Sponsored by:

ML owners: sound quality differences with different media

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-08, 01:19 PM
benjdow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ML owners: sound quality differences with different media

I got the opportunity to test out the ML system when my friend took an ISF for a test drive. I brought my own CD (burned) and was absolutely blown away. It sounded phenomenal. I started to wonder what the sound quality differences would be using different types of media. So for you ML owners could you describe the difference between original CD vs. burned CD vs. IPOD vs. Sat radio vs. DVD audio. I assume DVD audio would sound the best, but since it is a DVD and DVD is disabled when you’re in drive would a DVD audio disk be disabled as well? I was really just curious if there are any considerable differences between media types
Old 10-06-08, 08:19 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've listened to many ML systems and a few different sources. The sources are sometimes recorded differently, that is, one can come from a complete digital master whereas another might come from a tape master. There is a difference.

If you think the ML is good, you really owe it to yourself to listen to a well prepared aftermarket system. The ML is a TOY when compared to the aftermarket systems that have been tuned out correctly.

Also, be advised. The ML systems in the car aren't built to nearly the same type of quality that their home system is known for. They tout the home systems "$100,000", but the ML auto components that they use are of actually LESSER quality than many "best buy special" amps. Engin_ear and I took a look at one and we were very disappointed.

Forget about all of the reviewers and their flowery market/hype speak language. Just find a good aftermarket system that has been tuned out and be prepared to be blown away.

BTW...The surround sound settings were poor in the ML system that I listened to. That was both the GS and the LS430. The staging wasn't as wide and the dynamics were a bit congested. But for the type of components that the system had in there, it did the job. They actually sounded better with the surround sound OFF and any of the DSP settings OFF.
Old 10-07-08, 04:10 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

It's not only the playback media, it's the resolution of the data recorded on that media. DVD Audio is an audio only format. I don't have an ML system in my ES-350 so I don't know if DVD-A would be disabled. In my opinion it should work fine. The next in line should be CD / CD-R if it were created from an original CD. Anything less is a lossless format and will impact the sound quality. How much? Depends on the source. I find any of the compressed audio formats unlistenable at 128kps and lower. For casual listening in the ES, I burn CD-R with WMA files ripped at 320kps, fixed bit rate.

-Robert
Old 10-07-08, 01:19 PM
benjdow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Percy
I've listened to many ML systems and a few different sources. The sources are sometimes recorded differently, that is, one can come from a complete digital master whereas another might come from a tape master. There is a difference.

If you think the ML is good, you really owe it to yourself to listen to a well prepared aftermarket system. The ML is a TOY when compared to the aftermarket systems that have been tuned out correctly.

Also, be advised. The ML systems in the car aren't built to nearly the same type of quality that their home system is known for. They tout the home systems "$100,000", but the ML auto components that they use are of actually LESSER quality than many "best buy special" amps. Engin_ear and I took a look at one and we were very disappointed.

Forget about all of the reviewers and their flowery market/hype speak language. Just find a good aftermarket system that has been tuned out and be prepared to be blown away.

BTW...The surround sound settings were poor in the ML system that I listened to. That was both the GS and the LS430. The staging wasn't as wide and the dynamics were a bit congested. But for the type of components that the system had in there, it did the job. They actually sounded better with the surround sound OFF and any of the DSP settings OFF.
Yes, but in comparison to other stock stereo systems how do you think the ML measures up? I'm looking to get a used IS350 but can't decide if I absolutely need the ML or not.
Old 12-22-08, 04:39 AM
GSguy77095
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by benjdow
I got the opportunity to test out the ML system when my friend took an ISF for a test drive. I brought my own CD (burned) and was absolutely blown away. It sounded phenomenal. I started to wonder what the sound quality differences would be using different types of media. So for you ML owners could you describe the difference between original CD vs. burned CD vs. IPOD vs. Sat radio vs. DVD audio. I assume DVD audio would sound the best, but since it is a DVD and DVD is disabled when you’re in drive would a DVD audio disk be disabled as well? I was really just curious if there are any considerable differences between media types
You can listen to DVD-A while driving, you just won't have access to the video display, but still able to navigate previous/next. The same is true with DVD-Video, you can continue to get the audio without the video after the parking brake is disengaged.

IMO, ML is the best OEM system, but that is all personal preference. It does not compare to my home theater, but I'm completely happy to have this quality in my GS; which I think makes an excellent environment to listen to the quality of music put out by the ML system.

DVD-A is the best music format that ML will reproduce, but it appears to have a few shortcomings that I'm currently investigating. Some releases, like Steely Dan Gaucho in both DVD-A and DVD DTS 5.1 sound very discrete, but I'm perplexed that Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is missing some key tracks on playback (its not the media). My GS is new, so I will be investigating this with the dealership. I'm hoping it can be resolved with a firmware upgrade.

Hope this helps . . . . .
Old 12-22-08, 09:40 AM
Percy

Originally Posted by benjdow
Yes, but in comparison to other stock stereo systems how do you think the ML measures up? I'm looking to get a used IS350 but can't decide if I absolutely need the ML or not.
I'd save your money. There have been numerous documented problems on the ML system, especially with blown amps and blown subs. Plus the build quality inside one of the amps is just downright insulting.

GSguy77095 - missing key tracks?
Old 12-22-08, 11:08 AM
GSguy77095
Driver School Candidate

I'd save your money. There have been numerous documented problems on the ML system, especially with blown amps and blown subs. Plus the build quality inside one of the amps is just downright insulting.

GSguy77095 - missing key tracks?
That didn't come out right. Not tracks, like individual songs. Tracks like when mixing.

When listening, you will notice a missing instrumental part. For example, you expect to hear a guitar solo overlaying the rest of the musical composition, but its not present.

A good example is on Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, during Sweet Painted Lady, there is a trombone part that is integral to the music. It is completely missing from the listening experience inside the car. Take that same media into my home theater and you can hear the trombone.

I've seen other players that are unable to read some DVD media layer (I had a Denon with this type of problem) and the manufacturer would address resolving the issue with a firmware upgrade. I'm hoping ML will get on top of this, but time will only tell.
Old 12-22-08, 10:51 PM
Percy

Wow. Interesting info! Didn't know that the ML system had a problem decoding the multi layer stuff.

Keep us updated on this - I'm sure there are other ML owners that are affected by the same situation also!
Old 12-23-08, 04:27 AM
GSguy77095
Driver School Candidate

I don't know what its doing or not doing. Out of about 10 DVD-Audios I've played, its the only one that is missing segments of instrument voicing (don't know a better way to describe it). I had hoped others on this forum could indicate if they had similar experiences, but it seems many don't appreciate the ML systems ability to read DVD-A. So virtually no responses from others on DVD-A playback.

As far as your original post, I would not consider anything less than a car's premium audio system. I'm not into a custom 3rd party system, but I suppose you could open your check book and really put in something far superior - I wouldn't know what the latest auto audio technology is like. I do know my home theater is far superior with reading and playing discrete channels of DVD-A than the ML. However I will say I think with DVD-V, the DD 5.1 discrete channels are very distinct (I have Bourne Identity in my car now and the audio is stunning).

I will update you on this thread when I know more. I have a friend with the same generation ML. He doesn't have Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, so I'll either take mine over to listen on his system, or when I go for my first service at the dealership (unless I hear something back from them first).
Old 12-27-08, 05:49 PM
GSguy77095
Driver School Candidate

Wow. Interesting info! Didn't know that the ML system had a problem decoding the multi layer stuff.

Keep us updated on this - I'm sure there are other ML owners that are affected by the same situation also!
I stopped by the service center today and showed what it was doing. Strangely, they had no other cars with ML systems on the dealership lot (they keep the inventory elsewhere), so I had nothing to compare it with. I have a friend with an '08 ISF with the ML, so I may stop by try playing my DVD-As on his system to see how it plays. In any regard, my dealership is going to order a new system to install. They agreed it wasn't right.

By this time I had picked up Steely Dan Gaucho in DVD-Audio (not the DTS 5.1). And it was missing many, many instruments in the playback. It felt like you were listening to a partial mix of the final version.

I have to believe the processor is failing to correctly decode.

I'm surprised there have not been more comments from other DVD-A enthusiasts, but I'm guessing since the ML system has only recently been able to read DVD-A, its too new for more to comment on.

I certainly don't expect it to sound as good as my home theater, but I do expect it to play back the full spectrum. Funny that I can play the same Steely Dan Gaucho's stereo layer and get all of the instruments. But the 5.1 layer is not decoding.

I'll update this thread after the new system is installed (end of next week hopefully) . . . . . . . . .
Old 12-30-08, 05:25 PM
mocheen
Rookie

I would have to agree that you should purchase the used IS with the ML system in it. I have listened to many stereo systems and unless you are willing to open up your wallet and shell out a few thousand dollars for an aftermarket system the ML is the way to go. I have owned several cars with over 5K in audio equipment, but then you need to worry about thieves and where you park the car. With an aftermarket system you can tailor it to your needs.

I owned an Acura ASPEC TL and I thought the sound system inside was great. I also have to say that for a stock vehicle the ML system is great as well. When manufacturers design a car, they have the luxury of deciding on the optimum locations for the speakers. I had to upgrade the system in my 4Runner, only because the car is so old that the stereos back then were horrible. I have Boston Acoustic highs and mids and JL audio subs. All powered by phoenix gold amplifiers and an Alpine deck. I do not think it sounds any better than the ML system. Granted I did not spend more than $3500 on all of this. Maybe, I am getting too old to want to fiddle with the stereo system anymore.
Old 12-30-08, 07:35 PM
GSguy77095
Driver School Candidate

Just out of curiosity, does your ML have the ability to playback
DVD-Audio? I'm not sure when this functionality was added. My ML is in a '08 GS. And if so, have you played DVD-Audios and can comment on the differences?

The reason I ask is I'm curious if others are experiencing some suttle losiness to certain instruments in a few select DVD-As (Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, and Steely Dan Gaucho). My dealer has ordered another unit, but most DVD-As play fine, a few others don't (while they do on my home theater). Its either the processor, or in need of a firmware upgrade. I haven't heard from others if anyone is experiencing the same.

When I play back DVD-As, I like to fade more to the rear channels. This seems to keep the lead vocals in the center and front channels, and the background vocals, more separate and prevalent in the rear channels. Fills the car with discrete channels of audio throughout better. Makes for a nice listening experience - just not as nice as my high end home theater system . . . . .