1995 SC400 Audio questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-17, 02:26 PM
drseth
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1995 SC400 Audio questions

Hi,

1. I am replacing the stock Pioneer subwoofer amp with a Kicker 100W 1 ohm, using the connector to wire in the new amp. I have removed the old amp, and there is a hole in the space it occupies. Does it matter whether the hole is plugged? The
​​controls to the new amp will be inaccessible if I position the new amp where the old one was, so I am considering moving it to near the CD Changer.

2. CD Changer works, but skips and sometimes seems to bee 2 tracks concurrently. Is fixing this something that can be done by a novice? If it is too involved, No problem. I am mainly streaming Pandora.

3. If I change the speakers from 4 inch to 5.25 or 6.5 inch, what modifications need to be done to the rear deck? Is there much improvement over stock speakers? I changed the stock rear speakers with some Kenwood 4 inch Coaxial for ease of installation, but can't hear any difference.

I don't play music excessive loud but want crisp sound.
Old 03-18-17, 12:19 PM
canamrotax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are streaming Pandora, you must have added a new head unit? Or did you do the tape deck /aux input mod?
Swapping the deck speakers is a waste of your time and money. Swap your front speakers instead. Much more bang/$.
If you want better sound, junk the stock amp that runs your speakers and install a 4 channel that you can set crossovers on.
High pass all the speakers above 100 hz, and have the sub amp low pass at 100hz.

This way the sub does it's job, and the coaxial speakers are not trying to reproduce bass.
Old 03-19-17, 01:09 PM
drseth
Driver

Originally Posted by canamrotax
If you are streaming Pandora, you must have added a new head unit? Or did you do the tape deck /aux input mod?
Swapping the deck speakers is a waste of your time and money. Swap your front speakers instead. Much more bang/$.
If you want better sound, junk the stock amp that runs your speakers and install a 4 channel that you can set crossovers on.
High pass all the speakers above 100 hz, and have the sub amp low pass at 100hz.

This way the sub does it's job, and the coaxial speakers are not trying to reproduce bass.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I use the cassette adapter to stream music on the phone. My main complaint has been the subwoofer buzzing above 1/3 volume. Should I cover the subwoofer amp hole on the rear deck, or cut out something to fit? The 4 speaker sound is acceptable to at the moment, but I can see where a newer 4 channel amp would be an improvement. What size speakers did you put in the doors?
Old 03-19-17, 05:59 PM
canamrotax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the sub is buzzing, it is probably worn out. Cassette adapters are functional, but produce poor audio quality, along with introducing unwanted noise. I install for a living, and I always recommend a speaker replacement that will need as little modification to the car as possible. Your stock locations are 4 inch, with a tweeter in the front doors. All of the speakers in these cars are in custom enclosures, making replacement a bit more technical.
Old 03-20-17, 06:16 AM
drseth
Driver

Originally Posted by canamrotax
If the sub is buzzing, it is probably worn out. Cassette adapters are functional, but produce poor audio quality, along with introducing unwanted noise. I install for a living, and I always recommend a speaker replacement that will need as little modification to the car as possible. Your stock locations are 4 inch, with a tweeter in the front doors. All of the speakers in these cars are in custom enclosures, making replacement a bit more technical.
​​​​​​While waiting on the new amp, I decided to take the old amp apart to scavenge parts. I noticed a black area on the side of the housing, so I removed the circuit board, and discovered a blown capacitor. Found what I needed on eBay 10 for $2.50! I have done some soldering, but not circuit boards. Time to go to Radio Shack for supplies.

Notice the black around the side of housing.
This is what the housing looks like with circuit board out.
This is a closeup of the blown capacitor. I might go to Radio Shack to get the items needed to fix.

Last edited by drseth; 03-20-17 at 06:32 AM.