and the car burns out...
Let the car cool off for about 30-60min then drive the car around like it had no problems..then it repeats it all over...
runs good cool, runs bad hot...

seems to happen when car is at idle and running for a while...
smell catatlytic converter, funky smell.
I had the same symptoms this summer. Based on your description of your problem, it sounds like one of your ignition coils is going bad. It will work intermittantly before it takes a permanent vacation. The funky cat smell is raw fuel getting dumped through your cylinders and then igniting when it hits your hot cats. I replaced both ignition coils and my car ran perfect after. They are $40 each at Autozone, NAPA, etc, or $125 each at Lexus.
Old 09-13-06, 08:42 AM
gripitdoes
Driver School Candidate

your cats are starting to get clogged up. sulfer smell and dead on power when they are hot = catalytic converters
Old 09-15-06, 08:09 PM
crazimofo
Driver

anybody?..