LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Can't get the radio to work. Need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-08, 03:35 PM
tallman316
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Can't get the radio to work. Need help!!

I just purchased a '93 Ls400 for $2000 and got a new battery. The radio wasn't working and i thought it was a fuse or something but someone told me that it was the radio anti-theft system. i need to know the steps on how to input the code.

p.s. I don't have the manual...Please help somebody!!
Old 03-22-08, 09:10 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I dont think 1LS had any security codes, but there were four different radios on the 1LS - Pioneer, Pioneer with CD changer, Nakamichi, and Nakamichi with CD changer.

When you're saying it doesn't work, what happens when you try to turn it on? Do you have your dashboard backlights and everything? Try and provide as much information on your problem so we can have a better idea what is causing your problem.
Old 03-23-08, 02:36 AM
tallman316
Driver School Candidate

OK, it basically looks as if everything is on and working but I can't hear anything coming from the speakers. I thought it might be a wire or a fuse but a guy told me about his same year LS400 that had the same exact issue. He told me it was an anti-theft lock system. The radio is a pioneer, no CD changer. I did notice there was a little light with a key next to it (i wish i had a camera right about now). He told me I needed the manual to read the instructions on how to input the code. Then he said it was a 3 or 4 digit code. My other option was to go to the dealer and have them reset it for $50 (I hear it only takes 10 seconds to reset).

I hope this is enough info.
Old 03-24-08, 05:45 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Unless you can contact a previous owner for the security code, you will probably need a dealer. I've never seen anyone post instructions on a Lexus forum on how to reset the code.

I set the code on 90 LS I used to have only once -- just to see if I could -- but I removed the code since these radios are useless to anyone who doesn't have a Lexus.

If it turns out to be a radio problem, there are companies that fix Lexus radios and amplifiers at reasonable prices. And there is always the aftermarket route.

My Nakamichi headunit is "vacationing" in Florida right now being repaired. I have to admit that it is tempting to get a double-DIN all-in-one nav/CD changer/MP3/Bluetooth/iPod/radio since there is plenty of room for one.
Attached Thumbnails Can't get the radio to work. Need help!!-radio-cavity-small.jpg  
Old 03-24-08, 06:06 PM
5ofakind
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take out the radio & get the model Number & Serial number off the back of radio...drive to dealer...show proof of ownership & they will give you a 3 or 4 digit code to reset radio with ...
Old 03-24-08, 10:22 PM
tallman316
Driver School Candidate

OK. i guess I'll have to go to the dealer then.
Old 03-25-08, 02:15 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Good advice from 5ofakind. Save you 50$ if you can provide the information. Then write that code down!

That is the one thing I absolutely despise about the code security 'features'.. people always lose them. They don't deter theft that much, if at all,.. and only cause a hassle to the owners when something goes wrong.

I know my Pioneer , like yours, has never locked.. and I don't have the code. I have replaced the battery, and removed the terminals many times. (I have since changed headunits, but nonetheless it never required a Sec. code).

Good luck sir,
Old 03-31-08, 04:17 PM
loriglass
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tallman316
OK, it basically looks as if everything is on and working but I can't hear anything coming from the speakers. I thought it might be a wire or a fuse but a guy told me about his same year LS400 that had the same exact issue. He told me it was an anti-theft lock system. The radio is a pioneer, no CD changer. I did notice there was a little light with a key next to it (i wish i had a camera right about now). He told me I needed the manual to read the instructions on how to input the code. Then he said it was a 3 or 4 digit code. My other option was to go to the dealer and have them reset it for $50 (I hear it only takes 10 seconds to reset).

I hope this is enough info.
Did you ever find out if it really was the code? I have a 95 SC400 with the same symptoms. You turn it on, the antenna goes up, the stations show, everything looks like it works, but no soundcomes out. We had the battery disconnected for a LONG time (months) coz we weren't driving the car and when we reconnected it, there was no sound. It had worked perfectly before that. I would happily go to the dealer to fix it, if I knew it was just the code.
Old 03-31-08, 08:04 PM
TA92LS
Driver School Candidate

If you are talking about Superior Lexus, last I checked, they did not charge anything to remove the code on the radio.
Old 04-01-08, 12:31 PM
tallman316
Driver School Candidate

I called Lexus and they told me it might be a fuse in the fuse box. i don't see a diagram on, in, or around the car. where can i go to fins the diagram?
Old 04-01-08, 04:08 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

the owner's manual has diagrams for fuse locations.

there are also diagrams on the inside covers (or outside) of the fuse boxes themselves.
Old 02-11-12, 01:18 PM
PalmsSC400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tallman316

p.s. I don't have the manual...Please help somebody!!
So yeah could be a problem