Sponsored by:

HELP! bypassing stock amp/Wiring Q's

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-04, 06:39 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! bypassing stock amp/Wiring Q's

Alright, my speakers are coming in friday.

How do I bypass the stock amp and still keep the cd player(I have a 98 GS with Pioneer)

Also, where should I hook up the in-line converter? As close as possible? HELP!

Any threads you saved with important information?
Old 01-21-04, 09:16 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

your factory radio does not push any wattage, you will have no power on the speakers if you bypass the amp.

if you are running an external amp, simply drop new speaker wire from the amp.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 01-21-04 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-22-04, 08:45 AM
rjheard
Driver

Sorry, you can't bypass the factory amp and keep the factory CD changer. The factory CD changer controls the switching for the head unit as far as the CD changer is concerned. The only way will be to use a line level converter if you keep the factory head unit and changer. I don't know of any head unit that will control the factory changer or any changer that will work with the factory head unit.
Old 01-22-04, 10:58 AM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

I'm sorry let me rephrase. I am keeping the stock head-unit, and I would like to keep the stock cd changer. I went to car-toys and they said they could bypass the stock amp no problem. I want to do the install myself since they quoted me 500 bucks to wire everything.

I was wondering what I would have to do to get wires to go to my external amp. I know i need a line level converter, but where? Where do i hook it up to get the cleanest signal?
Old 01-22-04, 11:22 AM
rjheard
Driver

I think it is incorrect to say they can "bypass" the factory amp and use the factory cd changer. A line level converter will be needed to keep both factory head unit and amp. A wiring diagram and other great stuff can be found on this Clublexus members page. Look under "Upgrade you stereo"

http://lexusmodz.netfirms.com/
Old 01-22-04, 05:44 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: HELP! bypassing stock amp/Wiring Q's

Originally posted by Blue98Gs3
Alright, my speakers are coming in friday.

How do I bypass the stock amp and still keep the cd player(I have a 98 GS with Pioneer)

Also, where should I hook up the in-line converter? As close as possible? HELP!

Any threads you saved with important information?
maybe this will help https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=angelslex

Last edited by angelslex; 01-22-04 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-22-04, 06:40 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for the try, but ive got the pioneer non-navi...
Old 01-22-04, 08:50 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

OK, let's go through this ONE MORE TIME.

all you are doing is pulling the amp, it is as easy as pulling the plugs out of the amp and jumping the wires from the inputs to an rca convertor, then coming out of the amp to the output plug you disconnected from the pioneer amp.

you stand to use a total of about 12 ft of speaker wire if your lucky. cut into 8 pieces. so.... someone is really trying to screw you on that deal. I don't have the pioneer diagrams, but i do know for a fact they are floating around here because i have seen them last year. do a few different searches and you'll find it.

speaker wire= $5
pac rca convertor= $15

they are trying to charge you $485 labor? Christ....
Old 01-22-04, 09:03 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, let me get this straight....

I pull the inputs on the amp (i guess they're will be 5 of them) and convert them to rca, then they go to my amp, speaker wire runs out of the external amp back to the speakers or back through the stock amp? What's the best speaker wire?
Old 01-23-04, 12:13 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

the only thing that seperates your head unit from the speakers is that amp. right?

if you unplugged the amps inputs and outputs and (they wont, but go along with it) plugged the input and output plugs together you would have just done an amp bypass and your head unit would be connected directly to your speakers, right?

so all you are basically doing is removing the input plug, tapping a connector on it to fit into your new amp (the convertor) and that takes care of the inputs.

The amps outputs would hook to the old amps output plug which is nothing more than a plug of wires running to the speakers. as long as you know which wires run to the speakers, what is stopping you from plugging the wires into the new amp? nothing. just use some new wire to jump over from the plug to the new amp. 14 gauge to 16 gauge will do.

that diagram is around here somewhere.
Old 01-23-04, 12:18 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

by the way, you do not need the convertor that converts high level to low level, these types of convertors have a reduction system in them that takes the 25 watts of power and reduces it to about 800ma. thereby cutting almost all of the voltage out. your stock radio does not put any out to begin with, so the only thing you need is a convertor that DOES NOT reduce the voltage, but simply converts speaker wires to rca's.

if you are feeling really brave, simply pick up some decent quality rca jacks from radio shack and wire them yourself. they come without wire in them and the wires from the inputs of the amp would be your rca wires. Positive goes in the middle. Negative goes on the outside jacket.