Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Questions on HID kit install on 2000 GS 300

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-04, 04:21 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Questions on HID kit install on 2000 GS 300

I just got the 6000K HID kit from kwimports for my 2000 GS 300. I am looking over how to install it and it seems straight forward except for a few questions.

1. The red wire that is supposed to connect to the positive terminal of the battery -- is that where everyone connects it to or is there another wire that it can be connected to that is closer to the headlights?

2. The connector (that has white and black wires going to it) that in the manual says is supposed to be connected to "power output for headlamp" -- I have supposed that this connects to something that switches the whole headlight system "on". Where exactly do I connect this to as I don't know where that connector is?

3. Since the HID bulbs have their own harnesses that connect to the ballasts, what do you guys do with the old stock harnesses? Mine run together with the other wires for the other bulbs and are all tied together. Do I just tuck the old harness away since I don't see why they would be needed after the HID kit is installed (and I don't see a way for them to be disconnected).

4. Are people putting the relays on the side that the battery is on (right side) in order to minimize the amount of cables going from one side of the car to the other? From what I see, everyting can go on the right side of the car except for the ballast for the left headlight.

Thanks for any input. I know there is a thread out there where someone actually made a video on how to do all of this, but as far as I know, the link to the video is no longer valid. Does someone else have a picture guide on how to install this? Obviously, I am not used to working on my car, but I am willing to try first before I have someone else do it as it does seem easy if I just know where everything is. I was able to put the 2001+ tail lights (thanks, Rominl!) without too much of a problem.
Old 02-25-04, 05:14 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This should be a straight forward "plug and play" HID kit....I don't think you connect any of the wiring to the battery terminal...

Most aftermarket HID lighting kits work this way..
There should be wires that connect the bulbs to the ballast and wires from the ballast to your existing 9006 bulb socket..

It's as simple as that..

Last edited by One HoT SC400; 02-25-04 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-25-04, 05:49 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sickntired: I'm moving your question to the lighting forum. We have several experts there that should be able to answer your question in detail.... Thanks
Old 02-25-04, 05:53 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

One Hot SC400:

Holy cow, you're right What is all that extra wiring for anyway?

But got another problem. The plug from the headlight won't attach to the ballast firmly. The little tab that sticks out that the plug is supposed to clip on to is not out far enough for the clip to latch on to it. What now? By holding the plug in place, I do get the HID bulb to light up, but now how to keep the plug attached to the ballast?

Anyone else have that problem with the kit from kwimports?
Old 02-25-04, 07:02 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

The little tab that sticks out that the plug is supposed to clip on to is not out far enough for the clip to latch on to it. What now?
Never heard of the kit your referring to. I would suggest that if it doesn't fit correctly, bring it back to the place where you purchased it and get a replacement...Don't force the plug into the socket or you might break something and then you'll end up with a total loss..
Old 02-25-04, 07:03 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

What is all that extra wiring for anyway?
Spare wiring maybe, I would keep it just in case..Some other applications may need extra wiring..
Old 02-25-04, 08:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Re: Questions on HID kit install on 2000 GS 300

Originally posted by sickntired
I just got the 6000K HID kit from kwimports for my 2000 GS 300. I am looking over how to install it and it seems straight forward except for a few questions.

1. The red wire that is supposed to connect to the positive terminal of the battery -- is that where everyone connects it to or is there another wire that it can be connected to that is closer to the headlights?

2. The connector (that has white and black wires going to it) that in the manual says is supposed to be connected to "power output for headlamp" -- I have supposed that this connects to something that switches the whole headlight system "on". Where exactly do I connect this to as I don't know where that connector is?

3. Since the HID bulbs have their own harnesses that connect to the ballasts, what do you guys do with the old stock harnesses? Mine run together with the other wires for the other bulbs and are all tied together. Do I just tuck the old harness away since I don't see why they would be needed after the HID kit is installed (and I don't see a way for them to be disconnected).

4. Are people putting the relays on the side that the battery is on (right side) in order to minimize the amount of cables going from one side of the car to the other? From what I see, everyting can go on the right side of the car except for the ballast for the left headlight.

Thanks for any input. I know there is a thread out there where someone actually made a video on how to do all of this, but as far as I know, the link to the video is no longer valid. Does someone else have a picture guide on how to install this? Obviously, I am not used to working on my car, but I am willing to try first before I have someone else do it as it does seem easy if I just know where everything is. I was able to put the 2001+ tail lights (thanks, Rominl!) without too much of a problem.
1) yes connects to the battery. on some old hid kits (like mine) there was no extra wire, you just use the stock wiring. but the new kits, apparently there is a hot wire to the battery terminal. some other members on this board have that kit

2) that would be the stock headlight power connector. at least in my case

3) you should at least use one of the two harness for power switching. i used both coz' my kit is the old type. for you, if you have an extra one, just use electronic tape or heat shrink to cover it up. you do't want water to get into it

4) that's up to you
Old 02-25-04, 09:39 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

Well, I got it installed. Just connected the headlight harness to the ballast and then from the ballest to the HID lights. Was very easy, but had to splice on the harness from the kit in place of the stock headlight harness since that was the only way I could secure/connect it firmly to the ballast. Works fine. I used the proper splicing materials -- just didn't twist the 2 wires together

I then put electrical tape around everything in order to keep water out. After all is said and done is WOW, what a difference it makes!
Old 02-25-04, 10:32 PM
SCryder
Pole Position

im glad all is well, my kit from KWIPORTS is on the way, how long did it take you to instal it
Old 02-25-04, 11:18 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

if it was all "plug and play" would've taken me less than 10 minutes. Since I had to splice things together, with checking to make sure things were making good connections, took about 30 minutes.
Old 02-26-04, 02:43 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Where the pics of the final product?
Old 02-27-04, 09:04 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

hmm.. i do not have this kit but i got mine from jason (discountcycle) on groupbuycenter my kit did connect to the battery the only problem i had was that the connectors from the ballast and the old connector from the acutal car was backwards so i just flip it around and did not use the clamp but it fits snugged so i have no worries. just my lil input