Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Anyone running 6.5" in the front?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-04, 09:31 AM
Josey
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is what I thought , and my research on the matter got the same conclusion; It ca be done but is very difficult. O.K. You are right, it will make no sense to put a mcintosh behind the stock amp. So, I will go with the Zapco, and the line converters. I am thinking of 4 channel amp, one for each door, and two line converters. The Zapco C2K-2.5X I like , what do you think ?
Old 07-07-04, 10:38 AM
Josey
Driver

The reason am asking opinions is because am not sure what wattage for channel can work best with the 240GTs. The Zapco C2K-2.5 is 50X4 will that be enough ? you guys have the experience , or, I then have to get the 100x4 . Please, I can use help here. THANKS
Old 07-07-04, 10:38 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Mc pieces are quite expensive and most dealers won't cut a good price on them. I'd be very careful about buying them off of Ebay since you don't know the conidition (internally) of the equipment. That goes for pretty much any electronics gear.

Engin_ear mentioned that the weakest link is the stock amp and I definitely agree! But, if you want to keep the stock head unit, you'll have to keep the stock amp with it. The 2nd gen GS isn't as easy to "hack" as the earlier SC cars. They have it easy by comparison. If you want to use the equipment to it's fullest potential, get rid of the weak links. That means stock amp, stock head unit. It's going to cost a bit more, but you can upgrade in stages so it doesn't hurt the pocketbook as much.

And yes, you have the right idea...do it right the first time. I'd recommend doing the installation yourself, unless you know an exceptional installer. But, that's more bucks there. Some common sense, knowledge of tools and a bit of info on working in the GS will go a long way. Most important thing when working on your car...SAFETY FIRST.

Percy

Originally posted by Josey
Hey, Percy : Thanks so much for coming to my rescue, man. That`s exactly what I want : The Dynaudio 240 GTs at front, the MW160s with the crossovers in the rear doors , and a nice amp. I will like the Mcintosh better than the Zapco, if I can find a MCC404 with decent price.... please, talk to me a little more about the line output converter , powerlinkII , I think that Crutchfield have it ; what about distortion, and also, am I correct in assuming that I Will need a 4 channel amp for a door for channel and 2 line output converters ? Am just trying to do the right thing, the right way, even if it cost some more... I will do the speakers on the doors, not sure about the amp installation. Let me know if you come up with a price in mcintosh that I won`t have to rob a bank to get it.
Old 07-07-04, 11:10 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dyns love the additional power. HINT.

Percy

Originally posted by Josey
The reason am asking opinions is because am not sure what wattage for channel can work best with the 240GTs. The Zapco C2K-2.5 is 50X4 will that be enough ? you guys have the experience , or, I then have to get the 100x4 . Please, I can use help here. THANKS
Old 07-07-04, 05:12 PM
Josey
Driver

All right, I am getting the C2K-4.0X comp. amp. 100x4 and the Symbylink system. Even thou it is a bit more money(actually, quite more) I think is the right decision. Thanks to all of you, Percy and engin_ear for your help; that helped me to choose correctly. I will let you know the results when I finish the whole thing, next month. Josey