Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

"Super White" Halogens for 2nd Generation GS

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-10, 08:47 AM
Enigmatic
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Super White" Halogens for 2nd Generation GS

I've been driving a 2000 GS300 around for a while now and I'm thinking about upgrading all of the front end lights on it.

I've been doing a lot of research on HID kits and reflector upgrades and it all seems very pricey to me. I recently came across the idea of putting "super white" halogens in for replacements, as I've been told that they work just as well as some of the HID kits do. That bit of information was taken with a grain of salt only because it seems hard to believe that for fractions of the price I could achieve a lighting system that functions just as well as one with an HID kit. I know certainly that for a lesser price they won't work as well but I'm still looking to upgrade to something better than my standard halogens. Therefore I'm here because I'd like some more input on them if anyone has some to offer.

I know that the fogs/headlights run at 9005/9006 but I'm also curious about the running lights. Are those 9005 as well? If I could replace every light on the front end that would be great. Furthermore, is there any brand I can trust the best?

Thank you for any input!
Old 12-01-10, 09:57 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi,

Performance halogen bulbs will be a cosmetic upgrade. In some cases, they will actually provide you with less actual useable light output than your stock halogen bulbs as the "super white" bulbs typically have a coating on them.

If you are looking to get a bulb that will offer you a "whiter/cooler" output than your stock halogens, I would suggest looking at the Putco Mirror white halogen bulbs. I personally like these bulbs as they have a unique "chrome" finish to them that unlike "blue coated" bulbs will not reflect "blue" in the housing.

Parking Lights - Many forum members upgrade these lights with our Putco 194 LED bulbs. Thanks to CL member Alex350, we now have pictures of the ALL NEW High Power 194 LED bulb installed in an IS35) Parking Lights:

Putco uses high power Nichia LED diodes for this 194 LED bulb and the bulbs are assembled right in the USA! Putco rates these bulbs to be 18X brighter than your stock 194 bulbs.

Hope this helps,

Steve
Old 12-01-10, 11:18 AM
Enigmatic
Driver

Ah, thank you for the response Steve. A few questions just for clarification if I might ask.

That 194 LED Putco light, if I buy that one it will be compatible with my GS? There isn't a specific part number for it that must be accommodated by my car?

Furthermore, have you bought any lights off of the kbcarstuff website? Is it accommodating with returns and customer service etc.?
Old 12-01-10, 01:12 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Enigmatic
Ah, thank you for the response Steve. A few questions just for clarification if I might ask.

That 194 LED Putco light, if I buy that one it will be compatible with my GS? There isn't a specific part number for it that must be accommodated by my car?

Furthermore, have you bought any lights off of the kbcarstuff website? Is it accommodating with returns and customer service etc.?

Steve is KB carstuff and have no fear of ordering from him! excellent customer service and good quality stuff
Old 12-01-10, 04:06 PM
Enigmatic
Driver

Ok, thank you for the input.

You've ordered from him before I assume?
Old 12-01-10, 10:47 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I get everything from Steve! HID kits both Low bean and Fogs, and tons of LED's for my GX--you cannot go wrong!
Old 12-02-10, 12:44 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Enigmatic - The GS uses the same parking bulb as the IS so the bulbs featured above will definitely work.

We have been a supporting vendor on this board for almost 7 years now so we definitely take care of the members :-)

Steve
Old 12-13-10, 12:29 PM
gdcheng
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve, I have a 2006 IS250 and want some upgrades to my stock halogens for high and low beams without going HID. By the looks of your website, the Putco Mirror white halogen bulbs look sort of yellowish. I think i want something more white, even with a hint of blue without being ricey. What would you suggest? Also, how much brighter are these than stock? What kind of warantee do these have?
Old 12-13-10, 01:31 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Hey Bud,

No aftermarket halogen bulb is going to be brighter than your stock halogen bulbs. These bulbs would be more of a cosmetic upgrade than a functional one. If you want "brighter," I would go with an HID kit for the low beams.

Steve
Old 12-13-10, 01:44 PM
gdcheng
Driver

Maybe I don't need brighter............. So back to color, what is the whitest that you have. I don't want yellow, or purple. And the next question is for my car, what bulbs do I need to get? (H11) for low beams and (9005) for high beams?
Geoff

Last edited by gdcheng; 12-13-10 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-13-10, 02:54 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Hey,

Definitely go for mirror white if that is the case.

Steve
Old 12-13-10, 02:56 PM
gdcheng
Driver

is there a blue hint with the mirror white? how do these compare to Sylvania Silverstars?
Old 12-13-10, 03:30 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

I prefer these as opposed to silverstars as they have a "Chrome" finish to them as opposed to a blue finish. I find that the blue finish ends up reflecting off the reflector housing which I personally hate.

Steve