IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Accident Feedback (IS 350 F SPORT)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-14, 03:49 AM
SunnyPanx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident Feedback (IS 350 F SPORT)

Dear all,

I have recently hit a cat doing 80 km/h it was chasing another cat couldnt do anything abt it , anyways since the front bumper is mostly plastic , part of the grill pushed back breaking a few plastic hooks on the way , and the front lip support to next to the grill by the airflow ducts broke off, showroom quoted $600 to replace the entire bumper.

Just comes to show that the bumper is quite weak , but avoid cats nonetheless .
Old 08-18-14, 04:10 AM
FinaLpeace
Driver

Poor cat...... I would feel more sorry for the cat than the cost to replace the bumper, but is the front end really that weak? It's a cat that weigh less than 50 pounds.

The other day some idiot woman who obviously cannot drive struggles to park in front of me and ended up hitting my front end. I tempt to honk her, but didn't expect her to hit me after moving back and forth for 2 times coming close to my front end. Stupid of me, but from now on I will always honk at idiots who park in front of me. She had a huge space too.

Well story ended where my license plate was damage and my grill had a tiny spot of paint chip off, but the part of the grill where it was hit (right side) would definitely be loosen up by the impact compare to the left side. Anyway just saying how even a 2.5k 1999 honda accord can't even destroy my grill, maybe it's different when you're going 80 km/h XD.

Poor cat Btw $600 only to replace the bumper? Does the bumper include the grill as well? Since you mention the grill is damage. If it does then that's a good deal I guess.
Old 08-18-14, 04:13 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FinaLpeace
Poor cat...... I would feel more sorry for the cat than the cost to replace the bumper, but is the front end really that weak? It's a cat that weigh less than 50 pounds.

The other day some idiot woman who obviously cannot drive struggles to park in front of me and ended up hitting my front end. I tempt to honk her, but didn't expect her to hit me after moving back and forth for 2 times coming close to my front end. Stupid of me, but from now on I will always honk at idiots who park in front of me. She had a huge space too.

Well story ended where my license plate was damage and my grill had a tiny spot of paint chip off, but the part of the grill where it was hit (right side) would definitely be loosen up by the impact compare to the left side. Anyway just saying how even a 2.5k 1999 honda accord can't even destroy my grill, maybe it's different when you're going 80 km/h XD.

Poor cat Btw $600 only to replace the bumper? Does the bumper include the grill as well? Since you mention the grill is damage. If it does then that's a good deal I guess.
TBF its designed to break. How else do you think it got 5 Star EURO NCAP? Its safer for the pedestrian and has nothing to do with how strong the actual structure of the car is
Old 08-18-14, 08:27 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I hit a raccoon doing about the same speed in my 2IS. Cracked the bumper just above the fog light and loosened the driver side fender lining.
Old 08-18-14, 09:09 AM
997c2
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I also feel way worse for the cat..but to address the OP, check this out. I was switching cars into the garage 2 weeks ago, putting my GF's in. I left my car in park (so I thought) and stepped out. Unfortunately I was still in D (coming from a manual tranny...what an idiot!) and the car nosed about a foot at idle into the brick wall. Scratched the bumper cover and grille. As a punishment for myself, I went the full fix and rather than repair the bumper, replaced both the bumper cover and the grille, I replaced both with OEM Lexus parts. Of course it had to be painted. The body shop gave me a pretty hard time saying that I was going over the top replacing the bumper cover as they felt they could repair it "good as new", but I wanted it totally new (since the car is...new)
Lexus quoted me right at $1500. The indy got it at $1150. Atomic Silver.
Old 08-18-14, 09:28 AM
997c2
Driver

By the way, the grille is separate, the grille surround is separate, the emblem is separate.
Old 08-20-14, 11:20 PM
SunnyPanx
Driver School Candidate

the $600 is just for the bumper the grill and everything behind it was intact luckily
Old 08-21-14, 05:46 AM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 997c2
I also feel way worse for the cat..but to address the OP, check this out. I was switching cars into the garage 2 weeks ago, putting my GF's in. I left my car in park (so I thought) and stepped out. Unfortunately I was still in D (coming from a manual tranny...what an idiot!) and the car nosed about a foot at idle into the brick wall. Scratched the bumper cover and grille. As a punishment for myself, I went the full fix and rather than repair the bumper, replaced both the bumper cover and the grille, I replaced both with OEM Lexus parts. Of course it had to be painted. The body shop gave me a pretty hard time saying that I was going over the top replacing the bumper cover as they felt they could repair it "good as new", but I wanted it totally new (since the car is...new)
Originally Posted by SunnyPanx
the $600 is just for the bumper the grill and everything behind it was intact luckily
Do these prices include labor?
Old 08-21-14, 08:58 AM
997c2
Driver

My prices include labor
Old 08-21-14, 02:56 PM
Hermes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 997c2
Definitely thought this story was going somewhere else. Thought you were going to tell us how you got out of your car and it rolled into a cat lol.
Old 08-21-14, 04:13 PM
997c2
Driver

Hahaa! I see that my lead in was sort of vague. Glad (but not glad) it was the wall