Sponsored by:

1992 LS400 Nakamichi problem.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-04, 02:27 PM
v8pwr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 LS400 Nakamichi problem.

I'm having trouble with my stereo in 1992 Lexus LS400 with Nakamichi system. It all started when my CD changer stopped working few days ago. Radio displayed "Err" and not play any CD at all. (Radio and tape works fine)

I did try reset button, but nothing.
I checked the CDs for scratches or maybe inserted upside down....nothing.
I took the changer out from the car and took it apart to clean the pickup lens....nothing.
I looked at Lexus repair manual, but it doesn't explain anything about error code on radio.

And today, CD changer completely lost its power (no 12V coming in). There are 2 main power wires coming in to the changer. One is constant 12V, and other should show 12V when ignition is turned on AND radio turned on also. (according to Lexus service manual, it shouldn't show 12V unless radio is on)

However, this wire shows 12V even when stereo is still OFF (ignition is on) And, constant 12V shows nothing.(It was showing constant 12V yesterday!) I did check connectors behind the deck and they shows same voltage as it did at the changer.

Until yesterday, I thought my changer needs to be replaced, but now, it seems like my main deck needs to be replaced/repaired. I know the deck is over 10years old, so it maybe about the time to replace it. I don't mind replacing the deck, but wanted to make sure what is exactly wrong with it. Either the deck, or changer....or something else...?????

Sorry for long post, but I really need help on this. Thanks for your support!
Old 01-22-04, 09:50 AM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

Most guys here will say "search" and if you do you will find all you need to know.
BUT since I have done this here are some answers.
NAK unit is good CD changer is garbage unfortunately you are now going through what we all have been through allready you can't fix it it is toast.
Best bet is to look for a changer from a ES otherwise you have to replace the whole thing, there are no other compatible cd changers other than this and an aftermarket HU wont be compatible with our changers anyway.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news man I had to face this a few months ago.
Old 01-22-04, 11:31 AM
v8pwr
Driver School Candidate

HotBoy.
Hey, Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate. So do you think its my CD changer and not my deck? As I wrote, 12V which should be coming out of deck is not showing 12V.....

What do you think?
Old 01-22-04, 04:49 PM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

yeah man the decks are good but the changers are bad, I would say your changer has just died as did the rest of ours.