GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

HID installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-05, 06:43 PM
man8959
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID installation

will you guys help me explain how to install the HID from xenon depot. have a few questions for the Phillips h11, 6000k for 05' Lexus GX470. the relay has 5 wires: 1 connect to the battery, 2 connect to the left and right ballast, and what the last 2 wires connect to? which wires connect to the bulbs, is it the wire from the ballast or the relay? i don't understand the whole diagram. what about my original wires that i took off the original bulbs? please explain them to me. i haven't got my kit yet, but i want to see if i can install it before i buy it. thanks !
Old 05-09-05, 06:56 PM
DavidsGX
Pole Position

This would help!!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...H11+Xenondepot
Old 05-09-05, 07:59 PM
man8959
Driver

Originally Posted by DavidsGX
After connecting the power to both ballasts from the relay. Go back to the driver side and connect the H11 cable from the the relay to the OEM H11 harness. This is where Xenondepot kit rules. This kit is strictly plug and play most kit will have you splicing wires or tapping into the harness to connect.

The factory harness is wrapped in green and the Xenondepot H11 adapter is gray.

Thanks David, could you explain to me what's the H11 cable and H11 harness?[/B]
Old 05-11-05, 02:36 PM
DavidsGX
Pole Position

Let say H11 cable and Harness are adapters, one is female and the other is male, and connect each other.
Did I answer your question??
Old 05-18-05, 05:04 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default H11 adapter and harness

If you look inside your engine you will see factory cables that connect to your factory H11 light bulbs. The harness is the adapter that connects the car to the light bulb. It is a squarish grey unit I took a picture of it on my DYI thread.
Old 05-19-05, 07:49 PM
man8959
Driver

what about the negative ground wire from the passenger ballast, where do we connect it? I just ordered my kit from xenondepot, it should come in this weekend. thanks
Old 05-20-05, 09:41 AM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by man8959
what about the negative ground wire from the passenger ballast, where do we connect it? I just ordered my kit from xenondepot, it should come in this weekend. thanks
There already is a ground screw with grounds going into it on the side wall of the Passenger side also. Just piggy back onto that one. Worked fine.
Old 05-20-05, 04:24 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Default Look at the guide pictures I did

There are two screws one on the drivers side and one on the passenger side that have several grounding wires attached to the wall of the GX. I shot a picture of it and circled it for you.
Old 05-28-05, 05:21 PM
man8959
Driver

I installed it yesterday and love it. it's a lot brighter then the original one. i don't know if i should adjust it to lower it because it seems like i'm driving with high beam on. anyways, thanks for all the helps!
Old 05-30-05, 07:28 PM
man8959
Driver

Check out my HID, tell me what you think?
Attached Thumbnails HID installation-2005_0530image0003.jpg  

Last edited by man8959; 05-30-05 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-31-05, 09:41 AM
Tony
Lead Lap

Default Nice shot Man

Glad you got your kit in and running with HIDS looks good.
Old 06-02-05, 02:40 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

That looks nice, can you take a picture of the cutof? meaning of the light hitting the wall about 15 feet away, because I want to see how the halogen gx projectors perfrom. If you seem to be gettin alot of glare and your light output is not that sharp you might want to consider installing HID projectors in there. And by the way you will damage your stock relay with the HID lights so I suggest you go to napa and buy a 25 doller foglight harness and hook that up and run the Hid through there b.c if anything goes wrong with that harness the relay is 7 dollers and you can imagine how much it would cost to fix your stock harness. And if you still can I suggest you return the "kit" and buy OEM parts b/c hid "kits" are notorious for there poor quality, they usualy start to fail in a few month to a year. Anyway if you need help on retrofitting or installing the harness hit me up.
Old 06-02-05, 03:56 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Default No need for extra harness protection

The Xenondepot kit is 100% reliable and safe. The kit will not harm or alter you electrical system in fact it puts less drain on the factory harness then the OEM system. Alot of Clublexus members have installed the kit and not one person has had a problem yet. Mine has been in for a year. The components are all Philips so its not the cheap stuff.
Old 06-02-05, 06:37 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Actually it does hurt your electrical system and I will explain why, there are different wirring harness's installed on vehicles with HID and Halogen. The reason they install different wirring harness for HID is because Hid ballast draw up to 25,000 volts at warm up, that doesnt harm your system but the fact that your stock relay is only designed to effectivly handle 15 amps. That is why our vehicles have 15 amp fuses, now in reality the halogen lights only pull no more then 8 amps of electricity at any given time. Hid on the other fact pulls up to 14 amps of electricity at start up which lasts no longer then 5 seconds but in that 5 seconds the relay is pulling way more current then it was originaly intended to govern. In short you will probably not see any problems after a year or maybe even 2, after that period of time the relay will start to fail from because of the higher current. Yes you can listen to Xenon depot and not upgrade your harness but who will you blame when your electrical system begins to act up? good luck blaming xenon depot. Ive installed many hid systems and I own a 99 lexus gs-300. It took me a while but I finnaly found the answer to my question and it was Do the lexus gs models that come with halogen lights come with the same wirring harness as the models that come with HID lights and the answer is no, a former lexus tech explained to me that the harness installed in the HID equiped cars are specificaly designed to carry more current and he explained even more, he said that the older the HID bulbs get the more current they pull because since the salt inside the bulb gets older it takes more power to fire it up thus the harness is designed to withstand the higher current spikes. The gx only comes with halogen lights with halogen projectors which I' have no idea how they perfrom with a hid "kit" but my guess is they perform no better then all the other halogen designed projectors out there. Sure you can stick a kit into any headlights for that matter, but spending 200+ dollers on a lighting system that will be used in projectors designed for halogen light, and getting 50% of the light output compared with the HID designed projectors I dont think that makes much sense at all. And besides those bulbs are what 6000K? im pretty sure there not phillips ultions so even at that your light bulbs put out less light then oem 4100k and 4300k light bulbs. So lets put this all in perspective, you buy a hid "kit" for over 200 dollers, then you stick them in your halogen projectors which produce 50% output compared to HID designed projectors and you add to them light bulbs which produce even less light then oem light bulbs hmmmm and add to that those projectors must give of a ton of glare and the fact that its a truck sitting way higher then a car will blind all incoming drivers....Ive never heard of a HID retrofited car geting pulled over for there lights but this is just asking for trouble, thats my .02. IF I were you I would buy honda s2000 projectors or acura TL or if you can the lexus LS or any other HID projectors for that matter and retrofit them in the headlights, or if you feel your not up to the challange then have someone do it for you, you will then produce no glare, you will be utilizing 100% potential of the light bulbs and you will light up the road like youve never thought possible.
Old 06-02-05, 07:37 PM
man8959
Driver

does anybody experience problems that vicestan is talking about. i'm a little scare now. and how do i prevent it from happening?

Quick Reply: HID installation