LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

HELPPower Steering Stiff leaking around rack

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-06, 06:37 PM
djr73999
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HELPPower Steering Stiff leaking around rack

I have a 95LS400 that started to have very stiff steering. I remember the steering to be pretty smooth when turned but now it seems like I have to apply more force to get the steering wheel turned. It feels like I am running on flat tires, . I also thought the power steering oil was low and topped that off and still have the same problem. The power steering pump looks clean outside and does not whine unlike few of the older generation LS that had problems with the power steering pump leaking. Have any of you guys experienced this problem. What do you think is the cause of this stiff steering, also I have had the steering pump changed once already, It's not leaking around the pump, It's leaking on the shroud undernearth the car on the opposite side of the pump, what could this be? how could I tell if the rack is bad?

dj
Old 01-31-06, 07:32 PM
up675
Driver School Candidate

what are u topping it off with I hope you are using dexron 3 tranny fluid and not powersteering fluid if u been using regular power steering fluid then thats a problem and power steering fluid just dont go away so if u are topping it off then its going some where do u see white smoke comingout of the exhaust and do u see any on the ground if not check the vaccum valve under the power steering pump if u see any white smoke out of the exhaust then it is sure to be that valve need help contact me i will walk u through it
Old 02-01-06, 01:37 PM
djr73999
Driver School Candidate

Hello up's,

Yes I use dexron atf III fluid, I dont see any white smoke coming out the tailpipe, now I do see
oil or atf fluid on the ground, not by the power steering pump but on the opposite of the pump(by the battery side)
would that be where the rack is located? steering is how to turn, not leaking around the pump at all upper or lower hose not leaking, what should I check next? open to all suggestions before I take to the dealer.

dj