IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Had Car Less Than 2 Month Crack windowshield

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-15, 11:08 AM
rxqd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think you mean comprehensive coverage? i'm not aware there is window insurance you're referring to.
Old 02-19-15, 11:19 AM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I had about 5k miles on my IS350 F when a rock hit me so hard that it cracked the window. The crack was about 3-4" in length. Due to it being winter ( im in MD so its cold ) the crack spread to almost the full length on the windshild. My replacement was Free. I have USAA, and a $0 dediable. The retail cost the windshild was about 1500 bucks. Safelite did the install. They used OEM parts due to the car being so new. I guess the lesson learned, is have good insurance.
Old 02-19-15, 02:17 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by rxqd
I just saw a crack on my windowshield from a debris likely now i'm trying to find out how to get it replaced because its definitely bigger than a dollar bill. I'm so damn **** my car has like 2000 miles on it and this happens. I called lexus they said the service advisor was going to get back to me but he didn't but I did call about 30 min before 6pm. My question is,

a)approx how much would 100% OEM windowshield would cost, i google previously for other lexus 1400-1900?!!!!
b)would my insurance cover 100% OEM windowshield or just OEM quality/aftermarket windowshield
c)dealer will not touch glass and say they usually let third party do these type of matters, what is a reputable autoglass repair
d)i'm so ****ing **** its not cover under my extended extra warranty I bought for 2g when i bought the car 2 month ago.
I too got an ugly crack on my windshield after about 3 months on my 350 F-Sport. I had it repaired at first because I just shudder at the thought of what a poor quality windshield replacement could do, especially since nearly all dealerships subcontract out this service. It was about 6" long but close to the edge of the glass on the drivers side. The patch did not hold unfortunately and it slowly extended about 1' into my line of sight. Fortunately, there isn't much glare so I'm going to keep it like this until the after spring street cleaning to suck up all the gravel on the roads from winter sanding.

To answer your questions:
a) I was shocked at the expensive part price on Sewell and other OEM Lexus parts sites. The price came to about ~$1500 just for the glass. When I called up the 2 local dealers, I was quote $800 for OEM glass including install. Keep in mind this in Canada . Also, we have the cold weather package, which simply means the glass has windshield wiper heaters.
b) I assume your car is 2015 MY, so you should insist nothing less than OEM. Locally, I found out that aftermarket glass doesn't even exist yet for 2015.
c) The only good thing about going through the dealer for windshield replacement, is that they are responsible for install quality issues, should any arise. The Lexus dealership will have a higher probability of responding to your potential concerns than any glass shop.
d) It is expected no warranty would would ever cover glass damage unless it was stress related.

Some additional thoughts about OEM glass: I previously had an Acura TSX before with glass from AGC glass (the OEM maker for the IS350 and TSX windshields). I don't have much evidence, but I have a feeling that AGC glass is quite fragile. With the original glass on the my IS350 and TSX, I am/was constantly getting rock chips. After getting an aftermarket replacement on my TSX with PGW glass, the occurrence of chips dramatically decreased. Anyone else notice this?
Old 02-19-15, 03:05 PM
Ecko508
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glass insurance is like rental coverage! Makes no sense not too have it considering how cheap it is!
Old 02-19-15, 05:45 PM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

a) Approx how much would 100% OEM windowshield would cost, i google previously for other lexus 1400-1900?!!!!
I just had mine replaced (I also have the 2015 model). The dealership quoted me ~$1600 for OEM windshield with install, but I went through a local Safelite office instead, and it was a few hundred cheaper.

b) Would my insurance cover 100% OEM windowshield or just OEM quality/aftermarket windowshield
You'll need to ask your insurance about that. It depends on your deductible. Cracked windshield due to rocks or debris counts as an accident.

c ) Dealer will not touch glass and say they usually let third party do these type of matters, what is a reputable autoglass repair
Not every dealership have that kind of expertise. The closest one to where I live is about 1 hr away, and they won't give you a loaner. They ALWAYS outsource to Safelite like others have said. So if you know any Safelite locations near you, they will come out to your office or home to replace it for you.

d) I'm so ****ing **** its not cover under my extended extra warranty I bought for 2g when i bought the car 2 month ago.
Same here. Apparently it doesn't cover windwhield damage that requires replacements. They only do repairs, which, again, is by a 3rd party.
Old 02-20-15, 01:14 PM
djwoody
Driver School Candidate

I also just went through this. A rock hit the middle of my '14 IS350 windshield on the highway in December and at first I couldn't even see a chip. A day later there was a tiny star-shaped crack. I should have gone right there and then and had it filled (for a hundred bucks). But I didn't and it eventually spread the full length of the windshield.

My insurance deductible is $1000 so there was no point making a claim. I shelled out around $1200 to have it replaced with the OEM part at SpeedyGlass. Hope this doesn't happen again as insurance premiums are ridiculously high in Toronto and having a high deductible is the only way to make them affordable.
Old 03-23-15, 11:54 PM
elevenb
Driver School Candidate

Dammit!!! Just had my windshield crack today. (2014 IS350 F Sport with just under 4,500 miles.) The crack is at least 8 inches long and just appeared during my commute from the office to home. No sound of rock collisions at all. Crack started in the center of the windshield, at the bottom.

I'm wondering if the glass they use is just really crappy quality. My previous car was a 2006 Honda Pilot, and the windshield took an awful lot of abuse with only a couple of small chips that went unrepaired for years and never cracked.

I'm thinking insurance will cover me. I think i get free rock-chip repair, and maybe a couple-hundred deductible for replacement. What is a good after-market brand of windshield? I'll be damned if I'm going to use OEM if it is this fragile.