Sponsored by:

JL 500 1v2 Not powering on!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-11, 01:27 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default JL 500 1v2 Not powering on!

Well after a long day of troubleshooting and figuring out why it wont turn on.

I have ran the power cable (4gauge) from battery to my trunk
Got a good ground ( sanded and placed a bolt also 4gauge)
Ran my remote wire to the IGN fuse with a fuse tap.

It should of turned on and everything I crimped everything good volt meter shows power to my 4gauge power cable. I couldn't really see if there were any volts from the remote wire.

I tried tapping into other fuses etc etc still nothing. I had my friend who does audio and he was stumped as well.

It seems like my amp is fried? When i bought it on craigslist I had the previous owner run the amp for me and it powered a sub no problem and the lights turned on. But for some reason I can't get it to turn on.

Any ideas?

I had my friend take the amp and try to run it on his car to see if it is a dead amp.
Old 12-10-11, 02:27 AM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know the jl 500/1v2 also has an option where it has turns on by signal. You can try that if you want. If that doesn't the next thing you can do to see if the amp is working is tapping the 12v to the REM. If that doesn't turn on your amp than yea it might be fried. when you tested out your 12v 4gauge did you use your ground 4gauge as the ground on the voltmeter? I've had ground wires that look fine but are damage inside. Hopefully this helps you out!!!
Old 12-10-11, 02:55 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PK_Celsior
I know the jl 500/1v2 also has an option where it has turns on by signal. You can try that if you want. If that doesn't the next thing you can do to see if the amp is working is tapping the 12v to the REM. If that doesn't turn on your amp than yea it might be fried. when you tested out your 12v 4gauge did you use your ground 4gauge as the ground on the voltmeter? I've had ground wires that look fine but are damage inside. Hopefully this helps you out!!!
Yeah my friend told me about the signal thing where it turns on itself, never knew that. But i have not tried it without the remote wire yet. I'll try that next time.

Sorry, im not good with audio at all but what does REM mean?

Its strange because i opened up the amp and it smelled fresh (out of the box smell) it didn't smell like smoke or toast. I was trying to locate the fuse but it wasn't visible at all.

Yeah I hooked up the voltmeter to the ground wire as well.

Thanks
Old 12-10-11, 03:27 AM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

REM = Remote Turn on Wire xD
so you just need a short amount of wire. it will go from your 12v to remote. Its a quick bypass to see if your amp works. jl amps are interesting in which they don't have fuses. they really believe in their MOSFET and R.I.P.S. technology to not fry out the amp :x. I have blown up one before though xD
Old 12-10-11, 07:36 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I know the jl 500/1v2 also has an option where it has turns on by signal.
This is true - to a point. It will only use a full range signal to turn on, so hooking it to the sub output via a LOC won't do it. Not sure why they do it that way since a mono amp is usually for bass only, but it is what it is.

I would also recommend doing the jumper after ensuring you have +12V on the cables. It's a quick check to see if the amp is working or not. Strange that he showed you it worked before purchase and now it's not.

You said you were looking for fuses, and this may seem like a bad question, but did you put a fuse in line with your supply? And is it working?

Big Mack
Old 12-10-11, 10:36 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

REM = Remote Turn on Wire xD
so you just need a short amount of wire. it will go from your 12v to remote. Its a quick bypass to see if your amp works. jl amps are interesting in which they don't have fuses. they really believe in their MOSFET and R.I.P.S. technology to not fry out the amp :x. I have blown up one before though xD
oh man, alright i'll definitely try that once i get my amp back from my buddy, its strange because I thought i would hear something pop / or smelled something if it is friend.

Originally Posted by Big Mack
This is true - to a point. It will only use a full range signal to turn on, so hooking it to the sub output via a LOC won't do it. Not sure why they do it that way since a mono amp is usually for bass only, but it is what it is.

I would also recommend doing the jumper after ensuring you have +12V on the cables. It's a quick check to see if the amp is working or not. Strange that he showed you it worked before purchase and now it's not.

You said you were looking for fuses, and this may seem like a bad question, but did you put a fuse in line with your supply? And is it working?

Big Mack
Yeah I am using a LOC so I'm gonna assume the auto-turn on thing won't exactly work for my situation. I'll definitely try the jumper.

When you mean fuse in line with your supply, do you mean the fuse with the power wire? If so yes it is right next to my battery and it is not blown. I checked it with the volt meter and it definitely showed juice running through it.

When i said looking for a fuse i meant on the amp itself.

Just thought of something.. is it possible that I have the signal sensing ON and I am running it via remote wire thus why its not working? Or would it work either way if it was on or off?

Last edited by abounly; 12-10-11 at 02:20 PM.