Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

components, coaxials, or midrange?

Old 06-29-01, 01:19 PM
new to lexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hey all, I'm putting a system into my sc300 (7-speaker pioneer) and noticed that the back speakers are midrange?

Do you guys think I should just put in new midranges? Or should I go with some high quality 2-ways (coaxials)?

I would put in components but I really don't want to create a new location for the tweets. Even if I did, where would I put em?

And does anyone know if the rear feed is even a full-range signal? Cuz if its not, I'm wasting my time considering anything but midrange speakers! (there's no external amp for the speakers in my car so if the line was limited it would have to be directly from the head)

If I hook up tweeters to the wires going to the rear speakers, and I hear anything, should I assume that it is a full range signal?

Thanx!

Last edited by new to lexus; 06-29-01 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-30-01, 06:39 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Best Guess!

New - Never worked on an SC but based on the previous Pioneer/Lexus systems, I'd say that U're correct when assuming that's a full-range signal going to the rear speakers. Easiest improvement would be to drop in a quality set of coaxials ( as U said ) like the Pro series from Boston Acoustics. Would really justify the swap if U'd use a bigger amp at this point to power them but try the speaker change first. Maybe some of the SC guys ( Scott? ) can tell ya what's in there already. Probably is the same little wimpy 4" full-range ( HA! ) driver from Pioneer that the GS4 has - what year is your SC?
Old 06-30-01, 12:40 PM
sirsomo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it were me I would look at replacing the facotry speakers with a plate or create a plate for components out of mdf. I have never been really impressed with coax's personally. I think the rear deck is full-range, you could test this by testing them with a tweeter. Sorry Im not much help