Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Anyone running 6.5" in the front?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-04, 02:41 PM
dannieboiz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running 6.5" in the front?

I know you can fit 5 1/4 but wondering if we can use 6.5 simply because the mid bass is much better. It defeats the purpose of an SQ system w/o the mid bass.
Old 07-01-04, 03:05 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes. I believe you have to modify the enclosure but it should work. I'm going to to 6.5s in front too and I know at least one of my buddies have already done this.

Last edited by Neo; 07-06-04 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-02-04, 09:12 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It depends on the particular dimensions of the speaker that you're thinking of putting in. You need to make sure that there's clearance for the window at the bottom of its travel. If the speaker is too deep, it will hit. You can space out the speaker with a spacer ring or whatever, if you can keep it behind the door panel/grille. Make measurements after you pick a speaker to make sure it will clear. At a minimum, you may need to mount the speaker as far forward, toward the front of the car, as possible.
Old 07-02-04, 10:36 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by engin_ear
It depends on the particular dimensions of the speaker that you're thinking of putting in.
That is true. I know the ones I'm looking at will work but not all 6.5s have the same enclosure/depth. Sorry I left this tidbit out but knew someone else would chime in if I forgot anything.

Last edited by Neo; 07-06-04 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-02-04, 10:42 AM
dannieboiz
Pole Position

what's the deepest speakers can I use? I was thinking some mb quart PCS-216 for the front and just use my old 6.5 kicker res. in the rear
Old 07-03-04, 05:14 AM
DPGS430
Driver

I'm running 7" drivers up front (Dynaudio MW160's), plenty of room using a 3/4" MDF baffle.

Jim
Old 07-03-04, 10:15 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have boston pro 6.5 midbass drivers in my front doors..I made a new enclosure out of mdf and fiberglass and covered it in raamat to avoid any rattling..Kicker makes very shallow 6.5 speakers and I am almost positive that the MB QUART speakers will fit if you make new enclosures..You may also want to check into CDT and image dynamics..
Old 07-03-04, 10:55 AM
dannieboiz
Pole Position

I had CDT's in my previous vehicle and didn't like it. The tweeter would get cut off @ higher volume because the xover would go into protection mode. Tried 2 sets both did the same. But @ moderate volume SQ is by far one of the best I've heard. I like the MB Quart sharp sounding tweeter a little more expecially when I plan on doing a coax mount where the tweets would be far away from the ear vs @ the door panel where it's @ ear level then it can be pretty loud.
Old 07-03-04, 11:02 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

dannieboiz-
I agree that the mb quart tweeters are a bit harsh when mounted at eye level but mounted co-axially would really tone down the tweets...The CDT's are great speakers, but I'm curious about which model did you have and how much power did you have running through them..I never heard of them going into protection..
Old 07-03-04, 11:05 AM
dannieboiz
Pole Position

I was using the CL series, first powered with a fosgate power 800a4 then I had them on an orion 8004. after that I did a vifa PL 7" and the upgraded version of the CDT Tweet with my kicker res xover and I absolutely love it. Mid bass on the PL's are great and the CDT tweeters were not bad either but they were too far away from the ears. They seem to have a hard time keeping up with a pair of 12's Eclipse Alum.
Old 07-03-04, 11:15 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

The vifas provide excellent midbass!! I just couldn't fit it into my door without modifying the door panel and I didn't want huge kicks in the way..My 5.25 kicks take enough space as it is..If you were running a 800.4 you were probably running too much power to your speakers becaue they are only rated at 170 watts rms..the cdt tweets probably don't seem to keep up because they are silk domed instead metal..the silk dome tweeter will almost always give you a more natural sound opposed to the metal dome that will play louder in some cases but tend to be harsher in sound, MB quart is a prime example..Speaker placement is very important as you probably already know and maybe moving your tweeters higher will increase your sound and raise your sounstage..Are you using anything for rear fill??
Old 07-03-04, 11:19 AM
dannieboiz
Pole Position

I had kicker resolution 6.5 components but since I blew one of the tweeter I replaced the fronts with the VIFA and brought the 6.5 to the rear and use it as full range for rear fills. Been working out great.
Old 07-03-04, 11:28 AM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by dannieboiz
I had kicker resolution 6.5 components but since I blew one of the tweeter I replaced the fronts with the VIFA and brought the 6.5 to the rear and use it as full range for rear fills. Been working out great.
Thats cool..I'm running the boston pro 5.5 in kicks and 6.5 in the doors and CDT 4" in the rear doors as rear fill and 1-12w3 JL audio in the rear deck..I plan on upgrading to either the CDT HD 52's or image dynamics chameleons..I like the bostons, but I want something that plays better on lower power..The bostons are really power hungry..
Old 07-05-04, 02:48 PM
Josey
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

O.K. I am in the same hole. Am planning to replace the door speakers in my Lexus GS-400 2000. So far , the ones I like more are the Dynaudio either 220 MKII or 240 MKII . The first are 6" , the second ones are 7". I have 2 questions : 1) Are the modifications that I will have to do on the doors almost the same for the 6" or the 7" , or , going with the 6" will be easier on installation that with the 7" . If it `s the same , I will go with the 7" . 2) What about the rear doors ? Do I have to buy another component set of Dynaudios ? Because I will be using only the midranges, not the twetters.... Maybe Dynaudio sells the midranges (MV150 or MV160) separately. Anybody knows this ? Please, am stock. Thanks ps: I already replaced the stock sub with a 10" Infinity in box, and a mono Zapco amp. Josey
Old 07-05-04, 04:07 PM
Josey
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, anybody has the new 240 Gt Dynaudios installed ? I believe it has the same perfomance of the 240 MKII, but 6.5" instead of 7". I will like to know if they are as good as the MKIIs ,so then I`ll get them. Thanks so much.... Josey

Quick Reply: Anyone running 6.5" in the front?