Sponsored by:

Need Help Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-01, 03:34 PM
KNKGS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Need help with rattle that i am getting mostly from my spoiler, and some from truck. Just installed my 2 12" subs JL audio with an MTX Thunder8302 110x2 into 40hms, trust me the sound from the inside cabin is not that bad turn down the bass a bit and the clearity is still good in the front, as for the back you do lose some clarity due to the strong bass in the back, to bad for those sitting in the back over all love the base and sound now expect with the rattle outside?
Old 06-24-01, 12:19 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Possibilities

K - Check the license plate frame & third brake light - those seem to be the most common rattle points. If the spoiler's one as well, remove it & apply some Dynamat between the mounting point & trunk lid then reassemble it. Worked for me so far!
Old 06-25-01, 02:03 PM
KNKGS400
Pole Position

thanks mean gene how do u remove the light between the spoiler if there no screws? should i find something to pray if open without breaking it i assume.
Old 06-25-01, 03:45 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Talking Oops!

K - My fault for not being clearer on the brake light. I actually mean the one that is part of the rear deck lid, not the one in the spoiler. Sometimes the bass will allow the light frame to contact the rear window & rattle. U can remedy this by either trimming back the frame so that there's more of a gap between itself & the rear window ( my preferred method ) or use some foam weatherstripping as a buffer ( works fine but isn't the cleanest looking install ). Depending on where the rattle is, it can also be the rear deck lid stricking the woofer or the enclosure itself. I had to shoot some screws thru my lid to secure it to some of the bracing I built around my box.
Old 06-26-01, 10:24 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by KNKGS400
Need help with rattle that i am getting mostly from my spoiler, and some from truck. Just installed my 2 12" subs JL audio with an MTX Thunder8302 110x2 into 40hms, trust me the sound from the inside cabin is not that bad turn down the bass a bit and the clearity is still good in the front, as for the back you do lose some clarity due to the strong bass in the back, to bad for those sitting in the back over all love the base and sound now expect with the rattle outside?
I'll tell you that in the 98 GS400 there are 2 major rattling areas OUTSIDE of the car (exclude lisence plate) the gas filler rattles so loud it can be heard from blocks away...you need to tighten the way it closes i used 2 pieces of dynomat on top of each other worked perfect

#2 inside the back bumper if you lie down on the ground toward the driver exhaust pipe look inside the bumper with a flash light and your system banging...you will see a little peice of plastic that is just loose and vibrating really hard

solution peice of cardboard against that peice of plastic (i used 1 peice folded 2 times and got it to fit really tight) don't worry it won't get wet the bumper is really covering it.

now all that's left for my car is to stop the rear deck from vibrating

Hey Mean Gene show me where you put the screws into your deck i really need to do something like that
Old 06-27-01, 10:33 AM
KNKGS400
Pole Position

thanks guys i am bring the car back today, but the main rattle is somehow coming from the light on the spoiler when hold onto the light no rattle at all? JUST came back from the audio shop. The guy used some type of device for the amp to be able to turn on/off, but the thing is when i shut off my stereo there is this loud thump and the guy told me that there nothing i can do about that is that true? also as for my amp found out they bridge my amp is that okay for the amp to be in bridge mode all the time? anyinput would help

Last edited by KNKGS400; 06-27-01 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-28-01, 05:13 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Amp

K - Bridging your amp's fine if it doesn't put the impedance load down to where the amp's stable. Figure that any reputable amp will play in a 2 ohm load all day long - how R your woofers wired? As far as the turn on noise, sounds like a wiring problem or a weak battery. MTX amps don't normally have an audible turn on noise.
Old 06-29-01, 12:50 PM
KNKGS400
Pole Position

Gene, what they install was a remote adapter to turn on the amp when the radio turn on, but now its when i turn off the radio there a delay for the amp to shut off and so= there this loud THUMP when the amp shuts off, very up set the guy told me that there nothing he can do about that...for of shi! in my case, please help