Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Help about a part ('98 LS Radio question)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-06, 01:20 PM
odjodi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help about a part ('98 LS Radio question)

If someone would please help. I bought a 98 ls400 at salvage. I have it mostly fixed and am driving it. My problem is when I got it the radio did not work right. It's like it is not connected to the antennae. I have been trying in vain to determine why. I [I]think[I] something was taken out of the right rear wheel well. If you have this car will you look and see if something is in the wheel well with a couple of connections to it? Maybe get a part number off of it. I have the Pioneer system. I think it also has something to do with the changer as it acts like it is dead. Any info will be appreciated.
Old 10-24-06, 02:56 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The amp is under the front passenger seat. The wires you are talking about in the trunk are for the cell phone system if equipped. The ant is on the upper rear windshield.

Is the antenna connected in the back of the radio?
Does the tape deck work?
Old 10-25-06, 09:37 AM
odjodi
Driver School Candidate

OK. That is useful. I took it to a stereo place. The guy couldn't figure out the problem. He attached a little ant to it and stuck it inside my windshield. It picks up maybe 4 stations and those very scratchy. The tape deck does work. I have been entertaining myself with casettes from the eighties for months. I am very cheap. It seems like my head unit is just bad. Does anyone disagree? I hate to go aftermarket so wonder what my best next step should be?

skperformance thanks for answering.
Old 10-30-06, 12:59 PM
denverdog
Pole Position

why do you hate to go aftermarket? you'll get a better unit at a cheaper price.
Old 10-30-06, 01:12 PM
odjodi
Driver School Candidate

I don't like the way it looks. I am weird as well as cheap.
Old 10-31-06, 10:41 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by odjodi
I don't like the way it looks. I am weird as well as cheap.
Then you have your answer. First i hear of someone changing thier stereo and possibly losing CD changer functions for regular radio.

Moving to the mobile audio section for more exposure.
Old 10-31-06, 04:56 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by odjodi
I think something was taken out of the right rear wheel well. If you have this car will you look and see if something is in the wheel well with a couple of connections to it?
If the two connectors in the right wheel wheel are for a removed OEM phone ECU, then you should plug the two connectors together to complete the curcuit. In 98-00 LS400s without phones, these connectors are attached to the bottom of the tool box housing.
Old 11-14-06, 12:35 PM
odjodi
Driver School Candidate

The connectors: one looks like an antennae wire and the other has a bracket like speaker wires are in. I think it probably did not have the phone and they are just useless. I found the amp under the seat. The seat was catching on it and wouldn't go back so I had to work on that. I got it back but I think it will get stuck againd if someone runs it up far enough. I am still mulling the radio problem.
Old 11-17-06, 08:15 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Attached is a photo of the connectors in the trunk that I think you are seeing. Don't worry about them -- it is normal that the two connectors you mentioned are not connected to anything. The connectors attached to the plastic bracket in the photo (the ones plugged into each other) are for the phone and are normally attached to the bottom of the tool kit housing.

You may be cheap but there are plenty of companies that repair Lexus radios at reasonable prices -- you can find some by Googling "Lexus Radio repair" -- you may have to spend a few hundred if you want your radio to work.

I don't understand how the front passenger seat can catch on the amp? The amp should be protected by a plastic cover. Sounds like something odd is going on with that.
Attached Thumbnails Help about a part ('98 LS Radio question)-trunk-connector-2.jpg  
Old 11-20-06, 11:45 AM
odjodi
Driver School Candidate

Good pics you are exactly right. So I will ignore that. As for the seat, it was something odd. I'm not sure how it occured. (The price I pay for driving a salvage, ride is sweet but the problems are not few) When I got my seatbelts replaced the guy moved the seat all the way forward. When I tried to move it back it would only go a little way. So when I got a round tuit I investigated. What I found was the plastic cover attached to the vent and the amp itself was catching the bar under the seat as it moved back. I removed the cover and the amp was not in right. The two prongs on the front were not in their slots. I had to bend the housing a little to get it to set in right. Then I put the plastic cover back. But I still had to hold it down to run the seat over it. I think because the plastic was a bit warped. Can't bend plastic back in shape. I hope it will settle back to original position but I will probably just have to hold it everytime I have to move the seat up which should be next to never. I had a guy here offer to let me try a OE radio he has to make sure it is the radio bad in mine. I have a note out to him (or her) now. I hope then to know what I will do next. Thanks for the idea about the googling. If this falls through it could be my next step. I appreciate the kindness of strangers. Wouldn't make it day to day without.