Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Problem..possible amp issue (?) so I'm looking for help trouble shooting

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-11, 04:06 AM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem..possible amp issue (?) so I'm looking for help trouble shooting

So I was driving and suddenly the cabin fills with thick electric smoke. To the point where I have to pull over and get it it was so thick and i couldnt breathe.

THe receiver still get's/puts a video signal because the small lcd on the receiver is playing video but all audio shut down. I pulled over, powered everything down.

Due to how fast if filled the cabin it HAD to have come from the vents or in the glove box where my DVD receiver is mounted.

Audio is not working because NOTHING in my trunk (3 amps, subs, capacitors, lights, tv motorized tracks) is getting power . It was told to me by my local audio guy (via an emergency phone call) that the thing that would cause smoke is a fried amp but that makes little sense due to the fact that if coming from the trunk, the smoke wouldnt have filled the cabin so quickly and thickly (i'm 90% sure it was coming from vents).

So. Likely a Blown fuse which is cutting power to all other a/v components in the trunk! (??) I have yet to locate the fuse box and it's dark but I'm HOPING to find a blown fuse tomorrow in daylight then I can see which amp is the issue if any.

A blown fuse wouldnt produce a thick heavy smoke would it (not to my knowledge which is very minimal)? Can the back of a receiver in the glove box have a short that would produce thick smoke but yet retain it's video capability? I'm guessing it's NOT the receiver since it is picking up video just fine.

I'm freaking out and pre-planning for the worst: Amp issue. So i may be asking for amp recommendations for 2 alpine type R's (i have yet to look and see if they are the 2 or 4 ohm type R's). The issue there is that I have 2 very plain looking amps (came with my A/V system as a whole and what's odd is that no one has been able to locate a brand or model number on these amps) that seem to have been chosen with heavy consideration on their size/shape since they are bolted down in a center display with capacitors mounted atop so no fancy amp odd shaped amp could work in my setup.

Been a bad, expensive month for my baby.