Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:
Old 12-15-14, 12:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

How to fully integrate your smartphone in a Lexus: Mirror iPhone & Android screens

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-13, 12:15 PM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to fully integrate your smartphone in a Lexus: Mirror iPhone & Android screens

Usually a Lexus has all options, no real need for modifications, except one: Integration of the Smartphone functions, of all functions I mean. Well, this is what I did with a Samsung Galaxy S3 and an iPhone 5. And this can be done with many other phones and nearly all Lexus 5th and 6th navigation generation (2006 - 2012)

If you like to become happy as I am, simply do the same as I did: Buy products from Vaistech and connect your toys. Below are three shots of my latest iPhone5 installation in an LS600. It is my pleasure to answer the questions you may have how to do that. But first, you may like to watch the same video I played in my car. Simply add /watch?v=nN22Tu3RW2E to the youtube.com address.
Attached Thumbnails How to fully integrate your smartphone in a Lexus: Mirror iPhone & Android screens-img_3407.jpg   How to fully integrate your smartphone in a Lexus: Mirror iPhone & Android screens-img_3395.jpg   How to fully integrate your smartphone in a Lexus: Mirror iPhone & Android screens-img_3387.jpg  
Old 03-01-13, 02:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i cannot wait to see this new ipod integration in person
Old 03-01-13, 03:50 PM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
i cannot wait to see this new ipod integration in person
No need to wait as all parts are available!

1. Vaistech iVIC 5D
2. iPhone5
3. Lightning Digital AV Adapter
4. SBRotator 6 Cydia Tweak

5. Bluetooth Stack
6. SunshineTronic or similar High Speed HDMI A male to A male cable
7. Angle 90 Degree - HDMI Male to Female Adapter
(See attached image for parts 6 and 7)

iPhone 5 connection to the navigation screen is identical to the TV connection via HDMI and the iVIC bluetooth connection to the iPhone is from technical perspective a mouse steering. I recommend to test the mouse functionality with a normal bluetooth mouse. If this is working, it is working while connected to the iVIC. Vaistech iVIC lets you adjust the mouse pointer in custom settings, see manual.

However, remember my video snapshot which is made for good reasons. Oh no, it is not about the fingerprints from the other side of the glass (LOL). You see he wants to break free. Yes, leave the jail, break was never so easy for a man (with an iPhone).
Attached Thumbnails How to fully integrate your smartphone in a Lexus: Mirror iPhone & Android screens-img_3364_1.jpg  

Last edited by whitetooth; 03-01-13 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-01-13, 04:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

oh so this is using the ivic for android module, and you are basically using the video input part?

but does touch screen interaction work? or this is just a mirror function and controls still go through the iphone
Old 03-01-13, 05:05 PM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
oh so this is using the ivic for android module, and you are basically using the video input part?

but does touch screen interaction work? or this is just a mirror function and controls still go through the iphone
Yes, touch screen interaction is working and I'm using the iVIC for Androids HDMI port. The only thing I have to solve so far is the keyboard. It is not coming up on the nav screen. Fortunately this is not really needed. For security reasons I do not enter something while driving.

Here is the video for BT Mouse.

If the mouse pointer is visible and you can move it will work together with the iVIC. In Settings/Bluetooth both, mouse and iVIC, are listed and connected if available.

Of course, the Lexus nav screen is not an Apple touch screen and it takes a while to wipe with the right speed. But this is the same with Androids.

Last edited by whitetooth; 03-01-13 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-02-13, 10:12 AM
estribo
Driver School Candidate

so instead of waiting for the New ML+ for the iphone 5, i can just run the setup you have listed?
Old 03-02-13, 11:46 AM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Originally Posted by estribo
so instead of waiting for the New ML+ for the iphone 5, i can just run the setup you have listed?
Yes, you can. At least you have three choices:

Connect your iPhone with the Lightening adapter to an iVIC for Androids and tap/wipe your phone whenever you like to play videos, music or run apps. This does not require any software installation. You can switch to iVIC audio and have the full control (steering wheel/Lexus touch screen) of a second native CD player with music from iPhone or any other USB sources. Your Lexus nav screen is like a TV screen when in HDMI source mode.

Connect your iPhone with the Lightening adapter to an iVIC for Androids and install a changed operating system (iOS) and two new apps. This allows you to touch the car navi and play video, music, run apps by touching the Lexus display. This is what I did.

Wait for iVIC for iPhone. This runs with stock iPhones but cannot have all of the functions of your iPhone. E.g. Apple does not allow to run the iPhone Springboard in landscape orientation. See attachment how it would look like if it would act as a mirror. Unacceptable! This is for sure my logical thinking. Can be the case that I am wrong. The future is not written!
Attached Thumbnails How to fully integrate your smartphone in a Lexus: Mirror iPhone & Android screens-img_3366.jpg  
Old 03-02-13, 12:20 PM
estribo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I got everything set but cant figure and what does it do

5. Bluetooth Stack
Old 03-02-13, 02:12 PM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Originally Posted by estribo
Thanks. I got everything set but cant figure and what does it do

5. Bluetooth Stack
Pardon, only wording, BT = Bluetooth , BTStack Mouse

Is a utility that let’s you control an iPhone with a Bluetooth mouse. Helpful description.

iVIC controls the iPhone as a mouse and in Settings/Bluetooth the device is listed as iVIC:33:a0 and needs to be paired. If switched off or outside the range you get a message. Test of my Microsoft mouse:
Attached Thumbnails How to fully integrate your smartphone in a Lexus: Mirror iPhone & Android screens-photo.png  
Old 03-02-13, 02:33 PM
estribo
Driver School Candidate

perfect thanks.
Old 03-14-13, 08:22 PM
lexusTex
Driver School Candidate

Default Need help with 2007 Lexus LS460 w/o self parking, with IVIC

Originally Posted by whitetooth
Yes, you can. At least you have three choices:

Connect your iPhone with the Lightening adapter to an iVIC for Androids and tap/wipe your phone whenever you like to play videos, music or run apps. This does not require any software installation. You can switch to iVIC audio and have the full control (steering wheel/Lexus touch screen) of a second native CD player with music from iPhone or any other USB sources. Your Lexus nav screen is like a TV screen when in HDMI source mode.

Connect your iPhone with the Lightening adapter to an iVIC for Androids and install a changed operating system (iOS) and two new apps. This allows you to touch the car navi and play video, music, run apps by touching the Lexus display. This is what I did.

Wait for iVIC for iPhone. This runs with stock iPhones but cannot have all of the functions of your iPhone. E.g. Apple does not allow to run the iPhone Springboard in landscape orientation. See attachment how it would look like if it would act as a mirror. Unacceptable! This is for sure my logical thinking. Can be the case that I am wrong. The future is not written!
Hello Whitetooth,
Great posting.
I am hoping you can give some advise on getting my "2007 Lexus LS460 w/o self parking" to work with iVIC (current). I read around that it does not work, or the backup camera goes away (factory camera) when using iVIC. I assume you have your LS460 with self parking. Any ideas how to get the one "without self parking" to work? Much appreciated.
Old 03-17-13, 04:54 PM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusTex
Hello Whitetooth,
Great posting.
I am hoping you can give some advise on getting my "2007 Lexus LS460 w/o self parking" to work with iVIC (current). I read around that it does not work, or the backup camera goes away (factory camera) when using iVIC. I assume you have your LS460 with self parking. Any ideas how to get the one "without self parking" to work? Much appreciated.
Hi lexusTex,
I own a LS600hL with self parking and therefore all is working. As described by Linus73 at

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ml#post7827386

you need to hardwire the stock cam with the iVIC camera input and activate this source whenever you're interested in the rear view. This will work while driving, too.

I would not build such a connection and rather add an Aftermarket camera. I did this with some SC430 and the owners are happy. Right, SC430 is easy as the NavTool can be placed in the trunk. You need a cable from rear plate to the iVIC located below armrest in the best case.
Old 03-21-13, 04:52 PM
Retperio
Driver School Candidate

I have a '06 LS 430. When I first got this car in Jan, 2013 I turned on my iphone 5 and it connected and worked. No pairing or passcode requested. This week it became disconnected and I get the message Bluetooth Unsuccessful and cannot use the phone thru' the car anymore. What do I do to get it back. I'm not interested in doing all that is talked about on these posts because all I want to do is call out and receive calls. Any answers. Thanks, Retperio
Old 03-23-13, 09:41 PM
CJITTY

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Whitetooth, great post man! So I just installed my iViC for my Android Galaxy Note 2 phone today. I guess I am about 75% pleased so far..but maybe it is because I am still learning everything.

Gripes:

1. Cannot figure out how to run my Google Navigation or Waze apps while listening to FM or SAT from the factory head unit. It seems that the only way I can listen to audio and run the navigation apps is to play music from the phone. Once I hit the SAT button, I love the iViC screen and it defaults to my stock NAV. So, this was a major let down...I hope it is just a setting issue that I haven't come across yet.

2. My scrolling on the factory nav screen doesn't work quite like the phone...if I can get this bluetooth mouse to mimic how the new 2013 Lexus vehicles have, that would be a huge plus.

3. I wish that after I back up and the camera turns off that the iViC screen returns back without me having to hit the Disc/Aux button to toggle it again. It may also be a setting or programming issue.

4. My Samsung MHL adapter has a weak connection..almost as if it does not go far enough into the phone usb port. So I am using a cheaper MHL adapter that has been working great.

Otherwise, it works as advertised. I also need to verify firmware version to make sure my setup is the latest and greatest.
Old 03-30-13, 01:48 AM
jaytido24
Driver School Candidate

I really want to do the setup for the iPhone, but i had no idea id be spending so much money on it..does anyone have a youtube video or more pictures of the integration in a is250? I totally need this for long road trips back home.

Quick Reply: How to fully integrate your smartphone in a Lexus: Mirror iPhone & Android screens