Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

HID: bulbs or ballasts problem for IS250

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-13, 06:05 PM
sc4hunnit
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, make sure that the bulb indeed is a D4S bulb. The D2R's will work and then shut off.
Old 11-27-13, 04:48 AM
DKIS350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go figure. My passenger light went out yesterday, went to Napa who gave me a D2R, and of course i cant even get it to light up. Looks the same as what i took out. Off to napa i go to get my money back.
Old 02-04-14, 11:53 AM
LexVoitek
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How-to Repair Lexus HID Problems: The Video!

Hey guys I was reading this thread because I just went through this problem with my 06 GS300 with DS4 HID bulbs.

1.) I read that people are selling used D4S bulbs on Ebay at prices over what actual new bulbs sell for. I guess they are passing them off as new, and a lot of people have been scammed. If you want real Phillips OEM bulbs, buy it from a retail store that does a lot of business in bulb sales; NOT EBAY. This is eactly why someone on here bought 2 bulbs that were supposed to be new, but almost immediately they started to go off on him. Sounds like this person got picked off in the Ebay scam.

2.) I've had good luck my first time around buying from plasmagarge, they sent me EagleEye D4S bulbs that were 5000k series, super bright, and lasted for about 5 years. This time around I went back to Plasma garage but they sent me some no name crap, and I swear that it's not as bright as the EagleEye bulbs. I wrote to plasmagarge yesterday, we'll see if they turn out to be honorable or horrible.,

3.) I make how-to videos for a living (plus some websites) and I recorded the entire process of swapping out the HID bulbs on late model Lexus cars and trucks. The procedure will be fairly close for all Lexus vehicles, but I did use my 06 GS300 in the video.

Here's a link to the Headlight Replacement Video for both sides of the car. I used a Canon Rebel T3i to record the footage, so just switch the quality over to 1080p and watch it fullscreen.

PEACE!

Turns out that all Lexus cars and trucks experience intermittent problems with their HID headlights. For me my passenger headlight went out after the car warmed up. It would always turn back on, if I toggled the headlight switch from auto to off, and back to auto or just on.

I made a DIY Tutorial on how to fix the problem by simply swapping out your Lexus OEM or aftermarket D4S HID headlight bulbs, you don't have to change out the ballast. It sounds easy, but Lexus didn't make it too easy. That's why I recorded a video of the entire process on my YouTube channel.
(I have a whole collection of Lexus DIY Repair & Maintenance videos on my YouTube Channel "ProvenHelper")

Check it out:

Last edited by LexVoitek; 02-04-14 at 12:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LexNYC83 (05-03-19)
Old 02-12-14, 09:52 PM
Jonathan1
Driver School Candidate

Ive got the same issue on my 07 IS250. The left side has an intermitten problem of just shutting off whenever. And actually i have not had the issue over the past 2 days. I guess i can just pull them and check for hazing or abnormalties.
Old 02-18-14, 05:55 AM
sc4hunnit
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just get a a regular hid kit and convert it to d2r.
Old 06-27-15, 11:29 AM
fresh617
Driver School Candidate

im having this problem on my 09 is I took it to lexus and they quoted me 300 without even looking at it so...yeah lol wondering what path people took to correct this I was just thinking if I should get aftermarket to replace the oem but if I go down that path would I need to replace the ballest too or just bulb I was thinking about getting 6k top and bottom to match but if it would be safer to stick to oem I guess ill shell out the 300 eventually if I cant find a better solution
Old 12-26-18, 10:17 PM
mathewreed
Driver School Candidate

I think this is the most common problem with Lexus but you can’t change headlights all the time I used this product https://xenons4u.co.uk/denso-koito-d...-unit-ecu.html and although I have done this replacement couple of years ago still its working fine. Much recommended.